PDA

View Full Version : Nani Red Card

mrangryofwarlingham
6th Mar 2013, 18:58
how come no thread to discuss this controversial event?

Lon More
6th Mar 2013, 19:19
What event? An overpaid idiot getting his comeuppance?

Lord Spandex Masher
6th Mar 2013, 19:24
Sorry. Irrelevant. Ball's the wrong shape and bounces funny.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Mar 2013, 19:29
Footballers, and their fans, are not interested in following the rules. They are interested in not being caught breaking them. Every corner kick would show you at least 10 deliberate rule breaches.
Ergo, they have no grounds to complain about others breaking the rules or the ref misapplying them.

cavortingcheetah
6th Mar 2013, 19:31
Looks as though the real team won!

screwballburling
6th Mar 2013, 19:35
It wasn't a red card as far as I was concerned.

I thought it was funny the way Feggie shot down those stars!! haha. Not too sluggish for a 71 year old.

As for their pay. Well it is a bit like motor racing, each game could be their last, though not through fatalities.

Mr Chips
6th Mar 2013, 19:53
I didn't think we discussed sports in here! But as you started...

It wasn't a red card as far as I was concerned.

yes it was. the referee said so. End of story! (and apparently, accpording to the laws, as discussed by the ITV team, it was a red card)

What SHOULD have happened was that each and every player who crowded the referee should have been booked for dissent, and that appalling display by Rio Ferdinand of clapping in the referee's face should also have earned at least a yellow card, or a massive sanction. The football types can talk about respect all tehy like, but until these over paid "role models" start being punished for their behaviour there will never be any respect at any level of the game.

This doesn't happen (often) in Rugby. It doesn't happen(often) because of the sanctions in place.

Saintsman
6th Mar 2013, 19:54
So Fergie was distraught?

Now he knows what it feels like for the rest of us to play against Man Ure.

P6 Driver
6th Mar 2013, 20:23
how come no thread to discuss this controversial event?

Well there's this thread now!

Man U can complain all they like but if it had been an opposition player who had kicked Nani in the chest as Nani kicked the other chap, whether intentional or not, Man U would have wanted the guys dangly bits hanging off a lamp post within the hour for it - and had his dog killed for good measure.

Apparently one 18 year old Man U "fan" phoned 999 to speak to the Police about it - God help us all if that's the intelligence level on display from their "fans".
:rolleyes:

SMT Member
6th Mar 2013, 20:26
You want a discussion? Well, here's some inspiration:

http://i50.tinypic.com/34g3qe8.jpg

TURIN
6th Mar 2013, 20:32
Poor referee. Ruined a great game of football.

Real may well have come back and won anyway, who's to know?
All I know is that the simple game is now ruined by idiotic rules that referees stick to regardless of context, common sense or fair play.
Nani was watching the ball, no intent to harm the Real player. It was a footballing incident. End.

Mr Chips
6th Mar 2013, 20:50
rules that referees stick to
Mildly selective quoting (:E) but ya get my point?

If the rules say you can't do it...then you can't do it!

I agree the referee was poor - for not booking each and every player for dissent!

toffeez
6th Mar 2013, 20:52
Anyone called nanny who drives (can he?) a Bentley deserves all he gets.

galaxy flyer
6th Mar 2013, 20:56
Who cares, it's soccer--the most boring game played by boys in the employ of excreable rich guys for the entertainment of the unwashed. Only the felonious Yankee game is worse--violence with committee meetings.

GF

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Mar 2013, 21:37
Yes, it was poor refereeing and it ruined the game, but.....

The major part of the referee's job should be applying the laws accidentally broken. In football the players are breaking the rules deliberately all the time. It makes refereeing an impossible job which is more prone to mistakes.

In a decent sport, like rugby, cricket or hockey, captains are responsible for the conduct of their teams, and can be sent off for failing to do so. In football, this is not so.

There is no 'heat of the moment' excuse for arguing with the ref. In ice hockey, tempers get so hot that fights are a regular occurrence, yet I have never seen any player so much as give a referee a dirty look.

seanbean
6th Mar 2013, 23:02
Just about sums it up:

ITALIAN SOCCER TRAINING - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=20XuPlde-Z0)

Tankertrashnav
6th Mar 2013, 23:07
I feel sorry for the wasp that Ferguson was chewing :E

david1300
6th Mar 2013, 23:15
How pwecious is little dum-dums.

As stated above, when they stop breaking the laws deliberately, 'diving' to get an unfair advantage (ooohhh, that nasty man broke your fingernail - that's OK, the stretcher will be soon) and generally behaving like a bunch of poonces (never heard the word - just made it up but it sounds good), maybe we will all take it a little more seriously.

Until then, consider this as a comparison: Ryan Kesler (NHL Hockey Player), plays 3 weeks with a fracture in his foot, bvefore taking 3 to 6 weeks off.

“He blocked a few shots since he’s been back,” Vigneault said Wednesday. “That foot had taken two X-rays, he’d been playing and other than some discomfort, he was handling it well.” After a four-game road trip, Vigneault said, Kesler “told our doctor that he still felt a little discomfort.”
Vigneault added, “So just to have peace of mind, they did another CT scan, and we didn’t get the result that we anticipated.”

PLovett
6th Mar 2013, 23:58
Any time Man U gets beaten is a good decision. :E

ZFT
7th Mar 2013, 00:48
Any time Man U gets beaten is a good decision. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Second that:D

david1300
7th Mar 2013, 01:27
Here's how to let on field get settled. The refs don't step in until they go to ground, and those involved know they will get penalised, but it resolves the issue:

Senators' Dziurzynski suffers concussion in fight - NHL.com - News (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658948&navid=nhl:topheads)

Watch this one, though, and it gives an understanding into the 'culture': Thornton & Erskine - same link, but select it from the 'row' at the bottom of the video.

Senators' Dziurzynski suffers concussion in fight - NHL.com - News (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658948&navid=nhl:topheads)

Another view of the same incident, but I prefer the commentary on the NHL link:
DpWtGahwIt4

None of the 'powder puffs at spitting distance' that you see in soccer:p

Flap 5
7th Mar 2013, 06:55
Wow! A lot of vitriol against Man U. on this thread!

I was very surprised, as was the commentator, when the red card came out. Nani had clearly been watching the ball and had his foot up to bring the ball down under control. No malice or intent against the Madrid player at all. In fact he was only aware of the Madrid player when the ball was passing him. And that was clear in 'real time' and not just afterwards on replays.

I would have thought that a red card would only be used if the referee is convinced that malice and intent to injure is present at the time. It is difficult to see how the ref could have seen that.

I am not a Man U. fan, but I would support a British side over a foreign one.

sidevalve
7th Mar 2013, 07:20
The FIFA Laws of the game (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/refereeing/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf) are explicit on this point.
See Pages 38-39. There's no mention of intent or malice.
If you read what constitutes a yellow or a red card offence, it's clear to me that Nani merited a 'red'.

Alloa Akbar
7th Mar 2013, 07:42
Oh dear.. here we go again.. another forum for the Pprune Pseudo-snobs to look down from their esteemed positions of self importance to cast dispersion on those who follow football.. "Unwashed"..??

Of course Cricket is never in the news for bribery and match fixing is it? Or who could forget "Bloodgate" on the rugby field.. No these are sports played by and followed by "Gentlemen" apparently.. Some of you need to really think before looking down on the rest of humanity, you really do look like pompous ar5ed w4nkers at times.

FWIW - Nani was a tad unlucky, however given his own track record, coupled with Fergie's blinked view, I did find it mildly amusing, with Fergies behavior simply pathetic. Mourinho - The eternal pantomime villain was superb in his new role of "Sympathetic foe" Keep it up Jose :ok:

All in all the ref killed a good game which had been developing with interesting sub-plots such as Ronaldo's emotional return and its obvious effect on him, Giggs at 39 playing with energy of a 19 year old, De Gea, despite previous goofs coming of age, and the battle between RVP and Sergio Ramos.. What might have been.. :hmm:

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 09:41
Oh dear.. here we go again.. another forum for the Pprune Pseudo-snobs to look down from their esteemed positions of self importance to cast dispersion on those who follow football.. "Unwashed"..??

Same thing every time anything mainstream is offered for discussion, see recent social media or mobile phone threads. It's almost as if some want to rush to pompously disassociate themselves in an attemp to look intellectually gifted but completely miss the point, and I just love the bile and envy of the 'over paid' rhetoric that is always trotted out :rolleyes:

Football has many many things wrong with it but it's one of the most played sports on the planet, disassociate by all mean but belittling is simply childish.

The on the pitch problems are as much the fault of the managers, officials and Associations around the world as they are all content to see the game played out in the manner it is.

If FIFA wanted to clean the game up it could do so overnight. It could issue strict instructions to all concerned with regard to on field conduct that would see, initially, plenty of games abandoned due to insufficient players left on the field and plenty of retrospective punishments based on conclusive video evidence.

The fact that it does not should tell even the 'cleverest' on here that blaming the players for using the system is the wrong approach.

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 10:11
Agreed.

It is the politics of envy, kicking in.

chevvron
7th Mar 2013, 10:24
Always like it when Man U lose - I remember when even Fulham managed to beat them twice in consecutive home matches - just a pity the ever arrogant and snobbish Ronaldo was on the winning team; amazing he didn't dive for a change.
At least the ref didn't show bias in Man U's favour like most Premier league ones do; that's what p155ed Fergie off.

SMT Member
7th Mar 2013, 10:34
I was very surprised, as was the commentator, when the red card came out.While I cannot comment on your personal surprise, I'd like you to know that "the commentator" is but one of several hundred broadcasting from a CL match. The commentators in my ear were not surprised at all Nani was sent off, but then again they didn't have any nationalistic involvement in the match.

As has been stated up thread, if you care to peruse the rulebook, the offense Nani committed is eligible for a red card. If your average Premier League referee won't make that call, or if that's call Man U are unfamiliar with, is really besides the point.

PS
There are few things I dislike about football. Man U is one of them, Ronaldo another. I therefore couldn't care less who won the match, it was always going to be a loose-loose in my book.

chevvron
7th Mar 2013, 11:16
I bet Fergie nearly swallowed his chewing gum. I noticed last night (Juve v Celtic) that Neil Lennon avoided that by spitting his out and throwing it on the ground.
Now of course, Fergie is facing a slapped wrist for not giving an interview after the game.
Bet they'll fine him a whole days pay.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Mar 2013, 11:22
The Laws of the game are not at all clear on the incident. Depends what you mean by violent or foul. Lifting a foot to chest height to control a ball is not, in itself, violent or foul. And if you are going to send off players for every contact that results in injury, many games would end up 7v6, not 11v11. A clash of heads during a corner does not result in the sending off of both players, and FIFA have never suggested it should.
Ergo, some form of intent, or lack of common sense, must be involved in FIFAs definition of violent or foul. That intent or lack of common sense is debatable

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 11:30
When playing a game being refereed by the gentleman concerned, all a player has to do is run into an apposing players boot, when he is try to bring down a high ball. That will surely get him sent off.

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 12:08
Nice rational arguments from the pro football crowd :hmm:

Bloodgate - one off incident in Rugby, happened several years ago and the manager responsible was banned for three years

Cricket fixing - didn't they send players to prison for that one?

Back chat a referee in Rugby? At best the penalty gets moved 10 yards. At worst? Ask Italy where their national captain has been for the last 20 days

Please don't start throwing out accusations of envy when people denigrate the great god Football. The players in football regularly fake injuries - to the extent that there is even now a specific offence of simulation! The players act like thugs on the field, abnuse the referees, won't accept decisions and yes, are paid phenomenal amounts of money which is taken from the fans in the form of high ticket prices/sky subscriptions/replica shirt sales etc

Despite all of that, the behaviour of Manchester United players at this game was appalling. You do not see that behaviour in other sports.

Why is it apparently acceptable in football?

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 12:19
Why is it apparently acceptable in football?

Define acceptable?

Is it acceptable to most sane and rational folk who love to watch the game, probably not I would suggest as the blatant cheating etc etc is disgraceful.

Is it acceptable to those who are in charge of Football, clearly it is.

Blaming the players for flouting the laws of the game is not the approach, the blame lies squarely at the feet of those who run the game.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
7th Mar 2013, 12:20
The 10 yard penalty for backchat also applies in field hockey. It is highly effective. Coupled with giving the Captain a responsibility for the team, I would strongly suggest its adoption in football.

SFFP - The problem with football, as patiently explained to me by my cousin with a Master's degree in this sort of thing (and a long-suffering but now delighted Man City fan), is that the average fan is in favour of the players cheating if it wins them the game and doesn't spoil the experience - to be exact, his team's players cheating. It is not entirely the fault of the authorities. This is why continual diving is unacceptable in the English game, but subtle diving to win a penalty/good free kick is acceptable.

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 12:23
Define acceptable?
Rio Ferdinand. How many weeks ban is he getting for his display of dis-respect to the referee?
Have the FA issued a statement condemning it?
Has the Club/manasger issued a statement condemning it?
Did ITV highlight it and say it was unacceptable?
Do the fans think he should be punsihed for it?

Seems to be accepted at all levels to me.

Why does it happen to such an extent in football but not other sports?

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 12:24
People, with a God given talent, sometimes behave like spoilt children.

I have seen an opera singer behave worse than any spoilt footballer, when they couldn't get their own way.. Witnessed it.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 12:33
Rio Ferdinand. How many weeks ban is he getting for his display of dis-respect to the referee?
Have the FA issued a statement condemning it?
Has the Club/manasger issued a statement condemning it?
Did ITV highlight it and say it was unacceptable?
Do the fans think he should be punsihed for it?

Seems to be accepted at all levels to me.

Why does it happen to such an extent in football but not other sports?

Put simply, the authorities allow it.

If they wanted the game cleaning up they could do it overnight but as Fox3 points out it has very sadly become an acceptable part of the game.

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 12:35
Interesting to note the two posters who jumped to the defence of football against all the elitist snobs on here have not taken a moment to mention that Rio Ferdinand was out of order.

respect is at all levels.

Well, it is in other sports. Includes the fans.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 12:39
The 10 yard penalty for backchat also applies in field hockey. It is highly effective. Coupled with giving the Captain a responsibility for the team, I would strongly suggest its adoption in football.

SFFP - The problem with football, as patiently explained to me by my cousin with a Master's degree in this sort of thing (and a long-suffering but now delighted Man City fan), is that the average fan is in favour of the players cheating if it wins them the game and doesn't spoil the experience - to be exact, his team's players cheating. It is not entirely the fault of the authorities. This is why continual diving is unacceptable in the English game, but subtle diving to win a penalty/good free kick is acceptable.

Whilst I aggree with most of what you say I have to disagree with the highlighted bit. The authorities are responsible for everything that goes on on the field of play. They could stop diving overnight. They could stop foul and abusive language overnight. In fact they could totally clean up the game overnight if they wanted to, the fact they choose not to speaks quite loudly.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 12:41
Interesting to note the two posters who jumped to the defence of football against all the elitist snobs on here have not taken a moment to mention that Rio Ferdinand was out of order.

respect is at all levels.

Well, it is in other sports. Includes the fans.

Did I miss something here :confused:

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 13:21
As for Ferdinand clapping the ref, it is difficult to prove it was sarcasm.

I am no real fan of him, or his cousin for that matter but when a player claps, who knows what goes through his mind. May have the clap for all we know.

Lonewolf_50
7th Mar 2013, 13:47
Please don't start throwing out accusations of envy when people denigrate the great god Football. The players in football regularly fake injuries - to the extent that there is even now a specific offence of simulation!

The Italian national team ought to compete in the Olympic Diving competitions, given the amount of practice they have had ... and they aren't alone.

Alloa Akbar
7th Mar 2013, 14:11
taken a moment to mention that Rio Ferdinand was out of order.

Sorry I have been too busy to reply, some of us "unwashed" football fans have multi million pound aerospace companies to run..

To your point Mr Chips, you are indeed correct regarding the conduct of footballers at times.. It is unacceptable, I agree.. And players feigning injury winds me up no end, however football is no different to any other sport, it is simply more in the public eye, and perhaps the outrageous sums of money earned by these players fuels our anger more so than were they a cheating badminton player at the Olympics??

On the subject of Ferdinand, I think he is a hypocritical gobshite, who is always first to play the race card, but glosses over his own failings in that area. Him and Ferguson are simply school bullies who need a damn good kicking by the authorities, however I think it is worth noting that "Football" and "Sport" are now at odds with each other due to money.. A bit like Formula 1 and a bit like Rugby and Cricket are becoming.. Watch this space.

In short, I agree with the sporting conduct arguments and comments, but speaking personally I still smell as fresh as I did when I left the shower this morning.. :=

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 14:32
This certainly gives some validity to the point I have been making

BBC Sport - Man Utd v Real Madrid: Rio Ferdinand avoids Uefa sanctions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21700295)

It's almost impossible to either misconstrue or condone Ferdinand's actions yet despite the very public display no action is going to be taken.

If those at the very top of the game want to clean it up the could but it seems very clear to me they don't want to.

chevvron
7th Mar 2013, 15:06
because for some reason they don't want to wind up Fergie. I don't know why he has such power, but look at referees kowtowing to his wishes eg 6 min extra time when HE wants it, 'waving on' blatant penalties by Man U etc.
As for bullying, John Terry is the expert at that, just look at the number of managers he's managed to get sacked.

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 15:10
Alloa - thank you for a sensible reply. i do however disagree about the conduct in football being more noticed than other sports, I really do believe that it is way more prevalent in football, and sadly permeates to the lower levels due to the exposure.

SFFP - I don't wish to start another circular argument with you, but I noted that you are blaming the authorities for the ills of football, but yoyu haven't (unless I miussed it) condemned Ferdinads actions....so if you don't condemn it, does that not indicate that you too are part of the problem?

Double u anker As for Ferdinand clapping the ref, it is difficult to prove it was sarcasm I assume you are joking? Please say you are....

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 15:15
SFFP - I don't wish to start another circular argument with you, but I noted that you are blaming the authorities for the ills of football, but yoyu haven't (unless I miussed it) condemned Ferdinads actions....so if you don't condemn it, does that not indicate that you too are part of the problem?

Post #33, I even highlighted it for you as you missed it :ok:

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 15:21
Mr Chips

Thank you for gracing my screen with your feedback.

Can you prove it was sacasm? I dont think you can. The authorites cant prove it either, thats why he isnt being charged.

To answer your question. No I am not joking.

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 15:21
Is it acceptable to most sane and rational folk who love to watch the game, probably not I would suggest as the blatant cheating etc etc is disgraceful.

yeah, how did I miss that as a condemnation of Rio Ferdinand's actions.....

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 15:22
yeah, how did I miss that as a condemnation of Rio Ferdinand's actions.....

Probably because you wanted to :ok:

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 15:25
doublu anker...yeah, of course it wasn't sarcastic, he was genuiinely applauding the referee's game...inches from his face. And with attitudes like that from "fans" do you wonder why the rest of the world apparently looks down on football fans?

Ferdinand is an idiot who seems to think he is above the rules/laws whatever

Missed a drugs test
Used racist language on Twitter

This is your public face of the sport you love?

Mr Chips
7th Mar 2013, 15:30
Oh SFFP you don't change do you?

I missed it because it is not a condemnation of Rio Ferdinand's actions. Except in your eyes it will be

It is utterly, utterly pointless attempting to engage in any type of discussion with you, and more fool me for even trying

I'm out of here, I will stick to watching rugby where the players respect the game, the referee and the fans. Where there is no crowd violence, no segregation and we all have a jolly nice time.

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 15:38
No the sport I love, isn't perfect nor are the participants. I like all sport. Sport in schools etc., is very, very important. It teaches the participants to take hard knocks and get up and try again. Life as you know, is full of hard knocks. I am the first to admit some of the famous sports people dont know how to behave. Yes it is only a game but the vast amounts of money involved doesn't help a lot of the players. That's not their fault. Unless we are born into wealth and fame, we are totally unprepared to handle it. In a lot of cases it can be overwhelming.

The high pay doesn't help. Money changes people and very often for the worst.

At least pay P2F hasnt reached the PL yet. They must be doing something right.

Tell you one thing, if I could kick a ball around like them I wouldn't be near aviation. That is no joke.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Mar 2013, 15:47
I'm out of here, I will stick to watching rugby where the players respect the game, the referee and the fans. Where there is no crowd violence, no segregation and we all have a jolly nice time.

I know, I watch Bath a few times each season as its the next station down the line from here :ok:

Alloa Akbar
7th Mar 2013, 16:03
Chips,

I had hoped football would clean up its act after the refreshing (for the most part) sportsmanship on show in London last year, sadly not, and whilst even pro-rata, Rugby, Cricket, Snooker, Tennis (Yes Tennis, remember the Seles stabbing?) and others cannot hold a candle to the nasty smell coming from F1 or Football, they do have their ills. I still argue that money and endless TV coverage has a lot to answer for but will agree to disagree on that.

Some famous cheats for you..

1. Hanse Cronje - Cricket Match fixing
2. Keiron Fallon - Racing fixing
3. Marion Jones - drugs cheat
4. Ben Johnson - drugs cheat
5. Tonya Harding - Skater and dab hand with a baseball bat
6. Flavio Briatore - F1 race fixer
7. Lance Armstrong - Cycling doper
8. Dean Richards - Rugby bloodgate
9. Panama Lewis - Boxing concrete gloves scandal
10. Maradona, Henry, Rivaldo, Stam, Ferdinand, Grobelaar.. Choose your favourite football cheat..

Thinking about it, we regularly hear of doping in cycling, results fixing in snooker, cricket and racing, "team orders" in F1, even Rugby the players act like thugs on the pitch regularly, however they say "Sorry Sir" to the ref and "Sorry old chap" to each other so that's ok, Ice Hockey fighting is part of the game.. are there any sports out there above suspicion and scandal?

Chevron - Oh don't get me going on John Terry, the sooner somebody walks into Stamford Bridge and is allowed to boot Terry, Lampard and Cole out the door, the better the place will be.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Mar 2013, 16:08
Football has been ruined by corrupt authority, arrogant players who cheat at every opportunity and think they're God like when they poke a toe on the end of a cross and those fans who use it to incite and participate in violence.

Fix that then you might have a sport worth playing and watching again.

Alloa Akbar
7th Mar 2013, 16:12
LSM - I will pose you the question directly from my post above, Are anysports really squeaky clean these days? after all whats worse, football fans fighting in the stands or rugby players fighting on the pitch??

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Mar 2013, 16:18
No they aren't (I'm not anti footy but anti the people who have ruined it). But do you ever watch a game of football where there is no diving, remonstrating, overacting, shouty managers etc.?

I'd have thought that thirty hardy fellas having handbags on the pitch is better than putting at risk kids, women and innocents.

mrangryofwarlingham
7th Mar 2013, 18:32
for those that think this referee ruined the game.....

do you remember a certain world cup final between Holland and Spain, when the referee Howard Webb FAILED to deal properly with a dangerous tackle, and after that the game degenerated into a kick fest?

In my view, it was Nani who ruined the game.
Same as in rugby when Alain Rolland gave Sam Warburton a red card...

On this occasion, I agree with Roy Keane.
Ref got it right.

chevvron
7th Mar 2013, 20:02
Alloa Akbar: in 10 you missed out Bale, Drogba and Ronaldo.
I had the pleasure of seeing Drogba get a 'red' once.
Fulham away at Stamford Bridge. Drogba trips over his own feet and slides into the 6 yd box on his knees appealing to the ref for a penalty. Ref turns to him and shows him a yellow card. About 40 min later, Drogba fouls someone and he's off!!

Alloa Akbar
8th Mar 2013, 08:15
Chevron

If we include diving, and feigning injury as cheating, then the list of footballers would fill 3 pages. In the case of Nani, he got sent off for a high foot, and the pundits reckon he was trying to control the ball and hit Madrid on the break.. Hmm given Nani's track record, if he really wanted to win the ball he would have gone in with his head.. But he is a little coward, so just half heartedly stuck his boot in the air so he wouldn't risk getting hurt the poor love.

Lord Spandex - do you ever watch a game of football where there is no diving, remonstrating, overacting, shouty managers etc.? Tis a fair point Sir.. I will advance your point one stage further and offer David Moyes at Everton as another moaner, he actually said publicly this week that Fergie is right and that Managers should be remonstrating with referees.

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Mar 2013, 17:47

Bloody hell Chips, hope this is not the side you watch

BBC Sport - London Welsh: Former team manager banned for life by RFU (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21718042)

No problems in the Rugby world eh :p :p :p

Mr Chips
8th Mar 2013, 21:01
I only watch London Welsh when they are being beaten by my side.

Yes, he did wrong - he has been banned for life
Yes, there was Bloodgate some years ago - manager was banned for three years

Rugby addresses problems and deals with them

Seldomfitforpurpose
8th Mar 2013, 23:16
Rugby addresses problems and deals with them

Exactly the point I was making, I knew with a bit of prompting you would get there eventually :ok: