PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Deleted directory on a Server

lomapaseo
6th Mar 2013, 13:25
Fat fingers deleted a dierectory on a file share server using a Filezilla client program

Is there any simple undo feature burried somewhere or is it a major job to do it someway else. I figure that it will take an hour of my time to rebuild from my HD backups. If there is an easier way let me know

Milo Minderbinder
6th Mar 2013, 15:32
what operating system on the server?
Is the server booting at present and do you have console access to it?

the way forward depends on what kind of access you have to the drives, whether they are raided, the operating system, what kind of files......
many server operating systems don't actually delete things until you flush them .... maybe the case here?

lomapaseo
6th Mar 2013, 16:34
Sorry about the confusion in my choice of terms

I called it a share server only that I rent space from Inmotion hosting. No idea on what's at the other end of my internet connection.

Milo Minderbinder
6th Mar 2013, 16:46
check - is there a "trash" folder or similar?
if not, you're going to have to call them and see if they can undelete (unlikely as it will be stored "cloudy" ) or else retrieve from a backup

mixture
6th Mar 2013, 20:35
I figure that it will take an hour of my time to rebuild from my HD backups.

Your backup system doesn't do partial restores ?!? :sad:

lomapaseo
6th Mar 2013, 23:26
Your backup system doesn't do partial restores ?!? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/puppy_dog_eyes.gif

In my system? yes

in the cloud ... no

lomapaseo
6th Mar 2013, 23:32
check - is there a "trash" folder or similar?
if not, you're going to have to call them and see if they can undelete (unlikely as it will be stored "cloudy" ) or else retrieve from a backup

I haven't found one in my transfer client (Filezilla) as i suspect it simply sends a bit command to whatever operates on the server.

Yes, I would expect the server has it's own backups but I don't have access that I know off through my transfer program. Nor a ready 800 phone number to get access to the server last backup.

Mike-Bracknell
7th Mar 2013, 22:18
Right-click the containing folder. Do you have an option to "restore previous version"?

(in which case you have volume shadow copies enabled and you can browse the previous snapshots and restore what was lost).