PDA

View Full Version : Converting UAS to OASC

EvilThom
23rd Apr 2002, 22:53
Hello.

Sorry if this is a done topic, but I'd like to get the comments of any UAS Q's or CFI's lurking, or anyone who could offer an opinion.

I am a member of CUAS in the GD(N) branch. I achieved 144 pilot and 143 Nav apptitude scores. My only problem was a slight inability to see the part of the eyetest which covers stereoscopic vision (the test to see pacman figures through red/green lensed glasses) which I failed by a narrow margin.

At the review with Pres. Med. Board, I was told that I could go Nav but not pilot, although there wasn't much in it. I don't recall if it was PMU or TMU.

I'm currently flying the pilot course. I'm doing reasonably well, I 1'st soloed in 9hr ( the first of my intake ) and am performing well in the Crit Point exams. I can get 4's in sortie reports if I try. I also seem to be picking up praise from my instructors.

I'd dearly love to be a pilot - I would like to know how subjective OASC will be to selecting me as pilot given the above. My theory is that if I can demonstrate suitable officer qualities and take a complimentary report from my UAS backed up by quantative evidence that I can do it, they may be able to overlook my very slight med defect and give me pilot. I hope to prove that I am most use to the force in the front seat.

If anyone has a useful comment, please e-mail me or reply to this board. ([email protected]). I'd welcome any opinion, partictuarly those from the people in the know.

Kind Regards

Thom

Slow Roll
24th Apr 2002, 10:31
In my experience, OASC are fairly inflexible regards medical problems. They have a fairly black and white approach to things it seems. With respect to your flying ability, OASC are reluctant to acknowledge good flying scores as an acceptable substitute for aptitude test failings so I find it hard to believe that they would look past a medical problem on these grounds.

Good luck with it all, but I've seen people with very high FHT passes get binned with eyesight problems so you might have an uphill struggle.

Hope that helps, sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear

Eagle 1
24th Apr 2002, 15:52
Good question, I have wondered if the RAF would be lenient on high aptitude candidates with minor med problems, I have heard mixed stories. Most have said it is very black and white, where as on the other hand I know someone who had a minor med problem which prevented him from being a pilot, appealed against the descision, and was accepted.

Sunny Side Up
24th Apr 2002, 22:41
Just like RAF life itself, nothing is ever black and white.

I have known someone who failed aptitude at Cranwell but was accepted as pilot because they proved to be above average throughout elementary flying training.

I have known a guy who was found to be too long in the sitting height category but was told to "hunch down slightly" in the medical.

I myself was told I couldn't fly due to possible childhood asthma but got the decision overturned by the OASC PMB.

However, and there always is a however...

I have also known of a lad being turned down for having arms 2mm too short.

A lad being refused pilot because his eyesight had deteriorated over his 4 years at uni.

Overall, I must say that of the people accepted the majority only got in because of pressure and perseverance from their UAS bosses against the system.

I'm sure the RAF aren't as black and white as everyone might think as they do often judge a case on its individual merit.

Hope this helps.

SSU:)