PDA

View Full Version : BA Sponsorship Applicants

Irishboy
19th Apr 2001, 02:50
Ok Guys,

I sent in my application over a month ago. I received an initial acknowledgement of my application but nothing since. How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Thanks in advance

P.S. How much does it cost to do it yourself full-time at Oxford?

Captain-Ireland
19th Apr 2001, 03:31
Hey IrishBoy it tooks about a week to get back to me once i sent in the app.. But they turned me down i guess i should have taken more care in filling the dam thing in.

Where abouts in Ireland do you live. I am in Belfast

Good luck flying.

P.S. OATS is about £55,000 i think others like SFT are around £33,000 and others are cheeper like PAN AM IFTA is about £20,000 (i think)..

Irishboy
19th Apr 2001, 03:38
Hi Captain,

I'm in Dublin. 55 grand for OATS - f***in hell - think I can forget about that!!! Tell me more about SFT and PAN AM IFTA - do you have any websites or contact info for them? Where are they based?

So what are you doing now - are you gonna pay for it yourself or try to get sponsorship from some other company?

Sprawler
19th Apr 2001, 11:54
Irishboy, I sent in my application at the end of December. Got the acknowledgement letter about a week later. Didn't hear from them again for about another 6-8 weeks later. Heading over at the end of May for the aptitudes. All in all, about a 6 month wait! The fact that you haven't heard anything yet is probably a good sign. I think they are just up to their neck in processing applications at the mo. Despite the wait, they are still far more professional to deal with than Aer Lingus.

Best of luck...

[This message has been edited by Sprawler (edited 19 April 2001).]

Captain-Ireland
19th Apr 2001, 17:14
PAN AM is http://www.panamacademy.com/

and SFT is http://www.sft.co.uk/

Its a good idea to buy an aviation mag they have advertisements for all the schools in there

Irishboy
19th Apr 2001, 21:57
Thanks for the info lads.

What is that saying, "Speak of the devil and he shall appear"! Well, BA got back to me and I've to go for an assessment at the end of June. Someone is to phone me back with more details next week.

Sprawler - are you from Ireland? What's the story with flights, etc. I priced one today with Aer Lingus and it is £341 return - pwh - what a rip-off! Do BA give you anything towards it?

cessnajock
20th Apr 2001, 01:13
BA will pay for your air fare if you are a student, just ring cranebank and they will orgainise everything. You just have to pick up ur tickets at the desk in the airport. ( i flew from aldergove for both the initial assesment, and the final board for free, but had to spend £200 staying in a hotel near the airport. The first shuttle to Heathrow in the morning doesn't get there in time for the start of the final board, and all the hotels near cranebank are mega expensive so be prepared!). Good luck at the aptitudes!!!! Don't Panic!

[This message has been edited by cessnajock (edited 19 April 2001).]

daviesm
20th Apr 2001, 01:24
don't worry, i sent my form off about a month ago as well and i have only just received a letter asking me to go to the aptitude testing on the 9th July.

Anyone else got theirs on the same day?????

WAIF-er
20th Apr 2001, 02:17
I phoned BA today as I hadnt heard anything since my initial acceptance of application form, about 6 weeks ago.

I am glad I called as they sent a letter out to me asking to ring them, but the letter never arrived!

Guys, if youve been waiting a while, just give em a ring incase the worst has happened.

Sprawler
20th Apr 2001, 12:04
Irishboy, born and raised right here in Bhaile Átha Cliath. Fly out of EIWT.

Flights from DUB to LHR are a f$@king rip-off. The cheapest flight is IR£354 with BMI. That's business class. An economy class ticket would have cost IR£405!!! Crazy or what? I had to ask if she was having me on. Aer Lingus is about the same price, but with all their industrial relation problems at the mo, I'd be worried that the one day I was due to travel they would be on strike! Bloody unions!! You could go to one of the other London airports for less, but you'd have a bit of a trek to Cranebank.

As far as I know, if you are a student or you are unemployed, BA will pay for 100% of your travel expenses. If you are working, they will pay 75%. So, you may as well enjoy travelling business class.

That only leaves the cost of accommodation to burn a hole in your pocket. You can get some decent B&B's around the Hounslow area for £40-£50. If you go for this option, try to get something near the tube. Hotels around the Heathrow area cost from GB£65. I stayed in a B&B in Hounslow last time I was over. I think I got about 3 hours sleep max. After recommendations from fellow PPRUNER's I've opted for the Heathrow Travel Lodge this time, GB£69. It may be more expensive than a B&B but if I can get a decent night's sleep and a good breakfast the next morning, hopefully I can do a little better this time.

Best of luck...

Rescue115
20th Apr 2001, 14:33
Hi Folks,

I'm on my way over at the end of May. Has anyone been before. What are the group exercises like and is there any useful preparation for the psychometric tests ?.

wunala dreaming
23rd Apr 2001, 14:30
Sprawler and Irishboy,

nice to see a few Irish ppruners knockin' around! Waiting on further replies from BA myself, though my application only went in a couple of weeks ago. We'll see how that goes. Sprawler, have you already been through the mill with once before, and if so, any experiences to share?

I think it's worthwhile to have a look around and consider the self-sponsored route while waiting for BA to decide who they want! Trying to do that myself at the moment, just gathering info on schools etc. Have you got any hours built up yourself, do you intend working towards the PPL etc?

Irishboy, some of the guys on here seem to reckon that going the modular route can cost just as much as a fully integrated course by the time you're done. It's all a bit confusing really, such is the maze of options, but we must drive on and see what we come up with!!

All the best,
WD.

Sprawler
23rd Apr 2001, 16:39
Wunala Dreaming,

I went thorough the BA selection process about 2 years ago. Only got as far as the aptitude tests. Passed them all except for the maths tests. The mistake I made, which I wont be doing this time, was that I became obsessed with the time left. I ended up spending more time looking at my watch than looking at the questions. Best thing to do is just plough right through them and don't look up until you are told time is up.

You're right about assessing your other options. I am almost finished my PPL. Should hopefully have it finished by June (weather permitting). By that time I'll know whether or not I've made it to Final Board with BA. Either way, I don't plan on making any decisions on my next move until September. In the meantime though, I'm researching all the various options and flight schools. I might have a go at AFT's partial sponsorship. I'm also looking at the South African option. A bit of a nightmare, I'm sure you'll agree.

If you have any questions, just send me a mail and I'll be happy to answer them...if I can. In the meantime, best of luck.

tigershark1
25th Apr 2001, 16:49
Daviesm I also have the tests on July 9th, long time to wait but hopefully will be worth it. Have you been before, this is my second attempt....? :)

Has anyone been for the apt tests this year, has the format changed ie maths, verbal , control test.
Little hint, if anyone is flying in one of the guys last time was able to sit in the jump seat as he told the girl at the desk that he was going for the scheme..could be a good way of checking things out?! could be a good one for you irish boyz..

T :)

jonathang
25th Apr 2001, 19:10
I received a reply from BA today 25/04/01. It said that I was to phone quoting a reference number. I was told my apptitude testing day would be the 16th of July. I received the reply after 2 weeks.

Anyone else going on the 16th of July?

Jonathan

Trislander
26th Apr 2001, 16:32
Are BA likely to turn you down for sponsorship if you've already got a PPL???

I heard this somewhere but I don't know if it's true?

Cheers, Tri

Quicksilver
26th Apr 2001, 17:05
Absolutely not!

If you've already put your own money in, it can only help to show that you are committed to flying,

just make sure that you don't get too many hours - many airlines don't want to waste time unteaching bad habits. Believe me you'll get them when up enjoying yourself.

I understand that BA have a max in the region of 125hrs, but this depends on what you have been doing etc.

do it and it'll make you even more determined and you'll be on your way if BA doesn't come up.

best of luck

Quick

Bunty Boy
26th Apr 2001, 17:51
Hi guys,

Irish boy - Got invited to an interview 2-3 weeks after the first letter was sent acknowledging my application.

Everyone else - I'm going for my first round on the 11th June. Anyone else going to be around then? Any suggestions from the experts that have been through all this before?

Cheers
Bunty

matt747
26th Apr 2001, 19:56
Bunty,

I am also going for aptitude tests on the 11th June.

E-mail me if you want to chat, it would be nice to know someone when there!

Cheers,

Matt
:)