PDA

View Full Version : Going UAS to OASC

EvilThom
23rd Apr 2002, 23:42
Hello.

Sorry if this is a done topic, but I'd like to get the comments of any UAS Q's or CFI's lurking, or anyone who could offer an opinion.

I am a member of CUAS in the GD(N) branch. I achieved 144 pilot and 143 Nav apptitude scores. My only problem was a slight inability to see the part of the eyetest which covers stereoscopic vision (the test to see pacman figures through red/green lensed glasses) which I failed by a narrow margin.

At the review with Pres. Med. Board, I was told that I could go Nav but not pilot, although there wasn't much in it. I don't recall if it was PMU or TMU.

I'm currently flying the pilot course. I'm doing reasonably well, I 1'st soloed in 9hr ( the first of my intake ) and am performing well in the Crit Point exams. I can get 4's in sortie reports if I try. I also seem to be picking up praise from my instructors.

I'd dearly love to be a pilot - I would like to know how subjective OASC will be to selecting me as pilot given the above. My theory is that if I can demonstrate suitable officer qualities and take a complimentary report from my UAS backed up by quantative evidence that I can do it, they may be able to overlook my very slight med defect and give me pilot. I hope to prove that I am most use to the force in the front seat.

If anyone has a useful comment, please e-mail me or reply to this board. ([email protected]). I'd welcome any opinion, partictuarly those from the people in the know.

Kind Regards

Thom