PDA

View Full Version : Would I have got a retention bonus?

Broken Wings
23rd Apr 2002, 20:03
I retired from the RAF in 2000 age 42 (spec aircrew Flt lt medically grounded).

If I had still been in today would I have got a retention bonus? If so how much?

PS I understand that the Spec Aircrew Branch has diasappeared now so how are the KOS's paid these days?

BEagle
23rd Apr 2002, 20:15
I think that, so long as you had 3 years left to do and didn't have a PVR application in, it was £10K pre-tax last year and the same this year. Over 50 it was half this - one chap missed out on the whole issue by 2 days.......

So there's an extra £3K on my payslip this month. Best I go and order the XK8 right away. Can't decide between Antigua blue with oatmeal leather or Titanium though......

brit bus driver
23rd Apr 2002, 23:11
Appears to be a slight whiff of "how much can I get, because the system didn't give me a chance......" about this thread. My condolences for whatever caused your premature exit from HM's flying club, but you weren't in, therefore were not eligible, therefore is this not a moot point?

If I have grabbed hold of the wrong end of the proverbial stick, I apologise.

Broken Wings
25th Apr 2002, 12:26
Brit Bus Driver

No offence taken - I would still have been in had I not been medically grounded and am currently suing the MOD for loss of earnings and damages. They have admitted liability and as the Trial is next week I can say no more at this stage.

BEagle

Thanks for you info and I'll drop you an email once next week has passed. XK8 ?....... Honda S2000 for me!

Background Noise
25th Apr 2002, 18:03
BW - Yes you would - same age as me, you would have got 7.5k. BEags slightly off this time, there were 3 rates 38-40 ish was 10k, 41-49 7.5k and 50+ ish 5k.

Then my reply got a bit rambling so I emailed you direct - don't know if its got through.

BN

Broken Wings
25th Apr 2002, 21:38
BN

Didn't get the email but thanks for the info.

BEagle
26th Apr 2002, 05:24
BW - sorry, forgot about the £7.5K age group. You would have qualified for a total of £15K before tax, according to my estimates.
When you calculate your losses, don't forget to include an assessment for the lost allowances which you would have received on the overseas detachments you would undoubtedly have received had you remained in the mob. Also include the extra costs incurred by you if you didn't qualify for the Experienced QSP ATPL/IR accreditiation by virtue of having had to leave - but to which you would have been entitled to had you remained in the RAF.

S2000 - no thanks. To 'extreme' and impractical as an only car. Quite interested in the RX-8 though.....

buoy15
1st May 2002, 09:31
BW
Yeh, know what you mean. I'm spec aircrew on a 2nd extension and still flying. During my 40 years I have never received or will ever be entitled to any retention bonuses because of age and timing. Tuf sh*t I suppose, but I didn't think that later down the line I would have been able to trade it in. Didn't think you could buy loyalty, like it's usually devoted and rewarded later in life ??
Spec aircrew is still about but not for long. Next year(ish) we will have 2 ladders. Career Aviators who will fly both aircraft and desks and will aspire to the stars, and Professional Aviators (thought we were anyway?) who will remain flying , cannot be CAS but will probably get their scraper. Flying pay will be abolished and a replaced with a multi level system of basic pay and increments (which will be pensionable) crafty eh? That's put paid to the protest over flying pay being taxed but not pensionable - saved the treasury a few bob and the AFB a lot of problems.

Buoy15

Still, wouldn't have this much fun working in a sweet shop

Broken Wings
2nd May 2002, 09:49
Buoy 15

Now where have I heard that?

Ah yes the Robson Report 1989! Had the RAF adopted that I suspect they would not have got themselves into the shortfall they have now. Ah well that's the short sightedness of the bean counters for you!