PDA

View Full Version : Aviation topic

Flying Lawyer
5th Mar 2013, 20:44
If you know someone who would like to learn to fly, you might wish to point them in the direction of these threads:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/508957-ppl-courses-free.html

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/508786-guild-air-pilots-2013-gliding-course-scholarship.html

Or to become a Flight Instructor:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/508953-flight-instructor-scholarship-2013-a.html

Or an IR Instructor:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/508698-guild-air-pilots-instrument-rating-instructor-bursary.html

Tudor Owen

Wholigan
5th Mar 2013, 21:16
It would appear that it is not uncommon for a lot of PPRuNers to say each year this comes up:

it's not worth applying because it's very competitive

I have to say that if you don't think that something that is competitive is worth the effort, then you should think about your approach to "life, the universe and everything".

Surely anything that is worth anything is going to involve some competition in order to achieve success?

If you want it, give it a go and show some spirit!

Lon More
6th Mar 2013, 10:20
I won an RAF Flying Scholarship back in the 1960s. If I could do it, anyone could.
There are a number of interesting links here (http://www.flyer.co.uk/scholarships/) on the Flyer website that may be worthwhile chasing up.

DX Wombat
6th Mar 2013, 10:30
I wish I had known about it when I was doing my PPl. I might not have got it but I would have tried.

Davaar
6th Mar 2013, 17:57
If I could do it, anyone could.

Here I disagree, Lon. I see similar generalities in other contexts, and it may be true, but then again it may not.

Everyone may apply, but not all will win. It is unfair to suggest the contrary.

P.S. One can never reach any peak without the first step; but if one hill turns out not to be for any given climber, there are many more hills waiting.

doubleu-anker
7th Mar 2013, 14:50
FL

Thanks for your efforts. Good information compiled.

Firestorm
7th Mar 2013, 17:56
It is very competitive, and the course is quite demanding. Anyone who is awarded one of the scholarships is given about 12 weeks to start and complete the course. You really have to put the time in, but if you are serious about a career in any field of aviation then to be one of the winners of a GAPAN scholarship is a really good thing to have on your CV, and as getting your first job in aviation is really competitive anything that puts you even a little bit ahead of everyone else who has completed an ATPL course and has 250 hours is well worth having, and well worth the few hours effort to complete the application.

And it is about the last opportunity to have someone else (apart from your Dad or your bank) pay for your flying anywhere in our industry at present.

Flying Lawyer
14th Mar 2013, 06:22
Davaar Everyone may apply, but not all will win. It is unfair to suggest the contrary. Lon didn't suggest that all will win.
He suggested, based upon his own experience, that 'anyone could'.

One sure way of not winning is not applying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applications for the scholarships listed above are now closed.

There will be at least one further scholarship this year:

ATPL Ground School Scholarship
This will provide free access to an online study package for someone wishing to obtain an ATPL via the Modular Route.

Closing date for applications will be 24 May 2013.
The Scholarship winner must register to begin training by 1 August 2013.
Training must be completed within 18 months.

I'll post further details when they become available.

FL

Ixixly
14th Mar 2013, 10:47
Wholigan, I disagree, we should all be saying this loud and clear, because the only ones who will listen to you probably aren't the right stuff anywho and saves the judges a lot of hassle!!

Wholigan
14th Mar 2013, 11:06
Eh????????????????????????????????
:confused:

bluecode
17th Mar 2013, 15:28
It's a pity there was nothing like that when I was starting training many years ago. I would certainly have applied...........and failed. Instead I wasted people's time by applying to the military and for airline sponsorships. With the confidence of youth, I just knew I had the right stuff. I didn't but never quite got the message. This is not false modesty merely the benefit of hindsight and acquired wisdom. I didn't have what they wanted.

So it would be with the above schemes. But I would have applied.

I think it's fair to say the first test of any candidate is whether or not they apply. If you think you're not good enough and don't even try. Then you're right. So you must apply even if it is to fail.

But it seems to me that the winners is invariably described as 'exceptional' and how they 'stood out'. It seems to me that the winner would have succeeded anyway and frankly deserved to win. Plus they are invariably modest about it shrugging off the congratulations by declaring anyone could win it. Which isn't true.

In the end I ploughed my own furrow and eventually succeeded in getting my first flying job. Success! I later asked my employer how many others I'd seen off for the position.

'None' he said. :ooh: 'You were the only applicant.'

Says it all really!

Lon More
17th Mar 2013, 16:49
But it seems to me that the winners is invariably described as 'exceptional'

The one quote that I remember from my scholarship was, "After one lousy attempt rain stopped play."

Capot
24th Mar 2013, 14:05
In the end I ploughed my own furrow and eventually succeeded in getting my first flying job. Success! I later asked my employer how many others I'd seen off for the position.

'None' he said. 'You were the only applicant.'So you worked for BAF, then. That dates you. How did it go?

Erwin Schroedinger
24th Mar 2013, 14:26
What percentage of scholarship winners go on to pursue closely related and successful full-time careers?