PDA

View Full Version : More from Commander Ward

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 13:30
Posted in the last 12 Hours ...

The “Security team” is the Armed Forces and ‘the member that talks a lot’ but is ‘unable to live up to its words in action’ is the Royal Air Force. The RAF has been resting on the laurels of the Battle of Britain for 70 years

Sharkey's World (http://www.sharkeysworld.com/)

:ugh:

He needs to fix his server latency ...

NB. It's quite possible some of these "papers" aren't new but uploaded to a new host ... anyway thought I'd share

Nimbus20
12th Mar 2013, 13:43
just ignore, or read and chuckle. Once credibility & impartiality are considered to be AWOL.......

Do you not recall the "French taunters" in Holy Grail.

OR is he correct - should we have a witch hunt and a mass burning?

Someone should really "fix" his server latency - then there's no problem!

Chris Griffin
12th Mar 2013, 13:44
Who cares?

The partial ramblings of someone who retired decades ago are of little consequence.

I reckon Ward will be a bundle of laughs in his care home in the Caribbean.

Torque Tonight
12th Mar 2013, 14:09
Dear oh dear. He's still at it, his one man maritime jihad. If he hadn't been droning on like this for 20 years I'd put it down to Alzheimers.

To be serious, its rather a sad that a gentleman who earnt some genuine credibility in the Falklands, consistently ruins what would otherwise be his good name by spouting narrow minded, obsolescent, petty and tedious drivel which does no favours to any of the services. Give it a rest shippers.

just another jocky
12th Mar 2013, 14:15
However this very expensive weapon system (inflation linked, at higher cost than our 2 new carriers and air groups) was used in Iraq during Operation DESERT STORM. 8 Tornado fighter bomber aircraft were lost during the confrontation; the majority of these losses occurring during the delivery of the JP 233 weapon against Iraqi airfields.

Simply untrue.

And an insult to those brave comrades who died.

And if something as blindingly obvious as that is untrue, just how accurate/unbiased are the rest of his ramblings.

Seriously, some of you Navy guys out there need to get a grip on this guy, he's a shameful embarrassment. :mad:

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 14:29
It just keeps getting better with each one he writes, although I'm not sure who he thinks is going read or take any notice of his demented ranting.

Unfortunately, he seems to have run out of new ideas and has resorted to recycling the same old tired arguments so that his reader (singular) will be getting the impression that his measured deliberations and insightful analysis are starting, just starting mind you, to look a bit threadbare. His reader might also wonder if Sharkey Ward is now so twisted with bitterness and loathing that he's becoming ever so slightly unhinged.

:zzz:

Seriously, some of you Navy guys out there need to get a grip on this guy, he's a shameful embarrassment.

:D:D:D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 14:46
Wouldn't it be amusing to drop a "Flour Bomb" (couple of ton feels about right ... Light Blue in colour of course) on his Beech Hut in Granada ... Not to difficult to get a couple of Tonkas out there ... thus demonstrating our (RAF) ability to hit global targets :E

Would also have the added benefit of visibly trashing his arguments ...

Perhaps a bit too aggressive Coff :=

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 14:55
Liking the light blue flour bomb plan. We should have no shortage of vounteers. But, of course, they'd certainly be shot down - I know this because Cdr Ward (ret'd1) said so.

1 = Retarded

thunderbird7
12th Mar 2013, 15:03
If only we still had the Sea Harrier, we'd be able to take over the world.... :ugh:

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 15:17
Oh my God! It just keeps getting better. I've just found the "About Me" bit in Sharkey's World. First this picture

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i0Xn7LUjohM/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAEY/ISrkevCxfUM/s512-c/photo.jpg

And then...

Introduced the Royal Navy Sea Harrier to service in 1979 after flying the Phantom F4K from the deck of the fourth HMS Ark Royal. Commanded 801 Naval Air Squadron during the Falklands War. I was then known as Mr Sea Harrier.

I don't know whether to pee myself laughing or vomit.

Fareastdriver
12th Mar 2013, 15:23
All the sharks I have seen have got a better set of teeth than that.

Rhino power
12th Mar 2013, 15:24
The decision to axe Harrier was bonkers you know...

-RP

30mRad
12th Mar 2013, 15:26
He does display a remarkable failure to report facts. In particular the StormShadow/Tomahawk/Libya section. Someone should point out the failure rates of the Tomahawk vs SS - SS achieved 100%, and he is comparing apples with sliced bread (different weapons for different purposes).

I do not fight for either service (despite my loyalties) - we should be, and are, providing the best for Defence regardless of colour of uniform. He forgets that, and singularly argues against the RAF. He would do better to argue for Defence.

I have to hand it to him - he spins a good dit, and sounds authorative even though he is wrong on many counts.

Retire and be done.

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 15:29
The decision to axe Harrier was bonkers you know...

Yeah, but I'm really starting to like the decision to axe Sea Harrier, simply because it must be agonizingly annoying to the old bearded one. :E

orca
12th Mar 2013, 15:35
Chaps,

If, as you say, he is simply an embarassment peddling non-truths then I am sure he will only, in time, defeat himself and we can all rest easy. We seem to have got ourselves into a cycle of 'Look what Ward says - Rubbish - Burn him, he's a witch - Look what he's said now!'

As many have said on this and other threads, those of us actually at the coal face are all still committed to making this work - and I remain to be convinced that retired officers or those still serving of far greater rank than I - both groups being the natural predators of Jointery - will dissuade us from doing so any time soon.

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 15:43
retired officers or those still serving of far greater rank than I - both groups being the natural predators of Jointery

Not even close, Mate. As a retired officer I can certainly never be accused of being or having been a predator of Jointery. Sharky's a completely different issue, though.

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 16:01
Orca ... You are perfectly correct on the need for front line jointery ... But this guy can cause harm ... For example Politicians are only too fond of selectively using information for their own agendas. Ward used the Press effectively over the loss of the Sea Harrier ... :ok:

Neptunus Rex
12th Mar 2013, 16:02
The first time I heard "Jointery" put forward as the way to go was in 1960, when I was a Grammar School Army Cadet. In 1963 I joined the RAF and in all my service as a Maritime Pilot, I found that the Army were very keen on Jointery, but the RN considered themselves to be the Senior Service and the rest of Her Majesty's Services to be somewhat below them.

What were they smokin' at Dartmouth?

just another jocky
12th Mar 2013, 16:04
I think it is entirely fair to point out his lies and factual errors. Just because we all know on here doesn't mean that Joe Public isn't taken in by him. As long as we keep balancing his tosh with facts, we will counter his anti-RAF propaganda.

If you search "Sharkey Ward" on Google, P Prune is the 3rd reply headed "more RAF bashing from Sharkey" so at least we stand a chance of folk realising that he spouts utter bolleaux.

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 16:15
NR ... Perhaps a bit harsh. I have a number of RN friends up to the Rank of Commander ... all are up for a bit of leg pulling but all three Services will have Tw@ts who think they are something different ... but thankfully a very small minority :ok:

Some people display Prize Tw@tness though ... See OP !

zero1
12th Mar 2013, 16:39
I tried to read this but gave up after a few pages... :ugh: To say it is a wee bit basis is an under statement, plus there are a few errors to say the least in his arguements.

He appears to igore the design faults in the new carriers, which have not included a basic design requirement for cat/trap operations to allow other aircraft types to operate from the deck, but I suspect he will blame the RAF or someone who is not from RN service.

I will get my coat... before we open up that can of worms.

Happy landing

AutoBit
12th Mar 2013, 16:40
The first time I heard "Jointery" put forward as the way to go was in 1960, when I was a Grammar School Army Cadet. In 1963 I joined the RAF and in all my service as a Maritime Pilot, I found that the Army were very keen on Jointery, but the RN considered themselves to be the Senior Service and the rest of Her Majesty's Services to be somewhat below them.

What were they smokin' at Dartmouth?

Neptune,

Are you not playing up to the very criticism that you level at Sharky? Ocra very correctly points out that those of us who work at the coal face are commited to making this work. A few years ago I remember one Army Officer describing the RAF as 'Utterly, utterly useless'. The views of the entire Army? Or one slightly hacked off officer. They exist in all 3 services. Dont join their ranks by tarring us all with the same brush.

XV277
12th Mar 2013, 17:39
Was he rejected by the ATC as a boy?

NutLoose
12th Mar 2013, 18:43
White beard and hair, always ranting and raving about the Navy and the war....

Hmmmmmm where have I seen that before?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--bUx826HBeM/TXSW3hwYf6I/AAAAAAAAAws/ywEswBxWHLg/s1600/uncle+albert.jpg

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 19:05
A strange thing, Nutty. I just knew you were about to come up with something outstanding! :ok:

Jimlad1
12th Mar 2013, 19:08
I dislike knocking people, particularly someone who has done a job I could never have done, and who has served with distinction in a difficult war.
BUT, the problem here is that Sharkey Ward is to many people the public face of the RN past - its no wonder the RN has a bit of an image problem at times when people keep on bleating about the evil RAF conspiracy and so on. Its very dull, very boring and about as accurate as RAF bombing in WW2 :E

But seriously though, I'm left with the very strong impression that he is no longer taken seriously in Whitehall (the rumour whispered to me was he is now PNG and his long rambling missives no longer get replied to) and that he is now one of those sad individuals dreaming of a brighter past, who is now doing serious damage to the future credibility of the Service he professes to love.

tucumseh
12th Mar 2013, 19:11
It has to be said that Ward sets his sights on some pretty easy targets. The bit about the Air Staff lying for example. He mentions a particularity odious former CAS who liked writing to the press about the MoK pilots being guilty as sin, so Ward can't be all bad.

But he opens himself up to ridicule so often the good comments lose impact.

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 19:18
Nutty ... Only you could find some way in a Sharkey Ward thread to have a dig at Buster !

Commander Ward needs to keep his Fish Fingers out :E

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/25/article-0-05466A970000044D-741_468x354.jpg

CoffmanStarter
12th Mar 2013, 19:25
Come to think of it Commander Ward must know of the PPRuNe Mil Forum ... and I'll bet he lurkes' here often ... strange that he doesn't want to engage though :oh:

smujsmith
12th Mar 2013, 19:57
Probably spends most of his life in his bunk "tossing" himself off his deck launch, time and time again!!!!:=

Genstabler
12th Mar 2013, 19:59
I have read his article and, while there are a fair number of factually dubious statements in it, I find a lot of common sense and sound logic too. In other words, he talks some sense.
Unfortunately he is now such a figure of hate to most of the junior service that if he stated the earth was round he would be rubbished.
What is beyond dispute is this. We are a maritime nation with significant interests to support and protect all around the world. For the Chiefs of Staff in the MoD to have allowed our politicians to abandon our LRMPA and attack aircraft carrier capabilities is outrageous, unbelievable, unforgiveable, criminal.

thrusts a must
12th Mar 2013, 20:32
Chaps,

Whatever you think of Sharkeys ramblings. I had the great pleasure of helping him to convert to Vstol on 233.

A) He was an extremely capable pilot/operator/leader.

B) He was a breath of fresh air to the RAF even if they didn't listen. An aircraft is not the 'be all and end all' to the RN hence a Sqn Cdr has a lot more ability to apply common sense rules than his light blue equivalent.

C) He was Mr. Sea Harrier in the early 80's

D) He let me fly one of his Jets at Yeovilton with only a short brief from 'Bertie'

E) He offered me a job which thank god I declined!

He may rustle a few feathers but so did Montgomery etc. As he showed down South, Sharky is the sort of guy who shines when the chips are down.

Just had to put the record straight.

Lifts a gift

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 21:15
Then what a shame he's turned into the bitter old man that he makes himself appear today.

Lima Juliet
12th Mar 2013, 21:29
Nah, that's not his blog...

...this is!

Beards and Bull**** (http://beardsandbull****.com/)

:p

orca
13th Mar 2013, 01:44
Courtney,

If I may correct the words of my statement to align more closely with the spirit in which it was intended...

The natural predators of Jointery appear to only lurk within/ be subsets of the senior or retired officer cadres.

I don't doubt (have first hand experience of) your own Joint credentials as well as those of many others amongst those senior, retired, deranged and err...deceased.

You know what I meant!;)

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 06:38
Only slightly deranged, please.

Understood.:ok:

ORAC
13th Mar 2013, 09:00
We are a maritime nation with significant interests to support and protect all around the world. I'd argue both those statements are incorrect and have been for at least 30-40 years if not longer.

Withdrawal from east of Suez was an act of realism, not sabotage.

Genstabler
13th Mar 2013, 09:31
We withdrew our military bases from east of Suez. That may indeed have been an act of political realism. However, our national interests remain in the shape of alliances, commerce etc. and we still have significant territorial possessions dotted around the globe, separated from us by sea.
So which of the statements are incorrect?

Bigpants
13th Mar 2013, 09:40
Just give up disband the RAF and let the RN run everything with wings and rotors...

I am sure it would be much much better...

His comments are galling to me because the carrier deal stinks and I loath the MOD, Gordon Brown and the RN for foisting this on the UK...

Not_a_boffin
13th Mar 2013, 09:43
Care to elaborate?

the carrier deal stinks and I loath the MOD, Gordon Brown and the RN for foisting this on the UK...

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 09:45
significant interests to support and protect

Genstabler, I don't think he said we don't have interests, but the realism of the age meant that we no longer had the means to support and protect. As they are interests rather than bases, territories, etc, many are no longer ours to protect anyway - with a couple of noteable exceptions.

MrBernoulli
13th Mar 2013, 15:48
If there is one thing that Sharkey hates more than the RAF, it is being ignored. He really does think his opinion counts as intelligent, reasoned and important. His deep-seated fear is that nobody cares what he has to say.

His fears are well-founded!

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 15:56
Bitter, twisted, rabid AND deluded. That's pretty bad!

orca
13th Mar 2013, 16:16
You chaps - whilst not actually representing either MoD or the RAF all seem to care enough to get to three pages of not caring!

You usually have to die or buy an aircraft carrier to get to three pages!;)

CoffmanStarter
13th Mar 2013, 16:18
par·a·noi·a
/ˌparəˈnoiə/
Noun

A mental condition characterised by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self-importance.

Suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification.
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-computer004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

CoffmanStarter
13th Mar 2013, 16:19
We're going for 4 orca :ok:

sisemen
13th Mar 2013, 16:21
The Navy were incensed when, on 1 Apr 18, they decided to merge the RNAS and the RFC and call it the RAF. They lost control of an asset that they fervently believed was required to protect the fleet at a time when the fleet and maritime power was the be all and end all (and the RN was the biggest and best in the world at that time).

That feeling has percolated down through the ages and was heightened in fact when the Fleet Air Arm was reconstituted to form a dedicated fleet defence system. If you're told at Dartmouth that you wuz robbed then you're going to believe it.

Perhaps your point of view may well have some weight when you are serving or very recently retired but once you get to the point at which Sharky is (and most of us) then your opinion is worth three fifths of bugger all because you are so out of touch with current thinking.

He's become a pathetic old bugger who nobody listens to any more because he is so out of touch. Most of us have the sense to realise when to shut our traps and let the present generation get on with it.

just another jocky
13th Mar 2013, 16:34
Oi.....I'm still a regular! :p

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 16:48
Most of us have the sense to realise when to shut our traps and let the present generation get on with it.

Oh dear. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Oops.

Seriously, though. Well put, sisemen.

Genstabler
13th Mar 2013, 17:14
I'd still want pathetic old buggers like him watching my six when push came to shove.

FODPlod
13th Mar 2013, 18:26
Hmmm,

...Who cares?...

..His deep-seated fear is that nobody cares what he has to say...

...He's become a pathetic old bugger who nobody listens to any more...

...I'm not sure who he thinks is going read or take any notice of his demented ranting...

I make this the sixth 'Let's burn Sharkey' thread in three years. That's a puzzling amount of 'not caring', 'not listening', 'not reading' and 'not taking any notice'. Any impartial observer might conclude that the views of this septuagenarian, published on his otherwise obscure blog, must be hitting home somewhere to arouse such unedifying vilification of his persona and, in this thread at least, his increasingly fragile appearance.

But I'm still loving it. :)

just another jocky
13th Mar 2013, 18:37
FOD - I'm sure if roles were reversed, the sullied ranks of the Navy would rail against the perpetrator. :=

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 18:59
FOD, you're completely right in what you say. I think it's just continuing outrage at the foaming hatred and untruthful (is that word? It is now.) statements passed off as fact.

The good news is that anyone Googling related topics will find here a wealth of "wisdom" exposing his rantings for what they are.

If I had the time and the inclination, I should post a list of his "inaccuracies". Stuff like "Transport Command" and the "Tornado F1" spring to mind. Maybe a project for someone

ExAscoteer
13th Mar 2013, 19:43
I'd like to know just when he thought Albert was fitted with a microwave in the galley. :bored:

I'd also like to know why he changed the account in his book about the C130 shoot-down from what he wrote in his Combat Report. :confused:

Still, I'm not going to hold my breath.

It's a pity that someone who fought for their country so well cold turn out to be such an embittered old fart. I bet he smells of wee too!

Genstabler
13th Mar 2013, 19:48
All the best people smell of wee, you young pup!

althenick
13th Mar 2013, 20:05
My my i've never seen so much bile and vitriol spouted on one thread about a man who - like the rest of us - has an opinion. What really worries me is that this forum tends to be represented by senior NCO's a officers of the services.
For the most part you are acting like a bunch of kids. If you really must spout poison then keep it in the mess or crewroom.

I dread to think what the poor sods obit is going go read when he crosses the bar

Easy Street
13th Mar 2013, 20:24
If I had the time and the inclination, I should post a list of his "inaccuracies". Stuff like "Transport Command" and the "Tornado F1" spring to mind. Maybe a project for someone

"The wily old SO1 wafts some staff work past his keen subordinates, without actually tasking any of them, testing to see which of them will take on too much work and earn his displeasure for missing their next deadline...

Chris Griffin
13th Mar 2013, 21:03
Althenick
"about a man who - like the rest of us - has an opinion"...

An opinion which is offered at length in submissions to the MoD, press and on various websites ad nauseum.

If you're going to put your head above the parapet and spout incoherent libellous sh@te about another Service, then one must expect a few rounds to be incoming from those loyal.

Jet blast is far more entertaining- if you don't like this thread.

NutLoose
13th Mar 2013, 21:45
I dread to think what the poor sods obit is going go read when he crosses the bar

Had a Harrier and a Carrier going 51 degrees South, now swopped for a box with a Flat Top going 6 foot South ?

althenick
13th Mar 2013, 23:09
Nutloose
:D

Chris Griffin

You have a point - maybe that's where the thread should be.

I wasn't arguing his shortcomings as I am not qualified to comment. What I was trying to get across to some on this thread is the way they are responding to it.
Most of you are serving or former Commissioned officers or SNCO's and this is a public forum.

sisemen
14th Mar 2013, 00:32
If you really must spout poison then keep it in the mess or crewroom.

Perhaps Sharky should do the same on his public forum.

FODPlod
14th Mar 2013, 00:57
Perhaps Sharky should do the same on his public forum.Has Sharkey really singled you out by name on his blog and insulted your integrity, personality, state of mind, intelligence and appearance?

If so, I'm impressed by his incredible perspicacity, particularly at his age. There must be something about FAA aircrew. :p

500N
14th Mar 2013, 01:09
What would have happened if the Falklands War had never occurred
or the Harrier hadn't done so well and all versions of the Harrier had
been retired without having had an air to air war ?

Would he have been so vocal ?

orca
14th Mar 2013, 02:34
500N,

In short, no - I doubt it.

If however one of our other iconic capabilities had been singled out not for reduction but total disbandment maybe they too would find someone prepared to raise their head above the parapet.

For example - if we decided we didn't need the Royal Marines or the Parachute Regiment - someone with a significant amount of operational experience in those spheres would (I'd wager) step into the fray.

Perhaps we should be asking why no-one from the Nimrod community is making a similar pain of themselves. After all - that was the worst outcome of the lot.

just another jocky
14th Mar 2013, 07:21
Because no matter how much anyone whines, the Nimrod will not be coming back. At least the RAF can see that.

No, I think there is a smarter campaign going on to resurrect the fallen capability and one that doesn't require the RAF, including former serving members, to turn on its fellow services and slag them in public. :=

Roland Pulfrew
14th Mar 2013, 07:42
Nimrod. ... one that doesn't require the RAF, including former serving members, to turn on its fellow services and slag them in public.

But of course the Sea Kings were a load of rubbish at ASW. :E ;)

I had a go at reading Sharkeys world at work over lunch. Fortunately DII software is s o o o far behind the real world that his blog would not load. I wasn't sure I could be bothered to read it on my phone and when I did I had to stop reading. Never in the field of human history have I read so many half truths, cherry picking, and blatant untruths! (Well at least since I last had a look at a political party manifesto). He would do himself a lot of favours if he actually stuck to fact not hearsay and pure fiction; then be might just come across as an undoubted expert in his field.

One has to wonder if he has ever actually done any study into the UK's air contribution to GRANBY, WARDEN, BOLTON, TELIC, ENGADINE, HERRICK, ELLAMY, NEWCOMBE and numerous others. The RAF resting on its laurels since the BofB??? Get real Mr Ward; it's pathetic.

FODPlod
14th Mar 2013, 08:04
No, I think there is a smarter campaign going on to resurrect the fallen capability and one that doesn't require the RAF...

Shame on you. That's how we got into this mess. :ooh:

(Isn't it easy, sometimes, to misrepresent people by partially quoting them or quoting them out of context?)

just another jocky
14th Mar 2013, 09:15
Who is quoting who out of context?

I haven't done it to you, and any quotes of Mr Ward are quotes that are factually incorrect, irrespective of context. :=

Shame on you.

Courtney Mil
14th Mar 2013, 09:42
quoting them or quoting them

You're not making any sense, Mate.

Nimbus20
14th Mar 2013, 10:07
Guys - we're now up to 4 pages of free advertising for Lord High Admiral Sharkey of FAAshire.

Good on you all - you're supporting his cause.

:ugh:

just another jocky
14th Mar 2013, 12:22
Nimbus20 - I take yr point, but as you may note from an earlier post of mine, if you search Google for Sharkey Ward, these threads come up 3rd in the list so any unsuspecting member of the public will at least get a chance to see what others in the know think of his rantings.