PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Daylight Saving Time Starts This Sunday

MWorth
8th Mar 2013, 12:52
Don't forget to set your clocks ahead if you are in the impacted areas. The U.S. will be ahead of Europe for 3 weeks this time around.

Spring Forward! 2013 Daylight Saving Time Starts This Sunday in U.S. (http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2013/03/spring-forward-2013-daylight-saving-time-starts-this-sunday-in-u-s/)

Daylight Saving Time will start this Sunday at 2 a.m. local time in most of the United States and parts of Canada. Clocks should be set ahead by one hour.

In the European Union, Summer Time (called British Summer Time or BST in the Untied Kingdom and Sommerzeit in Austria and Germany) will start two weeks later on March 31.

The SSK
8th Mar 2013, 12:55
Bloody madness having differentiated calendars. Airlines have to create an extra tometable just for those two weeks.

MWorth
8th Mar 2013, 13:27
Except it's more than two weeks this year.:confused:

Herod
8th Mar 2013, 14:06
Until recently, the UK set summer time to begin two weeks differently to the rest of Europe. At least we're in step now. The next challenge is to get the politicians to set us on the same time as the rest of Europe. The energy savings and extra productivity are measured in the millions of pounds, and would cost nothing to implement. The Scottish farmers can get used to milking in the dark; the Scandinavians seem to manage, and they're a lot further north.

chevvron
8th Mar 2013, 14:59
Who cares about the Scots, they don't care about us. If they want their own time zone after independence let 'em do it. It works both ways though; when I worked in Glasgow one summer, it was still broad daylight at 11pm and in those days the pubs shut at 10pm.

DaveReidUK
8th Mar 2013, 16:14
Until recently, the UK set summer time to begin two weeks differently to the rest of Europe.We've started summer time on the same date as the rest of Europe (last Sunday in March) for the last 30 years or so, but the date we finished DST was often a week earlier than the EC/EU in the years up to and including 1995.

RobertS975
8th Mar 2013, 22:05
And South America has a completely different set of time changes. They changed to "standard time" in late February. Every locale should do what is best for their particular situation.

Capn Bloggs
8th Mar 2013, 22:23
if you are in the impacted areas
What happens when one is impacted by Daylight saving? Is it loud, painful or just more of a dull groan? :E

We're not affected by DLS; voted it out some years ago, never to return! :ok:

lomapaseo
9th Mar 2013, 01:57
What happens when one is impacted by Daylight saving? Is it loud, painful or just more of a dull groan?

only time will tell

boy that didn't take long to be moved down here in JB from R&N right after I posted in true JB style

Milo Minderbinder
9th Mar 2013, 07:35
Personally I think the whole calendar should be changed
First we should have a five-day week, so that the year can be divided up exactly. We'd have monday-friday, no saturday or sunday.
The extra day on a leap year would have to be outside the normal week, so maybe that should be sunday. (Go to church once every four years - sounds about typical fo most people)

Then the day should be changed to metric, so we have ten hours of 100 minutes each, each of 100 seconds. Obviously the seconds would have to be longer to cope, but it would make timekeeping so much easier.
I'm amazed it hasn't been done before

Lord Spandex Masher
9th Mar 2013, 07:40
The energy savings and extra productivity are measured in the millions of pounds, and would cost nothing to implement.
How's that work then?

Slasher
9th Mar 2013, 08:05
What happens when one is impacted by Daylight saving? Is it loud, painful or
just more of a dull groan?

Some Oz dingbat (likely a blonde) wrote into a paper yonks ago (when this
DLS nonsense first started) that the extra hour of daylight would cause her
curtains to fade.

Slasher
9th Mar 2013, 08:16
Then the day should be changed to metric,

Since 10 years = 1 decade, and 10 decades = 1 century, I think a new metric
calendar would work well -

100 seconds = 1 minute
100 minutes = 1 hour
10 hours = 1 day
10 days = 1 week
10 weeks = 1 month
10 months = 1 year

Metric seconds are adjusted so as to eliminate leap years - as well as killing
off that bothersome "Thirty days hath September April June and November..."
crap. :)

UniFoxOs
9th Mar 2013, 08:29
So are you proposing to speed up or slow down the earth to make the days or years fit the scheme?

Presumably one day would be still need to be the time from high noon to high noon, and one year the time from one equinox or solstice to the next?

UFO

chevvron
9th Mar 2013, 09:55
I can remember being on holiday in Portugal in October 1994. On the saturday, the clocks went back, so when we came home, we didn't need to change our watches straight away, but waited another week or so until clocks went back in the UK, so for a period of 2 weeks, UK and european time were the same.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Mar 2013, 10:00
that must have been confusing

good reason for giving the Scots independence actually. Let them piss off and do what they want, while we standardize with the rest of europe

Cacophonix
9th Mar 2013, 10:08
Some Oz dingbat (likely a blonde) wrote into a paper yonks ago (when this
DLS nonsense first started) that the extra hour of daylight would cause her
curtains to fade.

The concept of changing the numbers of hours in the day and the time has almost promulgated revolutions...

The change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar was a case in point...

History Of Our Calendar | Calendars (http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/year-history.html)

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Mar 2013, 10:14
Saskatchewan doesn't bother with DST, and keeps Central Standard Time when geographically it ought to keep Mountain time.

..apart from Lloydminster, which does officially keep Mountain time and DST

...and Creighton, which unofficially keeps CST and DST.

...and most inhabitants of Saskatchewan, who keep any time they [email protected] well please.;)

Slasher
9th Mar 2013, 11:10
So are you proposing...

Well I didn't say it was gonna be easy! :\

Would need a huge readjustment of the presently accepted norms of latitude
and solar references.

Discorde
9th Mar 2013, 14:04
. . . and a circle should contain 100 degrees, each divided into 10 minutes*. Each minute should contain 10 seconds.

*or possibly 100 minutes to align with Slasher's values.

tony draper
9th Mar 2013, 15:48
If it aint broke dont fix it,LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!:=
:rolleyes:

11Fan
9th Mar 2013, 16:37
As I don't set an alarm since I wake up with the sunlight coming in through the window, I'm going to be an hour late to work for a while.

BAMRA wake up
9th Mar 2013, 18:54
when I worked in Glasgow one summer, it was still broad daylight at 11pm

Well, the sun sets at seven minutes past ten (BST) in Glasgow this midsummer.

wings folded
9th Mar 2013, 19:08
If it aint broke dont fix it,LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!:=

correct in every detail

seacue
9th Mar 2013, 19:26
I thought that one of the changes wrought by the (French) Revolution was drastically changing the calendar, etc. Didn't last.

There was a period of a few years when the USA changed to/from summer time on the same dates as Europe ... but Congress couldn't let that continue.

tony draper
9th Mar 2013, 19:57
The buggas tried to steal the Zero Meridian as well :uhoh:

Slasher
10th Mar 2013, 03:08
If it aint broke dont fix it,LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!!

Drapes that'd hold true if it weren't for the metric system. Either every country goes
metric balls and all - or we go back to Imperial measurement. I'm sick up and fed of
mixing the two.

A metric (or more accurately "deci-based") system of time and date makes sense.

*or possibly 100 minutes to align with Slasher's values.

Discorde - correct. But as I hinted earlier ultimately the second (http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/second.html) would have to be
redefined.

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2013, 09:43
And as the clocks change in the US, the time stamp goes screwy on the forum...

Or every clock I have, even those that set themselves automatically according to "atomic" time, is one hour behind GMT+1

Edit

Ah, everything in order now, we are back in step with the real world

Discorde
10th Mar 2013, 11:12
At the risk of oversimplification:

The world is metric
The US is Imperial
Britain (which can't decide if it's European or American) uses both systems (to the detriment of education)

tony draper
10th Mar 2013, 11:17
That would be fine for we Englishmen who have ten fingers and toes Mr Slasher but how would those furriners manage.

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2013, 11:24
Overly oversimplified, as US Imperial is different from UK Imperial, which is still partially used worldwide (what size are your car tyres again? The rim diameter is still in inches.... And even here in Belgium we still use Imperial and BSP threads on some pipework. There is a bigger list of measures used, these are merely two examples), as well as the use of the metric system in various applications from aerospace to Customs in the US, so you cannot say that "Country A is Imperial and the rest are not" as the whole world uses a mish-mash of both measures in some way or another.

Hell, we still buy a "pint" of beer in the bars here. Well, it's called that despite it now being 500ml instead of an actual "pint", but you get the idea of how "Pints" and, indeed, "pounds" of something are still known measures even in a country that is allegedly fully metric.......

galaxy flyer
10th Mar 2013, 13:34
Yes, Hellsbrink, but things are always a bit confusing in Belgium. How's that "government" thing working?

GF

hellsbrink
10th Mar 2013, 13:43
It's lasted longer than anyone thought!

G&T ice n slice
10th Mar 2013, 13:57
Since 10 years = 1 decade, and 10 decades = 1 century, I think a new metric
calendar would work well -
100 seconds = 1 minute; 100 minutes = 1 hour; 10 hours = 1 day; 10 days = 1 week; 10 weeks = 1 month; 10 months = 1 year

. . . and a circle should contain 100 degrees, each divided into 10 minutes*. Each minute should contain 10 seconds.

All very well, BUT you've missed out the important bit, which is that all these names will have to be changed, I mean we can't have simple things like "cycles per second" or CPS, it has to be "Hertz" [Hz] named in line with, I'm guessing, a big dollop of cash sponsor from a vehicle rental company, or "Celsius" instead of the understandable "centigrade".

So the year would become the "Pan American World Airways" or "PanAm" until they go bust and then a new sponsor would have to step in eg "United Airlines" or "Sanyo Musicbox" etc etc

Same with all the other things. I suppose they could name things after obscure scientific figures that no-one's ever heard of?

US Imperial is different from UK Imperial

Do the cousins refer to it as "Imperial" ?

tony draper
10th Mar 2013, 14:20
1 x Lustrum= 5 years.:)

DX Wombat
10th Mar 2013, 14:39
"Hertz" [Hz] named in line with, I'm guessing, a big dollop of cash sponsor from a vehicle rental company,Give me strength! I do hope that was said in jest and that the old adage "It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt" does not apply.
Hertz. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Hertz)

ricardian
10th Mar 2013, 14:45
In 1793, the Ffrench replaced the old clock with French Revolutionary Time (http://mentalfloss.com/article/32127/decimal-time-how-french-made-10-hour-day): a 10-hour day, with 100 minutes per hour, and 100 seconds per minute.

DX Wombat
10th Mar 2013, 14:50
So the year would become the "Pan American World Airways" or "PanAm" until they go bust and then a new sponsor would have to step in eg "United Airlines" or "Sanyo Musicbox" etc etc
Better still by Trans World Air Traffic Services. :rolleyes: ;)

G&T ice n slice
10th Mar 2013, 21:58
Give me strength! I do hope that was said in jest and that the old adage "It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt" does not apply.

Hmmmm

You know, it's not often that I take exception to anything said about me, but on this occasion I think I'll make an exception.

Whoever you are you're a complete:mad:

Did you actually read what was written? Did you perhaps notice that the whole thing was incredibly silly? Are you SO stupid that I have to post little smilies all over? Just to give you a hint?

Oh I can't be bothered