PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon upgrades

JFZ90
11th Mar 2013, 22:15
RAF puts Typhoon upgrade through paces during Red Flag (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/raf-puts-typhoon-upgrade-through-paces-during-red-flag-383289/)

Capability upgrades to RAF T1 typhoons - but apparently involving the German NSC according to the article. How does T1 avionic/software support work (who does what/where?) assuming thats not a sensitive question?

jwcook
11th Mar 2013, 23:23
Lots of different software support types.
Flight control.
Radar modes.
There is weapons integration.
Ground Support.
Logistics.
Defensive aids.
Aircraft support services.
Engine monitoring
Fatigue measurements etc.

very roughly as I understand it- (please correct me if I wander too far)

Each has a different process criteria and critical testing procedures, e.g. the Flight control SW has a more demanding test cycle than some other software.

For example NVG are being tested at the moment, a report is written up, issues or problems are assessed and weighted as minor up all the way up to "could lose aircraft and crew." its a continuous test and fix until it reaches a release to service stage.

They package individual improvements and bundle them up into drops and a test aircraft get the new drop this is tested and if nothing too serious is found, all the other national aircraft get the drop with the maintenance cycle. these drops are smaller that the original packages that were planned but are more frequent.

JFZ90
11th Mar 2013, 23:50
I understand the technical aspects, my question was more geographical/political/workshare - i.e. role of german nsc, versus design authority, international support, uk nsc etc.

just wondered how it was allocated these days - perhaps the report is confusing international with german.

the original design authority for e.g the avionics was split into (iirc) 7 sub systems with workshare in all 4 partner companies, so various support models are possible/plausible.