PDA

View Full Version : Medal award question

P6 Driver
6th Mar 2013, 13:42
This isn't posted in the Mil Aircrew section, as it isn't connected to Mil Aircrew as far as I know.

In the linked photo;
Air Officer Commanding Inspects RAF Fylingdales (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/air-officer-commanding-inspects-raf-fylingdales-05032013)
The Flight Sergeant on the back row is sporting a very impressive medal collection. My eyesight isn't the best but I reckon there are two rows of four, one row of either three or four and the top row of two.

My question, born out of sheer curiosity, is "Has anyone come across a more impressive set in the "modern" era in the British Armed Forces?"

I would make it very clear that I'm not having a pop at the chap, I don't want to know anything about him and I'm not a journalist (before the paranoid conspiracy theorists get to grips with this!). As I say, just curious.

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2013, 13:59
And 'just' a senior NCO - Flight Sergeant or Chief Technician.

Tankertrashnav
6th Mar 2013, 14:28
Times have certainly changed since the days when guys on my squadron would look curiously at my single GSM ribbon and ask where I'd got it. Even the squadron boss didnt have a single medal, although he did sport the emblem for the QCVSA on a bit of blue-grey ribbon.

I'm all for people having medals and this chap has certainly "got some in". I'm ashamed to say I don't recognise the actual medal he has just been presented with - maybe the colour isnt showing up true on my computer - anyone help?

Quite like the Wing Commander but I do wish ladies would wear skirts, which I understand are optional - much smarter.

Btw I think this would go down very well in Military Aircrew - there are always one or two threads on medals running there.

Lightning Mate
6th Mar 2013, 15:08
...he did sport the emblem for the QCVSA on a bit of blue-grey ribbon.

So did I ttn. :)

Neptunus Rex
6th Mar 2013, 15:59
With so many gongs, he must be an American Exchange Master Sergeant.

teeteringhead
6th Mar 2013, 17:22
TTN - shame on you - surely it's the latest (2011) pattern ACSM, the one with 2 central gold bars.

This fellow:

http://www.messdress.com/images/product/main/newacsmfs.jpg

G&T ice n slice
6th Mar 2013, 17:50
emblem for the QCVSA on a bit of blue-grey ribbon

The shopping channel ???:confused:

500N
6th Mar 2013, 17:55
teet

Are you sure ?

Colours don't look similar at all.

Erwin Schroedinger
6th Mar 2013, 18:26
"Has anyone come across a more impressive set in the "modern" era in the British Armed Forces?"

I feel no desire to come across any of them.

Not even the female.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for that sort of thing. :(

teeteringhead
7th Mar 2013, 12:29
500N teet

Are you sure ?

Colours don't look similar at all. deffo the right colours - if you save it and enlarge it the colours become much clearer.

Of course, the picture becomes very blurred when enlarged so in theory it could be the earlier (single gold stripe) ACSM, but I thought they weren't awarded any more?

This is the earlier one:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREkSYzG_h9MEXj75TqnwHXnm_pC7x3ATN7-XLrcUS-gHTNo6T9Mdrsh59j

...really .....must ....get ..... out .... more :ugh:

Tankertrashnav
7th Mar 2013, 14:18
TTN - shame on you - surely it's the latest (2011) pattern ACSM, the one with 2 central gold bars.

Suitably shamed, teeteringhead :O All I can say is that I haven't really kept up with new issues since I gave up my shop 3 years ago. Is it my computer or is that medal gold-plated? I would have thought they would have learned their lesson about gold-plating after the QGJM.

Lightning Mate - pleased to hear about your QCVSA. I always thought that someone turning up in a thirsty F6 when we had a load of fuel to get rid of so we could get down before the bar closed was performing a valuable service - to us at any rate ;)

teeteringhead
7th Mar 2013, 18:08
No, not gold-plated TTN, must be strange lighting or summat.

It's the same pattern as the previous ACSM; while that was accumulated GSM service, my understanding is that this is essentially for OSM service (that's very roughly true, it's a date thing really I think).

Even more strangely IMHO, considering its "worth", the ACSM counts as a Long Service Medal, so is mounted after the Jamboree Medal(s).

TTN: new subject - does your expertise extend to knowing how WW2 medals are claimed? (which were not claimed/awarded at the time).

P6 Driver
7th Mar 2013, 18:17
Teeteringhead,

Try this;

Claiming for campaign medals (http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/claiming.html)

teeteringhead
7th Mar 2013, 18:25
Thanks P6D; I should have been more specific. It's not military.

My late father was a fireman in the London Blitz, and so he was entitled to (at least) the Defence Medal.

Come the day the boss was dishing them out, conversation goes like this:

Boss: Here's yer medal, Fireman Teeters.

FT: So who gets one of these then?

Boss: Everyone gets one!

FT: Not much point in having one then is there. No thanks!

Which was entirely characteristic of Dad. I have copies of his Fire Service records from the very helpful LFB archivist in London, but he didn't know the next step in claiming the medal.