PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Sight at Staverton

Stan Evil
23rd Apr 2002, 16:11
Doing an approach at Gloucester the other day I saw what I guess was the contents of an air museum (lots of bits of aircraft) in a heap next to the control tower. Has it got a future or is it all just going to rot away?

izod tester
24th Apr 2002, 06:05
The Jet Age Museum owns those aircraft. The museum was located in a hangar on the west side of the airfield until evicted last year because the airfield owner wanted to develop it. The museum applied for a lottery grant to refurbish the original Gloster aircraft hangar at Brockworth but that was turned down. They are currently raising money to build a new hangar at Staverton. The better relics, including a Gamecock replica, are currently in store at the old Rolls Royce facility at Bentham.

Nopax,thanx
24th Apr 2002, 12:46
It's deeply annoying when Lottery funding goes to fund "new" projects with little or no heritage, and yet our History, in the form of a facility dedicated to Gloster aircraft and the once thriving aviation industry in the region, gets swept aside.

I visited the museum in '99 and had a great day - the volunteers there are a wonderful group of people; let's hope that their dreams can be realised - do support them if you can.

izod tester
25th Apr 2002, 06:38
Did a search, Jet Age Museum web site is at http://www.jetagemuseum.org/

spekesoftly
25th Apr 2002, 07:39
izod,

Just tried your link, and got the following:-

'The page you tried to access doesn't exist' :confused:

newswatcher
25th Apr 2002, 12:04
Try:

http://www.softdata.co.uk/gloucester/jet.htm

or:

http://www.jetagemuseum.org/index.htm

spekesoftly
25th Apr 2002, 12:22

BEagle
26th Apr 2002, 12:24
Are you sure that you weren't on an approach to Brize Norton........??

Biggles Flies Undone
26th Apr 2002, 14:22
:rolleyes: :D

izod tester
27th Apr 2002, 13:07
Sorry, ISS taught me to finish sentences with full stops. In my post re the link to the Jet Age museum the full stop got amalgamated into the URL so the link failed to work.

Is this the first time compliance with ISS teaching has totally broken the function of a sentence?

spekesoftly
27th Apr 2002, 16:19
Possibly! :D

izod tester
18th Jul 2002, 21:33
Tewkesbury Borough Council have unanimously recommended planning permission for a building at Staverton to house the Jet Age Museum. Tewkesbury Borough Council have also promised £250,000 towards the building and Cheltenham and Gloucester councils have promised to donate the site. The application was supported by Churchdown parish council. Final decision will have to be by the Secretary of State since the building would be on Green Belt land. If the SofS approves the plan, then a new application will be made to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a further £250,000. SofS's decision should be in about 6 weeks.

jabberwok
21st Jul 2002, 03:17
Moving off at a tangent..

What state is the hangar in at Brockworth? Is that the only evidence left of this airfield or are there other artefacts remaining?

Jabberwok