PDA

View Full Version : Humans: 50% cull 'necessary to protect countryside'

Cheerio
7th Mar 2013, 09:04
Listening to this on the radio whilst tucking into my porage oats this morning

There are now more deer in the UK than at any time since the last Ice Age. 'What we are advocating isn't removing deer from the countryside - what we are advocating is trying to get on top of the deer population explosion;

BBC News - Deer: 50% cull 'necessary to protect countryside' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21688447)

I couldn't help imagining a future where the discussion was about our own parasitic species.

Lucky deer, they are part of man's domain eh? It seems though, our benevolent husbandry doesn't make any provision for our own.

AlpineSkier
7th Mar 2013, 09:11
I wonder if they now start discovering venison instead of beef in lasagna, if there will be the same outcry (Fraud ! )

gunbus
7th Mar 2013, 09:13
I would find a cull of the criminal classes and illegals a more satisfying proposition :E

stuckgear
7th Mar 2013, 09:26
There are now more deer in the UK than at any time since the last Ice Age

i love it when b/s statistics are bandied about.. lets look at that.. how many records of deer population in the UK are there dating back to the last ice age..

would find a cull of the criminal classes and illegals a more satisfying proposition http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

works for me though the fluffies wont like it.

Slasher
7th Mar 2013, 10:01
There are now more deer in the UK than at any time since the last Ice Age.

Exactly my thought too stuck. In Ostraya everything is "since WW2". Some I recall -

Worst economic crisis since WW2
Biggest tragedy since WW2
A political event not seen since WW2
Largest flood since WW2
Longest draught since WW2
Disturbingly low birthrate since WW2
Such terrible trends haven't emerged since WW2

Obviously Oz must've been a pretty crappy place in Word War II.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 10:04
Exactly my thought too stuck. In Ostraya everything is "since WW2". Some I recall -

Worst economic crisis since WW2
Biggest tragedy since WW2
A political event not seen since WW2
Largest flood since WW2
Longest draught since WW2
Disturbingly low birthrate since WW2
Such terrible trends haven't emerged since WW2

Obviously Oz must've been a pretty crappy place in Word War II.

Once we populated it the place was always doomed :ok:

charliegolf
7th Mar 2013, 10:21
I would find a cull of the criminal classes and illegals a more satisfying proposition

That's a very clever idea. It's dulls a bit when you realise that in this country, it will be council workers, or some other low level functionary making the decision. Be careful what you wish for.

CG

stuckgear
7th Mar 2013, 10:23
easy one there..

start with councillors.. heck we need to reduce the public sector anyway so it's a win-win.

G&T ice n slice
7th Mar 2013, 11:22
They breed very quickly
Numbers greater than can be supported by the immediate environment means that the excess move into areas where they are disruptive; consume resources that are required by the original inhabitants; despoil the countryside with their damaging habits; Cause many vehicle accidents; Are a danger to people in their rutting season;

Yep, definitely agree that at least a 50% cull required.

I also think there are probably too many deer.

stuckgear
7th Mar 2013, 12:03
you're talking about councillors G&T, yes ?

toffeez
7th Mar 2013, 12:21
Let the animals get on with their business, and us with ours.

Limeygal
7th Mar 2013, 12:54
cull of the criminal classes

. . .and people with more than 10 items in the express queue

Slasher
7th Mar 2013, 13:00
Nah - they just need to be beaten by a humble 61yo with a big stick!

thing
7th Mar 2013, 14:45
Surprisingly enough there are deer road signs near my house and you actually do get deer running across the road, those little Muntchuck (sp?) things, about the size of a big dog and barrel shaped. Make a real mess of your car if you ding one.

500N
7th Mar 2013, 15:00
G&T

Agree.

We have to do culls where I hunt here in Aus.

Once you get to a certain level, the numbers explode each year
and compound the problem unless a major cull is carried out.

The population will double approx every 2 years.

charliegolf
7th Mar 2013, 16:12
Why is venison not a cheap cut in the UK then?

CG

G&T ice n slice
7th Mar 2013, 17:28
you're talking about councillors G&T, yes ?

ooo.. now you're asking! the list is just sooo long!

Politico's at all levels; anyone favoured by the left-wing pinko liberal commie hand-wringing appologists, indeed the aforementioned LWPLCHWA themselves.

gunbus
7th Mar 2013, 17:29
STUCKGEAR

Sorry, I consider the fluffies part of the criminal element !!

gunbus
7th Mar 2013, 17:33
Good point Charliegolf,nothings cheap in the UK,apart from life that is

500N
7th Mar 2013, 20:02
"Why is venison not a cheap cut in the UK then?"

Because the price things are is determined by how the market
views the product, the size of the market, what the market
will bear and the capacity of people to pay.

It is why a lot of things are higher in price than in the US.

tony draper
7th Mar 2013, 20:12
We could of course re introduce Wolves to our green and pleasant land,a few packs of them in our inner cities could take care of the gang culture as well as the Deer.
Perhaps a few Kodiak Bears as well.
:E

G&T ice n slice
7th Mar 2013, 20:53
Why venison isn't cheap (various things wot I learned by ear'oling these blokes down the pub, so it must be write)

(1) you can't round up deer and take them to the abbatoir, you've got to sneak up on them an drop them with a single shot from a range where they're dead before they hear the rifle go "bang". This is because the deer stress up a lot and it makes the blood go off and the meat is then no good.
(2) since all the other deer will hear the "bang" and scatter you can usually only get 1 deer at a time.
(3) you can't just throw the carcase in the back of your pickup, you've got to partially do the basic abbatoir stuf like taking out the intestines and liver because otherwise the meat goes off very quickly. Also you have to remove the entire intestine including the exterioir parts at the rear end and internally all the way to above the "crop" (? qmark) otherwise the meat will be tainted & unsafe.
(4) Once you have done that then you can sling it (the carcase) in the back of your pickup & take it to a special abbatoir to be filleted, jointed etc because this is not a job for the average abbatoir worker because it's a different set of joints & cuts.
(5) the meat has to be hung differently from beef. and for a longer time.
(6) there are some diseases that deer may get which makes the meat unfit for humans and only people specially trained know what to look for.
(7) There was a lot of other stuff, but i missed it.

So I think effectively it means 2 blokes take 1 day to get 1 carcase. So not very time-and-motion effeicient

ps carcase? carcass? dead body of an animal anyway

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 21:11
Besides all that......a big reason its expensive (or at least was historically) was because a butcher needed a game licence to sell venison, and the only way to get that was to toady up to the local landowning bigwig magistrates who approved the licences.......baksheesh payments all the way. After all they had to ensure that only "proper" people could eat the landowners meat.. If anyone tells you the game licence is due to the need for extra hygeine, they're talking bull: you also need a game licence for hare and pheasants and they don't need special treatment.

However the fact remains that you CAN get venison cheap.....if you ask around the correct pubs / clubs etc. A lot of deer killed are killed illegally and the meat gets onto the illicit market, with all the risk that entails for safety and hygeine.

Deer are at a population high in the UK - at least for the last few hundred years. You have to remember that virtually all deer were exterminated in England in medieval times, and the current red and roe populations are in the main (with very few exceptions) descended from Victorian foreign reintroductions, following a prolonged absence from the British fauna. Why do you think foxhunting started? It was because all the more interesting animals (including deer) were wiped out.

One word of caution though - the report was based on a survey of Thetford Forest, hardly a typical farmland environment

500N
7th Mar 2013, 21:18
Milo

30 years ago - and earlier, deer hunting was to an extent the preserve of the wealthy, especially Red Deer / Monarch of the Glen type.

Apart from having a lot more into deer hunting, it is a lot cheaper
to do and a lot more people have access because the price is lower,
even to the extent of culls occurring, not just to manage herds but
to decrease the population.

Large deer herds are not good for Trophy hunting (ie heads) as you
get strains showing that are not culled and so show up again and again
and dilute the good heads where as in the past they might have been
culled out.

Deer can be farmed, just need a lot of land and bloody high fences
- and even that won't keep them in !!!

tony draper
7th Mar 2013, 21:50
They had a bit more meat on em in the olden days.(not this one):)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/irish_elk2_zps0c887ec0.jpg

500N
7th Mar 2013, 21:58
Tony

Where did that come from ? Link ?

Looks like a massive Fallow deer.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 22:12
Irish Elk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Elk)

Brian Abraham
7th Mar 2013, 23:56
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/576003_498283910231802_109598921_n.jpg

reynoldsno1
8th Mar 2013, 00:37
Why is venison not a cheap cut in the UK then?
Why venison isn't cheap
What yer need is a EU directive, and then it'll become pretty easy to handle it and call it what yer like.

galaxy flyer
8th Mar 2013, 01:14
Brian,

Is this "seppo.net" some kind of cheap anti-seppo slur? Or, just a normal anti-seppo slur?

GF

KAG
8th Mar 2013, 01:31
Cheerio: you nailed it.

To protect the countryside? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

The human race is such a piece of sh#t at times.

Really? So what should we do to protect the deers, the planet then? Kill ourselves?

We are sooooooooooooooooo pathetic. And if we have people to write this kind of article and people to read it without seing clearly the dark irony in it, then we are not worth much.

Good one Cheerio. People like you give me some hope in our stupid and arrogant race.
Monkeys anyway... Why am I surprised?
God what have you done, giving consciousness to stupid arrogant monkeys??? ;););)

notmyC150v2
8th Mar 2013, 01:32
I think the North Koreans are turning their mind to the issue of human overpopulation as we speak. :eek: :sad:

Brian Abraham
8th Mar 2013, 09:35
Is this "seppo.net" some kind of cheap anti-seppo slur? Or, just a normal anti-seppo slur?Humble apologies GF. I had to look up what "seppo" meant. Lifted the cartoon off Face book.

hellsbrink
8th Mar 2013, 10:50
Is this "seppo.net" some kind of cheap anti-seppo slur? Or, just a normal anti-seppo slur?

Or option 3

The name of the person who runs seppo.net

About Seppo | Environmental Cartoons (http://www.seppo.net/e/aboutseppo)

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

galaxy flyer
8th Mar 2013, 15:30
It was all tongue in cheek, Brian. Surprised an Aussie didn't know "seppo", tho; one of the first bit of Strine I learnt.

GF

Brian Abraham
8th Mar 2013, 23:22
It was all tongue in cheekFully realised that GF, but even after spending 15 months with the USN, and a year with your Army, I must have been asleep during the etiquette class. Nice to know that it can be used as a term of endearment, or pejoratively. Much like our "bastard".

Slasher
9th Mar 2013, 00:31
Never heard "seppo" - "septic tank" yes. But then I was from Adelaide. Crow
eaters aren't always on top of the fashionable derogs.

Brian Abraham
9th Mar 2013, 01:15
Whyalla boy Slash. Thanks for the "out".

galaxy flyer
9th Mar 2013, 01:48
Have to confess, it was a Canuck who told me that, but he had lived in OZ. Good man, even if he flew CL-415s.

GF