PDA

View Full Version : The plot to take three Qantas jumbos to Iran

alisoncc
9th Mar 2013, 06:00
The plot to take three Qantas jumbos to Iran (http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-plot-to-take-three-qantas-jumbos-to-iran-20130308-2frbs.html)

I have it on the best authority that the aircraft in question were routed via Jet Blast here, and have a distinct recollection of seeing them parked here for quite a while in 2011. Those responsible for moving them on need to understand - They are looking for you.

ZFT
9th Mar 2013, 07:12
Not unlike the 2 ex Lufthansa A340s also now in Iran after being routed via Chaba Air in Thailand.

unstable load
9th Mar 2013, 08:23
And the Bell 212 that went via South Africa to Iran.

And probably many more.

stuckgear
9th Mar 2013, 08:31
it's a very tricky one.

exporting from one country that has sanctions to another that does not is a common route. the problem is you either export nothing in order to prevent something ending up where you dont want it to end up or you export and it's possible where you dont want it to end up.

that brings into question rights of ownership.

if you can prove that a transaction has been structured to circumvent sanctions with intent, then that is another question and it falls on the proof.

Lon More
9th Mar 2013, 08:41
Where there's a pound/dollar/euro/sheckel to be made a lot of people have no ethics.

Capetonian
9th Mar 2013, 08:51
... and the Eastern Airlines Boeing 720s that went to Air Rhodesia via a front company in Paraguay and a German charter airline.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/rob_rickards/images/3720.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/2/1/1616125.jpg

bluecode
9th Mar 2013, 11:45
You know, you have to wonder why the Iranians keep up this anti western bad guy routine. Wouldn't it make life so much easier to give it all up and take a more pragmatic view of the west? They could just go to Boeing and just buy the things. No need for derring do and smuggling.

It's not as if anyone is going to stop them practising their rather harsh version of Islam. After all the Saudis are left to get on with it while maintaining a sensible relationship with the west.

But I suppose the reason for the rhetoric and posturing is more to do with internal politics than anything. The theocracy needs to keep the people thinking there's an outside threat and contact with the west will only make people realise even more how harsh their regime is. They don't want to end up like the Shah's regime.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Mar 2013, 11:55
I think the logic there is that the Iranians are essentially honest and think it would be wrong to hide their conceptual hatred of non-Islamic peoples and traditions, while the Saudis are essentially dishonest and hate us but keep it to themselves.....

At least with the Iranians you know the bastards are out to get you

bnt
9th Mar 2013, 12:02
You know, you have to wonder why the Iranians keep up this anti western bad guy routine.
The "Iranians" aren't anti-West. The Iranian regime is, of course, but the Iranian people ... not so much.

N2eSXNACIek

racedo
9th Mar 2013, 12:23
Wouldn't it make life so much easier to give it all up and take a more pragmatic view of the west?

Oh you mean like Gadaffi did ?

Cooperated with the west .....
Got rid of Nuke program.....
Handed over any Al Qaeda suspects he found....
Kept a lid on Al Qaeda suspects in Eastern Libya..
Wanted Obama Bin Laden in 1998 for murdering 2 german intel officers
BUT
Asked Oil companies for more money from the billions they making and all of a sudden he was PNG and needed to be overthrown.

Capetonian
9th Mar 2013, 13:04
The "Iranians" aren't anti-West. The Iranian regime is, of course, but the Iranian people ... not so much.

I was in Iran two years ago. They are amongst the kindest and most hospitable people on earth, and there are few places where I have felt so welcome, so safe (except on the roads in their taxis!), and so privileged to be a visitor.

The country is run by a cabal of nutters, but like most governments, they do not represent, nor are they representative of, the people.

denachtenmai
9th Mar 2013, 16:36
What Capetonian said, I spent time in Teheran in the 60's, albeit when the Shah was "running" the country, and the ordinary people are lovely, as were the Iranian staff on the military side of Mehrabad.

Regards, Den.