PDA

View Full Version : Approach plates

MJR
24th Apr 2002, 09:32
Hi Dooders,

Just for a laugh, I am reconvening my IR soon and I was wondering if anyone has worked out what DME distance you should be just before turning inbound to the beacon on the
26 ILS plate, assuming still air and 120kts in the hold.

Second question can someone advise me what the most up to date Aerad plates for the following are:

Bristol
Filton
Cardiff
Exeter
Yeovil
Gloucester.

cheers

MJR

Genome_Junkie
24th Apr 2002, 09:59
MJR

It would help if you told us at which airport.

You can get approach charts for free from AIS on the web. They are in the AIP Aerodrome Section.

They are not the Aerad though and if you only have used the Aerad/Jepps it takes a little getting used to them.

Incidentally, the UK is one of the ONLY countries (as far as I am aware of) who make all this information available on the net. VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!

Cheers

foghorn
24th Apr 2002, 10:16
List of online Official Aeronautical Publications (http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/linkslist/www_list.html)

Pats on the back for Spain and Denmark also - both have their AIPs fully online.

MJR
24th Apr 2002, 11:20
Dear Scanners

Ah yes after editing out all the spelling mistakes I seem to have removed some vital information like EXETER!

I have studied the AIP aerodrome section, and these plates are newer than mine, however I am used to using Aerads so I was wondering how quickly these keep track of the AIP's.

The one disadvantage of using the AIP's that I can see is that you need more bits of paper as the LOC/DME plates are published seperately.

I would still appreciate an answer to the original question now I have hopefully provided all the pertinent information. The reason for this particular enquiry as I am sure many of you will know is that Exeter has an displaced NDB with the DME on the airfield itself. So in order to gate my position for my inbound turn I need to know the approximate RMI position and DME distance just to know all is working well Ha! Ha!

cheers

Tinstaafl
24th Apr 2002, 13:21
It's a time based hold ie a 1min pattern, so you should turn at 1 min on the outbound, adjusted as necessary for known/estimated HWC/TWC. It's not a DME based hold.

As (very) rule of thumb, in nil wind a 1 min pattern will have the ADF needle ~30 deg from the tail, a 2 min pattern ~15 or so.

In a 2min pattern you can use this to do a sort of DR track correction at the outbound 1min point. Double the ADF deviation from the 30deg position & adjust heading by that amount. Make sure the sense is correct!

If the needle is closer to the tail than 30deg you're too close & need to turn AWAY from the holding pattern. More than 30 deg you're too far & need to turn more into the holding pattern.