PDA

View Full Version : kabwum balus

Kabwum balus
14th Mar 2013, 09:55
New boy on the block.
Flew in TPNG 1969-70 based Lae. Currently researching the one and only Pilatus PC6 piston-engined Porter, VH-UIC used by the Catholic Mission of the Divine Word (Wirui Air Services) from April 1972 for a couple of years. Looking for service details and if possible printable scans for a planned article. Also any pics of Dornier Do27 VH-UIE. Please email me:
[email protected]
and we could perhaps swap info & photos.:cool:

skywagondriver
14th Mar 2013, 10:34
Hi kabwun

Maybe a post here would be better? (And hours of stuff to wade through :) )

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/152566-png-ples-bilong-tok-tok-189.html

Kabwum balus
14th Mar 2013, 10:47
Hey Skywagon,

Thanks for the tip on peles bilong tok tok - saw your pic of the C206 at Kasanombe. I went in there many times for Cedric Chee. in BCB or CBI, 1971. Must have been a good day in the photo - sun overhead and no cloud.

Cheers.

Ben

tail wheel
14th Mar 2013, 18:50
G'Day Wantok

The piston Porter, less engine, was swapped with Talair for a C206 overhauled engine. The spare Queenair engine was fitted but I think there were cooling problems? I seem to recall it did around 40 hours before the engine was removed and it sat on the strip in Goroka for a very long time. I don't recall exactly what eventually happened to it but I have a feeling it was sold, boxed up and shipped to Europe?

Post the question here: http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/152566-png-ples-bilong-tok-tok-189.html

I'm sure one of the lapuns will have more details.

Kabwum balus
15th Mar 2013, 04:57
Hey Tailwheel,

Thanks for the heads up - good stuff. Still looking for printable scans if anyone has them.
I replied to Skywagon too.

Thanks and regards.

Ben

Kabwum balus
15th Mar 2013, 07:34
Hey Tail wheel,

I have a photo somewhere here showing an Indonesian-registered PC6 at Sentani but just can't find it at the moment. Could be ex-UIC - maybe not - but the Indon operator could perhaps have bought the bits for spares?

The plot thickens. Am still chasing hi-res scans of any Australian or PNG operated piston Porters - so if you see any printable scans, please email them to me at:

[email protected]

Many thanks.

Ben