PDA

View Full Version : 'Single-Pilot' and 'Multi-Pilot' Instrument Ratings

Odai
5th Mar 2013, 15:08
Hello,

I was looking up the costs of maintaining an Instrument Rating on an FTO's site, when I came across the following:

Multi pilot aeroplane privileges do not carry over to single pilot aeroplanes – the holder of both a SPA IR and MPA IR has to revalidate both ratings separately.

Instrument Rating Renewal, Revalidation of IR, MEP | Multiflight (http://www.multiflight.com/flight-training/fixed-wing-courses/intrument-rating-renewals/)

The quote seems to imply that there are separate Instrument Ratings for use on multi pilot and single pilot airplanes.

I can understand the IR awarding privileges that are specific to multi-pilot airplanes and some that are specific to single-pilot airplanes, however I have never heard of nor can I find any information on there actually being two distinct ratings for use in each case.

I'm aware that the IR can be restricted to only single engine types until training on a multi-engine type is completed but this is the first reference I've seen to single-pilot/multi-pilot. Can anyone clarify on this point?

Assuming it's not a mistake and I haven't misunderstood, what rating is it that a typical candidate would undertake at an FTO when working towards an fATPL, with the aim of working in the airlines?

Jwscud
5th Mar 2013, 15:32
You will get a Single Pilot IR SE or ME depending on what you did the skills test in.

You require a valid SPA MEIR to start a multi-crew type rating, and will do your multi-pilot IRT as part of the type rating skills test at the end of your first multi-crew type rating.

mad_jock
5th Mar 2013, 15:33
Multi pilot IR are sometimes called type ratings. The test on them which is called a LPC renews the IR on that type.

The IR required for Single pilot aircraft can be valid for single pilot aircraft classes or types. If you hold it for a multi engined single pilot aircraft it covers you for the single pilot SEP class.

So MPA IR's are only valid on that particular type where as a single pilot IR can cover you across a range of aircraft. It gets a bit funny because some commercial operators operate single pilot aircraft muticrew and issue a MPA IR for a single crew aircraft on the type.

Odai
5th Mar 2013, 18:03
Thanks for the clarification guys.

So am I right in saying the MPA IR isn't technically a distinct rating, but part of the type rating on some multi-pilot types? Or if it is a rating on its own is at least inaccessible to anyone not doing a type rating course for a multi-pilot type?

What do airline pilots for example have entered on their ATPLs? Would the Multi Pilot IR be on there as a separate entry in addition to their type ratings and Single Pilot IR from when they did their initial training for an fATPL?

Either way, I'm assuming I don't have to concern myself with this at this stage, as a person looking to train towards the fATPL and nowhere near getting on to a type rating course for a multi-pilot type or working for the airlines?

mad_jock
5th Mar 2013, 18:23
They get the MPA Type IR entered on there ratings page there is no mention of MPA or SPA. It would be IR/B737-800 which would keep your type "live"

The IR rating on a SPA aircraft is entered as IR-SPA-ME or IR-SPA-SE

With a seperate entry for the class or type as a rating.

If its listed as a MPA aircraft but is actually a SPA aircraft it would be in as IR-MPA-F406 for example.

If its a type SPA aircraft you will get two entries one for the SPA IR and one for the IR on type.

What your aiming for is

CPL with

IR-SPA-ME
SE Piston (some don't have it but if you go Modualar you will have it)
ME Piston

To then go onto a type rating you require a MCC which isn't recorded on your license.

RTN11
5th Mar 2013, 18:37
You need a single pilot IR to get a multi pilot type rating.

Built into this multi pilot type rating is your multi pilot instrument rating.

Once with an airline their OPC/LPC will renew your multi pilot type/instrument rating, but will not renew your single pilot IR as this is a separate rating.

If you then wanted to keep your single pilot instrument rating, you would have to renew this separately on your own time. A multi pilot IR does not give single pilot IR privileges.

Completely separate from this is Multi/Single engine IR. A multi engine IR does contain single engine IR privileges, but not the other way round.

mad_jock
5th Mar 2013, 18:50
You need a single pilot IR to get a multi pilot type

IR-SPA-ME

Just clarify so folk don't think they can get away with a IR-SPA-SE.

The multi engine class rating doesn;t need to be current though.