PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Ma'am

CoffmanStarter
8th Mar 2013, 17:48
Group Captain Sara Mackmin, is to oversee all RAF search and rescue operations across the UK and the Falkland Islands.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/image_data/file/6950/s300_SAR_COg.jpg

MOD Announcement RAF SAR Commander (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-female-raf-search-and-rescue-commander)

Congratulations Ma'am :D:D:D:D

Rosevidney1
8th Mar 2013, 18:11
I echo those sentiments Ma'am. :)

ExAscoteer
8th Mar 2013, 18:18
Well done Ma'am.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Mar 2013, 18:25
Congratulations :D

Grandma, wife, Group Captain...
How many women is that ordering Prince William about now?;)

Just as well they all know what they're talking about (or does that make it worse?)

Maybe a 4th in a few months....

woptb
8th Mar 2013, 18:40
She really has got the teashirt !

CoffmanStarter
8th Mar 2013, 18:56
Yep ... A Star next ?

Old-Duffer
9th Mar 2013, 05:49
Unfortunately, I think she has been given the poisoned challice.

It will be very much her job to see that the RAF extricates itself from the SAR business - and presumably that lovely new HQ at Valley - and that a viable civilian alternative results.

I wish her every good fortune in doing that but it ain't going to be easy!

Old Duffer

Rigga
9th Mar 2013, 08:54
"...and that a viable civilian alternative results."

Would that really be up to her? I don't think so.

Congrats on quite an achievement anyway.

Old-Duffer
9th Mar 2013, 09:43
Unfortunately, Rigga, I must disagree, although logic says you are absolutely right.

Take this scenario; new contractor comes in, military bows out, something goes wrong. Daily Mail says; 'it's all the fault of the Government and the MOD for giving up SAR'. Government says it was MOD that had the lead and so MOD looks for scapegoat - guess who?

Logic and natural justice have no place when somebody is trying to save their own neck and that is why I believe Gp Capt Mackmin has been given the poisoned challice - I very much hope I am wrong.

Old Duffer

Biggus
9th Mar 2013, 09:52
O-D,

I think you're very wrong.

The provision of UK national SAR is actually the responsibility of the Department of Transport (or whatever it is called these days!), which in turn gets the MOD to provide some of the actual assets used.

On a daily basis only half of the rotorary assets committed to SAR are provided by the RAF. Given the fiasco that was the last attempt to privatize the UK SAR provision, various ministers and civil servants should be going over this latest try with a fine tooth comb.

If things go wrong I can't see the blame falling on the Gp Capt providing outgoing RAF SAR coverage, who has no responsibility whatsoever for contract negotiations, etc for the new contract - and the MOD has far less of a public scapegoat approach these days, with the prospect of open court hearings and unwanted press coverage!

In fact - given the current scandal in the NHS, where literally thousands of people died unnecessarily - it would appear that nobody in public life is accountable for their actions these days, as nobody has been sacked, or reprimanded, let alone prosecuted!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Mar 2013, 10:01
Which means that senior public servants are in exactly the same position as those lovely private sector bankers.

Rich and poor, folks. You may not see it that way, but they do.