PDA

View Full Version : Hounslow...what's it like?

F3
24th Apr 2002, 01:01
OK, OK.... I know this probably doesn't belong on JB, but I wasn't sure where to pose the question.

Iím a CAP 509 Fzn ATPL and was unemployed until recently. I found out today I have been accepted for a job (not aviation :() based in Hounslow, so a good view of what I aspire to will be in full view almost constantly if all the local moaning NIMBYS are anything to go by!

The question, what is Hounslow like to live in?
Would it be better to move more central and commute via the Tube?
Is Hounslow populated by people who work at Heathrow? (Which would be great)
Is it the Siberia of London?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

NoSurrender
24th Apr 2002, 01:50
It's not a fit place for any self respecting scouser to live IMO.

F3
24th Apr 2002, 02:09
No self respecting Scouser would normally move south of the River Mersey, but my situation forces such a move. I assume Osterley is a posh bit adjacent to Hounslow, far better placed for the Great Northern Road than tatty Richmond ;)

NoSurrender
24th Apr 2002, 02:45
True, true,
I work in Osterley, reside in Slough and live in Liverpool.

Tartan Gannet
24th Apr 2002, 07:42
As Capt Scott said of the South Pole , "My God this is a dreadful place". :(

Boss Raptor
24th Apr 2002, 08:05
OK if you like curry...

Parts of Hounslow are Ok...Hounslow West and then where it joins on to Twickenham etc...try Ealing, Kew or Hampton if you want up market but you'll pay dearly for it!

gyrohead
24th Apr 2002, 12:30
:D Didn't Alf Garnet live in 'ounslow?? "Up the 'ammers!":D

Loki
24th Apr 2002, 19:54
I used to live in Isleworth, and the noise was something else(28 (in those days) right) Then I went to live in Hounslow (Hanworth Road ) (28 left) and it was something else again!

itchy kitchin
24th Apr 2002, 23:42
I have lived in hounslow for many years and feel right at home here. I can HOLE-heartedly reccomend it to anyone who like living near an ARMPIT sorry, Airport. Yes its noisy and I'm sure you chaps who have posted on this thread don't need reminding about Mogden! I never knew so many pruners lived around this neck of the concrete.
One of the best things about hounslow is that it's very easy to get out of- to Central London or out to the country... I have never had any trouble in over 7 years here, there are all the shops you could need and all the curry you can eat. Cheap booze at my local (The Moon Under Water...beer any body?) and best of all, good mates that I grew up with.
I am doing my ATPL at the mo and work at the airport. Sh*t... sorry, Shifts at the mo so i still have time to do the studying that is oh so essential.
Put it like this: It's a nice place to live, but i would'nt want to visit there!

More info?
[email protected]

somewhatconcerned
25th Apr 2002, 00:36
Had a friend who lived in Hounslow who I used to visit twice a year, he moved to Brixton, it was an improvement. Now he lives in sunny Streatham....he's hit the big time:D

F3
25th Apr 2002, 12:00
Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated.
I will go down in ten days or so to check out the area and accomodation and have a look at South Ealing also.

On one hand I have this vision of sitting outside 'The Moon Under Water', watching a/c on short final, as a top barmaid pulls yet another pint:D (good luck with the ATPL's Itchy Kitchin)....on the other hand Somewhatconcerned and others have got me somewhatconcerned that this is the only fun feature associated with the area and the novelty will wear off rapidly!:(

Loki
25th Apr 2002, 17:48
I used to have fun in Hounslow, I spent many an afternoon in the Locarno Temperance billiard Hall being coached in the gentle art of snooker by some impressively dodgy characters. These were people for whom the term "wide boy" was invented. It didn`t do to argue with them mind.

itchy kitchin
25th Apr 2002, 23:36
Hey Loki,
if thats the snooker club at the top of the high st., as far as i know the main reason for the chalk being supplied was so that one didn't lose one's grip as one "gave someone the good news" outside Yates's at 2 am!!!:eek:
nothing like a bit of blood to ruin your grip!!!
...but seriously though, i know there are a few westerns in this part of town, but the word seems to be "dont get involved, won't be involved"
Oh and F3, as for top barmaids in the Moon under Water, pop in and see Mel, a good friend of mine. She pulls purrrrrfectly!!!;)

Hugh De Payen
26th Apr 2002, 02:12
Never recovered from being bombed in the war Hounslow, reputedly amounted to £7.26 worth of damage!

WeatherJinx
26th Apr 2002, 12:49
Easy on the St. Reatham remarks...

WxJx :mad:

Evanelpus
26th Apr 2002, 14:11
Hugh de P

Don't you mean improvements??

Hugh De Payen
26th Apr 2002, 22:27
Steady on Evanelpus, you could give F3 a cause to regret his move!!