PDA

View Full Version : Shenzhen Airlines and working in China

Skullduggery
7th Mar 2013, 17:42
I was just hoping to open a bit of a discussion on contract flying in China and possibly get some info from those who might be on the WASINC contract with Shenzhen.

Currently B737 captain who is interested in obtaining information from those who are in the know and what their thoughts are on living in China and what their experiences have been with the agency they are dealing with. In retrospect, was there anything specific that you felt was overlooked on the contract that you are on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not considering bringing my family, but would rather do the commuting contract. Anyone on that, and if so, how is it working out?

And yes, I have scoured the threads here and elsewhere. Just looking for some fresh input. Many thanks in advance.:)

Apache702
7th Mar 2013, 19:11
They all depend on the companies they provide crew with. U cant beleive any of them as the contract can change anytime. Working in China should be your last option, the money is just not good enough to go through all this,
pollution, low food quality and very expensive imported food (if u want to stay healthy) expensive housing ,doing multiple body scan, xrays, brain scan, heart scan, vein scan, liver scan, kidney scan, etc...and always being watch on stupid things, FO jumping on the first opportunity to report you..working in china should be your last option if you really need a job and have no food left in the fridge.
Honk Kong is ok. not perfect but ok. Medical is ICAO standard. straight forward.

Oceanic815Pilot
10th Mar 2013, 13:19
Skull,

I spent four years at SZA on the Bus with WASInc. before I left.

Shenzhen as a city isn't as bad with pollution as Beijing and you will learn to deal with the Chinese culture. Living by yourself won't be too expensive and you rapidly just accept the prices for good imported food. The local produce is pretty good - especially the fruit. For medical care don't waste your time on the mainland and go straight to Hong Kong for anything beyond the simplest illnesses.

I rather miss the big city life and especially the relationships you can build among the expats and the locals alike.

As far as working there I left because I was turning into an evil captain and never quite figured out how not to care about how things were being done. The flying was frustrating at best in my opinion.

The crews were nice enough most of the time and some I really enjoyed getting together on overnights with.

The contract changes every 6-12 months and the airline's interpretation about as often I think. I'm told the commuting contract is changing again soon.

The Airbus did mostly 2,3 & 4 day trips while the Boeing did mostly day trips while I was there. Pros and cons to both.

Basically your mileage may vary based on expectations. While I miss the living there part I haven't looked back for switching jobs once.

Good luck to you.