PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR for Dutch CPL (H)?

Flying Dutchie
23rd Apr 2002, 13:39
Hi everyone,

since march this year I'm the proud owner of a CPL (H). And now I'm trying to find out, how to get my IR. I have a R22, R44 typerating, but in Holland there are no R22 IFR trainers...

Does anyone know a Flight School in the UK which operates with R22 IFR trainers?

I think I can change my dutch CPL into a JAA CPL , since Holland is now also a JAR-FCL country. But I still have to find out what it does with my dutch ATPL (H) theory certificate....

Bye,
Flying Dutchie

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2002, 14:32
Fying Dutchie,

UK CAA does not generally allow IR training in single engined helicopters.

The only exception I know of is that Bristows have an IFR JetRanger, G-?III which I understand, they are allowed to use because of "grandfather rights".

Unfortunately this puts the price of an IR very high.:(

Helinut
23rd Apr 2002, 20:21
Just to agree with the previous post, think very carefully before doing a JAR IR(H) in the UK. JAR FCL 2 requires the approved IR course to include 50 or 55 hours of flight time (can't remember exactly which). Some of this can be simulator but there is some difficulty in getting approval to use a simulator for heles (except of course for the ones that cost more than a small twin)!!. Whatever, it turns out very expensive.

There are very few schools that are approved to do initial IR(H)s in the UK. Apart from Bristows I can only think of one other. If the CAA kept their list up to date (which they do not) you should find all those approved set out on the CAA website www.caa.co.uk in the personnel licensing section.

In your situation I believe that the CAA would not let you do an non-appproved course in the UK. Those UK pilots with existing CPL(H)s or ATPL(H)s have an exemption up until the end of the this year - this means that they only have to do enough flying to pass the IR test.

I think that a number of other European states let singles be used for IFR (France perhaps??)

Off road
24th Apr 2002, 04:51
Hi FD,

You have to write to the dutch caa (section examens en brevetten)to ask them for a conversion from your dutch atpl(h) theory to jar standards.
I did this 4 weeks ago and they told me that I'll get an answer within 8 weeks. I am still waiting.
Safe flying:)

Where have you done your flying training?

Flying Dutchie
24th Apr 2002, 08:15
Thanks for the replies, I guess I still have to do some research here! For Offroad, I did my initial training at Lelykopters at the airport of Lelystad....

If someone has some other great ideas, let me know!

Bye,
FD

RotorHorn
24th Apr 2002, 12:23
There was an IR kitted R22 based at Hawarden near Chester (G-IIFR). Don't know if its still there and/or whether its available for training. Even if it was, would you really want to go into a cloud in an R22? :eek:

My brother did his IR course at Bristows at Norwich in his bosses Agusta, although they do have a jet ranger there to hire.

Off road
26th Apr 2002, 11:45
FD,

If you trained with lelycopters, they should be able to tell you exactly whether it would be possible to obtain an JAA CPL(H) licence with the hours you have got. They would have a copy of the JAA regulations and you should be able to find it under the helicopter section and then licencing.
All the best.