PDA

View Full Version : Statement from OC RAF BBMF

CoffmanStarter
15th Mar 2013, 15:07
Seems a shame ?

15 March 2013

Statement from OC RAF BBMF – Sqn Ldr Duncan Mason.

To all Lincolnshire’s Lancaster Association Members.

You will all have received an “Important Notice” today from the Lincolnshire’s Lancaster Associations Council of Management.

The contents of this letter had not been disclosed to me and I am greatly saddened that LLA have decided to cease support of the RAF BBMF with effect from the end of March.

The LLA has, under the Stewardship of Chairman Stuart Stevenson, been a steadfast supporter of the Flight for many years. I have made it clear in my discussions with Stuart that I hoped that, although the formation of the BBMF Club would give a larger proportion of the population the opportunity to support the Flight, I would do my utmost to ensure that the two organisations progressed together into the future. I am disappointed that the LLA committee has decided against this.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support and engagement over the years; the projects you have supported have made an immense difference to the Flight. I urge you to continue your support through the Club. To those that wish to support us I want to assure you that the Club is fully endorsed by both the Flight and the Royal Air Force. In being a Club Member you will have more opportunity than ever to be involved in what we do and how we do it.

I would also like to assure all of LLAs members that we will certainly hold our LLA day this year. The date this year is Sunday 29th September and we will ensure that it is more successful than ever.

Our supporters club is an exciting new venture and we will be announcing details of how to join very soon.

Statement from OC RAF BBMF (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=4EB0A25D-5056-A318-A8B401A65FB27638&rss=true&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
15th Mar 2013, 15:30
From LLA website:

Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association

Lincolnshire's Lancaster Association is a Registered Charity that holds a unique position as the official support Group for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

http://www.lancaster-association.co.uk/default.aspx

Duncs:ok:

BBMFPRO
15th Mar 2013, 18:00
Thank you for all your comments regarding the new club and messages of support for the Flight. The reason RAF BBMF decided to start a separate supporters club was solely due to the fact that LLA could not cope with the administration of a membership more than 6000. We wanted to offer the chance to be associated with RAF BBMF to far more people and to increase our PR footprint across our following – at a national and international level. OC RAF BBMF, Sqn Ldr Dunc Mason.

CoffmanStarter
15th Mar 2013, 18:14
Cheers PRO :ok:

Scottso
15th Mar 2013, 21:36
Good luck present OC BBMF and LLA Council; may your separation be short. It can not have been an easy decision to part.

As a former member of BBMF from ’81 through the ’85 season I have good reason to know the support that the LLA gave to the Flight in its formative years as an established RAF Display Team. MOD money for spares and for PR material was very tight. The LLA willingly and handsomely supported the Flight at that time and through the period beforehand when the Flight operated very much on a self-help basis. The name suggests that their interest was purely Lancaster based, it was not.

There were times when the LLA were able to source spares and industry support which the RAF could not. This was not just material to enhance the basic flying airframe – in at least one case it was a complete engine and spares. In fact many spares, probably many tons, were acquired through the LLA. From time to time we heard of suitable spares being available on the private market and it was through the financial support of the LLA that we could submit a holding bid until the MOD could approve the purchase. In some cases the LLA funded the purchase directly. I believe it would be safe to say that were it not for the LLA it is unlikely that the BBMF would be in as good fettle as it is today.

Incidental to that, a number of LLA members have or had positions in industries which supported the Flight, such as the gentleman from Sheffield who was able to source and provide the necessary single billet of metal which was required so that a replacement Hurricane radiator could be manufactured in about ’83 .

Much of the LLA funds came from visitors to the Flight and those who thought the Flight was worth supporting – these visits were hosted, in the main by LLA members, many of whom had been active during the war in the military or industry. It was a mechanism which allowed the public to feel that their money was directly helping to keep the Flight operating. They saw their pennies or pounds as actually keeping the aircraft in the air - and they were when it came to paying for stainless steel exhaust stubs etc.

A different form of support showed when on one occasion the MOD called for a fuel cut back of, I think, 10%. The embargo was to apply to BBMF without exception. That would have meant an immediate reduction of at least an equivalent number of displays. It took about 30 mins from a telephone call to Stuart Stephenson to explain the predicament for an immediate offer from a major civilian aviation fuel company to make up the difference so as to maintain the schedule. There were to be no conditions. The fuel cut back lifted very shortly afterwards.

The LLA membership also provided a conduit to other echelons and levels within the MOD that were not normally available.

The LLA provided the black nomex flight suits and white sweaters plus the off-duty team clothing of blazer, slacks, tie etc. Prior to that it was home died standard RAF flight suits.- and green flight sweaters – there was no standardised civvy kit, or any funding to buy any.

The LLA also provided video cameras, an answerphone and the entire ‘gizzit’ collection and vendors at displays. It gave a facility to enhance the Flight’s collection of Memorabilia.

I believe the LLA was instrumental in the Lancaster being honoured with the Freedom of the City of Lincoln – and also with the award of the Flight’s Crest more recently.

I am desperately sorry to hear that this long standing bond has been broken, for whatever reason. Maybe it can be re-established to the benefit of all.

As an ex BBMF CO may I thank all LLA Members, and all other members of the public who have supported the Flight through the LLA, for your amazing financial and physical help in keeping the Flight going and enhancing its visibility. I doubt many people, including current members of the Flight, or perhaps the present LLA, really understand the bond that existed twenty to thirty years ago.

I understand the wish to form a BBMF club but will such a Club be able to directly and indirectly support the Flight in the same way? Would it have been possible for the Flight to have assisted the LLA in some way with the areas in which the LLA was hurting? A bit of give back if you will. Perhaps a modified Club might be created to assist the LLA, which is a Registered Charity, with associated benefits. Will the BBMF Club achieve these? Could it be restructured to reduce the differences in interest?

Safe flying for 2013. Happy days.

Scott A

Lima Juliet
15th Mar 2013, 21:56
You will all have received an “Important Notice” today from the Lincolnshire’s Lancaster Associations Council of Management.

Err, nope, I haven't...

This is a great shame and I concur with Scott's sentiments above. I was lucky enough to do 3 seasons with the Flight and I know what great support LLA have given. They even helped underwrite the fledgling BBMF Association for all ex-BBMF members; for which we all became members of LLA as well (and is why I know I haven't heard anything).

I'll maintain a holding pattern on this to see how it develops but will show loyalty to both parties throughout as I have the deepest respect for both.

Lest we forget

LJ

BBMFPRO
20th Mar 2013, 14:14
To all LLA Members and friends.

Just in case you do not know, I was taken Ill early in January in Tenerife .

After been in hospital over there I got back to Lincoln and was admitted into Lincoln County Hospital - condition serious.

I was unaware of anything until the end of January and remained in hospital until mid February.

I had been suffering from viral encephalitis which I am told has a mortality rate of 80% so I feel that I am lucky to be one of the 20 out of 100 to come through it at all with few after effects , though I still have little energy and have to walk with a stick.

I was told that I should avoid stress at all costs and in mid February I retired from Lincolnshire 's Lancaster Association..

My reason for writing this is to let members know that I have had no part in the letter which has been circulated with the AGM notice.

I have been Chairman for 34 years and I feel that I have "done my bit" to help BBMF get where they are in the eyes of the public today and I am appalled to find that the committee, after my departure, have decided to cease supporting BBMF.

Stuart Stephenson MBE

mikealphahotel
20th Mar 2013, 17:02
Such a shame when old friends fall out. I’m nonpartisan inthis spat, but the BBMF is a national treasure and if this were HMS Victoryinstead, it would be rather childish if local supporters took their bat homebecause of a countrywide initiative. Lets hope they can make up. As Churchill said, to jaw-jaw is always betterthan to war-war, lest we forget.