PDA

View Full Version : Suppose I simply replace a program into a partition . . .

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2013, 04:29
will it run?

I want to clear partition D drive and format it. I then want to use it for dual boot having installed W7 on that partition. If I copy back the folders of programs just as they were, will they run? I accept they will only run on the original OS? if at all.

I wondered if they had to have a precise position on the disc, but for example de-frag moves them, so would the OLD Vista in C drive be able to find them once they'd be shoved off to E drive and then put back?

I will not run from Vista until D has been run. I realize de-frag might well put everything in order as part of its chores.

How this came about: I have a nice Sony Vaio but it's running Vista. I have a legal copy of W7 which is worth more than the PC its on. I got that copy for $20. It was made for an HP laptop but had been running for years on my HP PC. I wanted to put the OS on my laptop, put XP back on the old PC, and then gift the latter to a student or some-such.

However . . . all my plans to upgrade my Sony Vaio PCG 7133 L with bits from my wife's defunct HP have failed. Memory is quite different, and the HD is behind 21 screws.

It was my intention to see if the W7 would run on the Sony by fitting my wife's HD. So far, I can not find out if the wife's HD is compatible with the Sony. The loan drive was to be a Seagate Momentus 5400.4

(designated as an HP 490827 - 001, so not a good start)

Having that OS software sitting unused is tantalizing.

The first (of 2) W7 discs once rejected the old machine it is on, "THIS IS NOT AN HP LAPTOP" it said, but then worked when I failed to put in the the HP installation disk. However, that old PC also happens to be an HP, so it may be recognizing the make. The only way to know is to try.

I had hoped the main installation disc (2) might not care what computer it's going on, but did not want to risk my Vista installation if it's not going to be allowed - hence the interest in dual boot.

MacBoero
5th Mar 2013, 12:50
It sounds as if the copy of Windows 7 is an OEM licensed copy from an HP machine. This will have been 'legally' and probably technically locked to the original machine, and cannot be used on another computer.

This is why OEM licence versions of software are cheaper than full retail copies. They are single use, once you are done with the computer, you throw away those licenses with the computer. Begging to Microsoft over the phone can sometimes get around this, if the reason for the replacement of the computer is through some unavoidable circumstances, like the old one blew up, your house burned down, etc. But they are not obliged to do so.

So if the HP is now a dead machine, then in essence the licenses that came with it are too.

Removing the hard-disk from the HP and putting it in the Sony and expecting it to work is a tad fanciful I'm afraid too. It might do something, but I suspect it will be more problematic than its worth. For a start the disk will be crammed full of drivers and software specific to the HP, that the Sony will baulk at, especially the drivers. If the CPUs are very different, i.e. AMD and Intel, or even different classes of CPU in a single brand, the kernel of the operating system which is set at installation time, is probably not going to work, i.e. you get the famous Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).

Copying software from one disk to the other is also doomed to failure except for the simplest of software. Copying the files does not copy the data from the registry, which instructs Windows on how to use the software, but also you'll probably leave behind some other library files that are put into system folders not directly associated with the the application's folder. This is what installers do, they unpack the applications and put all the bits and pieces where they are supposed to go, and update the registry. They don't simply copy a bunch of files from the installer disk to the hard disk.

Saab Dastard
5th Mar 2013, 15:52
If you install an application under Windows, it will place the actual files wherever you tell it to, and write entries in the registry accordingly.

As long as you do not alter the registry for that instance of the OS, then you can move the actual files anywhere you like and finally copy / move them back to their original location and the application will start correctly.

Obviously you can't expect the application to work until you have restored them to their original location!

By original location I mean a drive with the same drive letter as per the installation. So if you installed them to the G: drive, then a brand new disk as the G: drive will work fine when the files are restored to it. The position on the disk is irrelevant, as is the presence of any other files, including a complete operating system.

Probably the only gotcha is ensuring that file & directory permissions are correct - providing that defaults were left in place then this should be a non-issue.

SD

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2013, 16:34
The original idea was to simply swap my wife's redundant HD to and fro with the Sony original. The former has been formatted and partitioned ready for W7. But that's when I found the 21 screw bulk. Hardly a quick change procedure.

I spent an age last night on sites trying to find out if this spare disc would run in the Sony Vaio NR498E. But the nearest I came was a Sony 498EP Had to draw a line on time I was spending as just finding out what drive was installed in the Sony meant splitting the case.

Also, on the spare drive, HP had stuck their label (451863-001) over the ST number. It looks like ST9200827As Serial AT disc drive. 2.5" obviously.

Using a USB converter it still seems to operate well.

Anyway, my Office 2007 seems to be installed on C drive. So preparing D for W7 seems to be the most logical way forward (if you'll excuse the pun).

The W7 software is a mystery. I tried the install on something else last night, and by bypassing the HP install disc, it set off on its merry way. Only the first stages, and not to say it wouldn't have objected later, but all those years ago, the HP bulk from the No1 disc screamed out almost right away.

It was a licensed copy with 2 disc sold to me by a respectable person, a Reverend lady, and has the Windows sticker on the pack. As mentioned, it has run for years on the PC, updates complete yesterday.

The thing is, it is clearly not tied to one machine. But does it recognize HP per se or is the first disc the only protection it has?

I guess, suck it and see is the only way forward. I've never done a dual-boot on the same physical drive before, so that should be fun.

Mac the Knife
5th Mar 2013, 17:57
By using hardlinks and junctions your actual files can be anywhere.

Junction Link Magic - Junction Link Magic (http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm) - is one of several programs that make this "easy".

As Saab says, you'll also have to make sure all permissions are correct.

Unfortunately not manoevres for a tyro...

Mac

:cool:

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2013, 22:50
Well, it's up and running. But, as always, there's a but . . .

just found out. The Volume and Mute work on the Fn, so it's just the brightness and external monitor control that's an issue.

Darn laptop had my keyboard plugged in when I loaded it and I'm @#$%'d if I can get the Sony Fn key to operate on the PS2 generic driver.

I deleted it and rebooted. Same. Very frustrating. One Sony site showed a vast selections of firmware updates. I picked the model and the subject. I then picked the W7 option. It wasn't long before I was told it was only available for Vista. Oh, my . . . :ugh:

Vista still runs okay and since Office will be a new install, only curiosity will have me putting my old Word Perfect back to see if it runs - a five minute install if it doesn't.

W7 however will be a pain if I can't get the Keyb under control. Screen will have to be adjusted the hard way. Sony keyboard still works correctly with Vista.

(Remember people putting stockings over the first Amstrad PCs cos the brightness wouldn't turn down enough. I modded mine, and then returned it cos it was junk. Someone got the only controllable one in the UK.)

Any tips on regaining my correct keyboard driver would be appreciated.

le Pingouin
6th Mar 2013, 01:52
Underneath Win7 and Vista are very similar architecturally so you can likely use the Vista keyboard driver.
No Windows 7 drivers yet? Try using Vista’s - TechSpot Blog (http://www.techspot.com/blog/354/no-windows-7-drivers-yet-try-using-vistas/)

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2013, 02:36
Back to it after a much needed break for dinner. It hasn't repaired itself.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the above. Trouble is, one of the statements is: get the Sony drivers ready on a stick before installation.:( Never had to do that before.

A Sony site makes the categorical statement that the VGN-NR498E is fully compatible with W7. I have a bad feeling I've messed up by having monitor and keyboard plugged in during the W7 installation. But you'd think it'd be fixable, right?

Vista still fine, and its driver (device manager) shows the same as the duff install. That surprised me. Same as this PC Standard PS2 keyboard.

Kind of at a loss right now.

le Pingouin
6th Mar 2013, 12:46
Possibly the extra functionality is provided by the "Notebook Utilities" software?

Milo Minderbinder
6th Mar 2013, 15:38
there are 32-bit and 64-bit Win7 drivers at
Sony eSupport - VGN-NR498E/S - Support (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNNR498ES&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab)

to make the keyboard extra keys work you need the Vaio Launcher Software, listed there

as for "Never had to do that before".........
you should ALWAYS do that.....

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2013, 00:16
Hi again Milo

I'd already stared at the site for some time, but it doesn't mean a huge amount to me. I'm assuming I'm in no way flashing the BIOS, since the Vista side still works normally.

What is it I'm trying to achieve? I assume Sony is trying to marry a new OS - W7, with its hardware. But I really don't know.

Eventually, I did a downloaded from Notebook Control and Utilities which included Vaio launcher.

I received two files. One being SOATH-44600000-US 36.572 mb

It ran for ages, said it was finished, but made no discernible difference.

The smaller file said it would only run on Vista.

It's odd, because the Fn Vol does move the sound pointer up and down, so some functionality is there. Normally, as I'm sure you know, there is a display of the Fn activity on the screen.

Plugging in the external monitor works, but I have no control of the LT's screen from Fn, but again, I can do it via Control panel.

It's a shame, because I was so pleased to get the dual boot going after all this time.

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2013, 03:56
This seemed to make sense . . .

Sony eSupport - Clean Install Instructions for Windows® 7 (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=507&mdl=VGNNR498E#driver)

. . . until -

The last on the list of 12 items to instal.

Sony Notebook Utilities

Installs the VAIO software component required for Function keys operation.
Note: Even after installing this file, the Brightness, Monitor Output and Zoom Function keys may not work.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 17:10
assuming 64-bit Win7, this is the keyboard driver
Sony eSupport - VGN-NR498E/S - Drivers & Software (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNNR498ES&upd_id=5078&os_group_id=6)

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2013, 19:40
Aaaaagh, so near, yet so far. I'm on a modest 32-bit W7.

Looking frantically to find the 32, but me being a tyro . . .

This bizarre form shows the driver, W7 32 V 64. Every single one shows compatible with both. Who does the thinking in these support sites? So, trying the 64 bit.

SOAOTH-70193336-US.EXE (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-matrix.pl?upd_id=5078)

School run due. Back later.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 20:24
Win7 32-bit at Sony eSupport - VGN-NR498E/S - Drivers & Software (http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNNR498ES&upd_id=5078&os_group_id=5)

It may be the same file - I haven't checked
But the point is all the drivers you need are on the page I originally linked to
Just use the drop down forms and select the correct OS

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2013, 20:44
In the link above, it seems unequivocal, dozens of models with green ticks and not one red cross - it should work.

Sadly, 70193336 runs, but then says it may not have installed correctly.

Yet again, thanks for your help, but I must get back to work any play with it in spare moments.

Trouble is, I revert to my old self when I'm playing - determined to get to the bottom of problems - but with nowhere near the brainpower I once had.:uhoh:

Milo Minderbinder
7th Mar 2013, 21:33
"70193336 runs, but then says it may not have installed correctly"

Yes, Windows 7 does that with just about anything that isn't signed off by Microsoft. The question is, after a reboot do the keys work? Just ignore the error message - its irrelevant

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2013, 22:55
No, 'fraid not. You'd have heard my whoop of joy from the UK if it had.

It's no biggie. I have the abillity to use a big screen and my keyboard, which is all that really matters. It's just that I'd like to beat the problem and indeed not have to access the personalization to do it. Farily rare event - once a day at the most.

Certainly, W7 is an improvement with the 3 mb memory they seem to think is a nice round number. :confused: I was going to put the Rivetess' 4 mb in, but it's totally different.

I've had two Vaios, the first an insurance write-off. It was flown all the way to Brussels and then Sony wanted 1,300 quid to fix it. It had cost, 999. Took me an hour to tidy up corrupted print on the MB. Malicious dammage.

So, it seems one is out on a limb with such machines. The wife's HP finally beat me, despite getting it to go for a brief time. The detail rebuild went well, but the darn thing wouldn't go again. I should have left it taped together.

Juste noticed, despite spell check being ticked in FF, it ain't checkin' me spellin' And I'm soooooo dyslexic.

Dikshunry downloded. Working fine now.:p

Loose rivets
13th Mar 2013, 15:28
Darndest thing! I finally gave in an reloaded Word Perfect from the original disc. I installed it in D drive ready for the Dual boot W7 in D, to make use of it.

I fully expected to have to install it again in C drive, to get Vista's copy working again.

To my astonishment, either boot is making use of one copy. Very desirable space-wise, but how is it doing it, and are there any traps I'm about to fall in?

le Pingouin
13th Mar 2013, 16:39
As far as your Vista installation is concerned the files are where they've always been - in specific folders on the D: drive. You didn't unistall it so provided all the files are found where expected it will happily run.

Provided the Win7 installation puts the files in the same place it's effectively no different to wiping the D: drive and restoring it from a back-up.

Updating the software (a security patch for instance) might cause problems as the file versions may no longer match what's recorded in the registry for the other OS. It may not cause problems or applying the patch in both OSes might fix it.

Milo Minderbinder
13th Mar 2013, 20:22
Rivits
in a nutshell - you're heading for problems
Having one executable accessed by two operating systems is at some point going to go badly wrong. Probably after an update breaks a dependency.

If you want to dual boot, use two separate physical drives, with separate installations that don't overlap. Anything else is a sure way to serious problems in the future

Loose rivets
13th Mar 2013, 22:38
Thanks chaps.

Milo, yes, I feared I might be. I'll removed WP from Vista and reinstall in C drive.

(See the answer to you in t'other thread.)

Loose rivets
14th Mar 2013, 05:19
OMGoodness me! This doesn't matter but . . .

I got rid of everything in C drive that might even smell of WPerfect. I installed said program on C. It had never been on C drive . . . ever.

During the install it told me it was removing all things to do with it being in D. Fine, but I'd never seen that before.

When I ran it in C (under Vista boot.) it seemed fine. For some reason I typed in one of my book's quick-corrects. It worked! As did the other rapid-fire insertions of names etc.

It has NEVER done this before. In fact, when I install WP8 - twenty or more times I'd guess - the one thing that takes time is my quick-corrects. In 15 years, I have never discovered a way to carry them from another installation. Now they're running in a supposedly fresh install. But the copy on D drive under W7, does not do it! I am totally bewildered by this.

Are there any old-timers out there that know which WP file holds the quick-corrects? Bit late I know, but better late than etc.