PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bulls

rgbrock1
7th Mar 2013, 15:52
I was just reading a story about a 14 month old child who was mauled to death by a pair of pit bulls. Of course this is not the first time pit bulls have killed someone. Far from it.

Having said all that, I know nothing about this breed of dogs. But what is it with their seeming aggressive behavior toward humans? Are they naturally like that or trained to be so? Are they born vicious or become that way?

Curious.

500N
7th Mar 2013, 15:54
For a start, a 14 month old is not a human to the dog so remove
the "human" element from the argument and you are half way there.

Same as Wolves v Humans - we are not humans to them but an animal,
meat, a feed.

rgbrock1
7th Mar 2013, 16:02
500N;

In this case the victim was 14 months old. However, there have been many, many cases where the victims were of all ages, young to old.

A pit bull is not a wolf. It is a domesticated - supposedly - dog.

So, back to the original question. What is it about this breed of dog which makes it so seemingly vicious: in-bred or trained?

Lon More
7th Mar 2013, 16:20
What is it about this breed of dog which makes it so seemingly vicious: in-bred or trained

Both, I think. Lots of the blame for inbreeding, though not neccissarily in this case, lies firmly at the feet of the various clubs, promoting the "ideal" dog. Look at this poor example.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/xaque/350px-ThatcherMutt.jpg

DX Wombat
7th Mar 2013, 16:33
Lon! :D Now, I need to send you the bill for cleaning my keyboard so please provide me with an address. ;)
To return to the subject. It is a combination of several factors. Pitbulls are not the most peace-loving dogs nor are they the Einsteins of the dog world and are usually owned by their human equivalent or worse. They are often purchased as Trophy or Status dogs by those who need to feel that ownership of one proves how tough they (the humans) are and/or who wish to train (if it can be called that) them for dog fighting.

con-pilot
7th Mar 2013, 17:08
Strange thing about pit bulls happened to us.

Our first Great Pyrenees came from a rescue home, he was about five years old when he arrived at our house. Some friends came over bring their pit bull with them. Now this pit bull had been in our home many times and there had never been a problem.

But on this day, it was different. Our friends had no sooner got out of their car with the pit bull when our Great Pyrenees jumped up and ran to the front door, glass, hitting it so hard that I thought it would break. He was barking furiously and baring his fangs. It took us by surprise as he had never acted so violently before. Our friends took the pit bull home, came back, no problems.

Six years later the Great Pyrenees passed away and we got a new Great Pyrenees puppy. When it was about eight months old, our friends decided to bring their pit bull over again.

The same thing happened with our new Great Pyrenees, they got out of the car with the pit bull and she went crazy trying to get through the front door to attack the pit bull.

Please understand that with both Great Pyrenees we had them interact with other breeds of dogs with no problems what so ever, only with pit bulls would they become highly agitated. Plus, they never actually saw the pit bull until after they hit the front door trying to get out, somehow they sensed that the pit bull was there as soon as it got out of the car.

Still have not figured this out.

Lance Murdoch
7th Mar 2013, 17:21
I think DX hits the nail on the head. The dangerous dogs problem could be solved simply by having the owner accompany the dog to the local vets where the vet can administer an injection to put the owner down.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 17:41
no need to go that far
The Pit Bull problem can be solved by simple compulsory castration of the owners. I think the numbers would quickly drop......

what you have to remember is that Pit Bulls are bred as a type not as a breed, and are specifically bred to be fighting dogs. In essence they are beefed up Staffordshire Bull Terriers (which have a schizoid genetic tendency anyway) crossed with larger mastiff-type dogs (usually bull-mastiff blood, but can be elements of the various english / french / italian mastiff types, a bit of bulldog, and sometimes Great Dane for size and a bit of Rotty for bulk). But the essence is that they are genetically schizoid - just like some Ridgebacks (the better the ridge, the bigger the risk), some Cocker Spaniels (yep really - skull too small for the brain!!) and can go off the handle at the slightest provocation.
I do wonder if theres a genetic "smell" about them which triggers other dogs.....I've seen other examples where a normally docile dog becomes aggresively excited in a Pit Bulls or Staffies presence. Never seen it with an English Bull Terrier though

rgbrock1
7th Mar 2013, 17:48
Interesting, con. It's almost like both your dogs knew Satan himself was around.

Milo: thanks for the info.

con-pilot
7th Mar 2013, 18:11
Interesting, con. It's almost like both your dogs knew Satan himself was around.

On the first instance of this happening, I could somewhat understand what had happened. Onyo, our first Great Pyrenees, we had gotten from a very large animal rescue center in Utah. He had been in the shelter for three years, mixed in with other breeds of dogs, including pit bulls. So we figured that he had some problems with pit bulls while he was there.

But that does not explain the reaction of our new Great Pyrenees, Anya, who reacted in the same exact way when she had never been around a pit bull for her entire life up to that point.

Beats the hell out of me.

Rail Engineer
7th Mar 2013, 19:09
Lon More
Your ongoing fascination with associating anything and everything with Mrs Thatcher suggests an internalised psychological problem.

To quote Queen Gertrude from Macbeth Act III, scene II "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

The phrase has come to mean that one can "insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what one is saying". In this case it would suggest far from disliking Mrs Thatcher, the opposite is true.

One sees a similar form of psychologiocal denial with those who claim to dislike the Daily Mail but know everything about it including the current day's news.

Modern day psychologists are well versed in remediating such problems so do not feel constrained from going to seek help. Such problems are now much more understood and treatable so there is no neeed to feel embarrassed.

probes
7th Mar 2013, 19:21
where the vet can administer an injection to put the owner down.
totally. Nothing wrong with the breed, don't generate BS. Personally know a breeder and several sweet and cute pitbulls.
As for weird reactions - even people react weidrly sometimes. Our dachs went to another cute dachs, no signs of dislike, went there and just bit his nose. Not seriously, but still. No warning (usually I can 'read' her).

rgbrock1
7th Mar 2013, 19:30
probes:

People may react "weirdly" to others on occasion but unlike your dachs people usually don't bit other peoples' noses!!!! :}:}

Rail Engineer
7th Mar 2013, 19:39
Can anyone explain the purpose of owning a pit bull ?

An animal bred specifically to be aggressive and sufficiently strong enough to be almost uncontrollable when they attack.

Pit bull attacks are only ever stopped by the dog's own action or by its death.

On an intelligence scale they are way down the list and are pretty much akin intellectually to the lowlife whose psychological issues require them to gain respect through their pit bull.

It doesn't take much for the red mist to appear and then when it does its extremely hard to see through it.

vulcanised
7th Mar 2013, 19:42
Lon More
Your ongoing fascination with associating anything and everything with Mrs Thatcher suggests an internalised psychological problem.

That thought has also crossed my mind, but I was too polite to say http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

probes
7th Mar 2013, 19:46
Can anyone explain the purpose of owning a pit bull?
yes. They are cute and look very interesting. A bit like piglets when you rub them.
It's not their fault that people are bastards sometimes.

1DC
7th Mar 2013, 20:41
Mrs. Thatcher? I thought he had put up a picture of Barbara Castle!!

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 20:53
Pit Bulls and Staffies are psychotic schizoid bastards that will smile at you one minute and next will have a brain fart and bite your arm off.
I've still got scars on my backside from a Staffie that flipped when I bent down to pick up some dropped money on the floor of a pub.
And as I said before, Pit Bulls are essentially Staffies on steroids - the Mike Tysons of the canine world, or maybe the Idi Amins.....

For that matter pigs are evil swine that given a chance will chomp you to bits and just leave behind your welly boots - if you're lucky. A pig can and will take your arm off in one chomp

probes
7th Mar 2013, 20:57
you know, Milo... what was the saying about dogs having a sense or sniff about who's a good person and who's evil? :E

Hydromet
7th Mar 2013, 20:59
Can anyone explain the purpose of owning a pit bull ?
On an intelligence scale they are way down the list
Most pit bull owners seem to have them so they can associate with (comparative) intellectuals.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 21:16
Most dogs love me Probes.....

Lon More
7th Mar 2013, 21:24
That thought has also crossed my mind, but I was too polite to say

why not? it never stopped you before.
Strange that when one of you posts the other almost always pops in agreenment.

Like Camerloon, nothing original to say?

vulcanised
7th Mar 2013, 21:29
Making it up as you go along, Lon !

I have never responded to a post from RE before now.

lomapaseo
7th Mar 2013, 21:37
Modern day psychologists are well versed in remediating such problems so do not feel constrained from going to seek help. Such problems are now much more understood and treatable so there is no neeed to feel embarrassed.

are you suggesting he should sleep with the lady/dog :confused:

probes
8th Mar 2013, 07:11
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7f83cvWNW1qicd09o1_500.jpg

Country Girl (http://virginia-bluebell.tumblr.com/post/27568300060)

Lightning Mate
8th Mar 2013, 07:25
Sweet picture probes.

Another:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/Lightning_29/PitBullattack_zpse30a15f1.jpg

probes
8th Mar 2013, 07:33
yes, LM, depends on the owner. Also - you never have dogs (of any breed) and kids playing on their own. As dogs are animals and kids can't fully understand when it's too much for them. My point was that a pit bull is not a predator by nature - like one could have a lion cub and get eaten up when it grows into a lion, as a lion is a wild animal and that's what lions do. Pit bulls are not murderous by nature. A very alpha german shepherd would be no less dangerous, if spoilt by the owner.

Slasher
8th Mar 2013, 07:42
Most dogs love me Probes.....

You'll find those same skanks love every bloke Milo! ;)

Milo Minderbinder
8th Mar 2013, 07:54
"You'll find those same skanks love every bloke Milo!"

I always find it helps to let them have a meaty flavoured chew at the first time of meeting

Curious Pax
8th Mar 2013, 08:16
Agree with Probes and DX - while there is a small risk with most (if not all) breeds of a psychological problem, 95% of a dog's behaviour is down to training. If a pitbull has been acquired as a guide dog for the hard of thinking, not trained properly, or trained to be aggressive then there will always be problems. Staffies didn't used to have the reputation they have now until pitbulls were banned, and some bright (?) spark decided that Staffies resembled pitbulls sufficiently to allow them to become the new penis extension.

AlpineSkier
8th Mar 2013, 09:05
So Lon

How many spontaneous, non-co-ordinated posts do you require before you acknowlege the reality ?