PDA

View Full Version : The Arts?

tony draper
4th Mar 2013, 14:36
Interesting item on today's Politics program,short film about the Arts Council who dole out not insubstantial amounts of taxpayer cash to the various "Arts"
50% of their budget is spent in London (quell supreez!!) 3% in the West 3% in the East and because we are a more cultured folk 5% in the North East and the rest on administration(jobs for the boys)(and girls)and being it is the arts those who have not made up their minds yet.
The bloke who made the film was of the opinion that as the vast majority of taxpayers dont give a hoot about the "Arts" it is time they were cut loose disinherited and made to sink or swim on their own,ie if you want to go to the opera r the ballet or watch a play stick your hand in your own pocket and bring forth your own bloody coin.
I share his opinion,buggah the arts.
:rolleyes:

Alloa Akbar
4th Mar 2013, 14:43
Same here.. If it was that bloody good, then we'd all happily pay to attend and the fcukers wouldn't need government hand-outs.

Get a real job!

thing
4th Mar 2013, 15:02
Ah but, I share the same opinion of sports funds etc. I'm not the slightest bit interested in sport, why the hell should my money go to teaching some young chav how to kick a bag full of air around?

wings folded
4th Mar 2013, 15:22
why the hell should my money go to teaching some young chav how to kick a bag full of air around?

They teach people how to correct the Home Secretary? I didn't know.

thing
4th Mar 2013, 15:39
Now that I would pay for.

SpringHeeledJack
4th Mar 2013, 16:20
The 'Arts' is one of those things that seems to be relatively immune to the comings and goings of national fiscal health. This, no doubt, in some great part to do with the monied and influential ruling class. I have much respect and admiration for ballet, in that the dancers are dedicated and athletic, but it's an art that is watched and appreciated by very few members of the population. I think it should be sponsored by interested 'patrons' either privately or corporate and that any public money be invested in things that, for better or worse, are appealing to the general tax-paying public.

I was at a large art fair yesterday and some of it was really clever, inspiring, thought-provoking, but there was a lot that, frankly, you had the impression that someone was taking the pi55 and any old crap could/can be considered art. Perhaps that is the point, art is subjective and one man's masterpiece is another's polished turd.

Maybe public money should be minimised and the various arts left to sink or swim on their own merits as Herr Draper said. It ain't over til' the fat lady sings :E

SHJ

G&T ice n slice
4th Mar 2013, 21:38
We at the National Social & Democratic Action Party are currently assembling our proposals for arts funding:

The main points we have identified to date
Publicly funded art should follow certain guidelines

Should fall within a style of Romantic realism based on classical models. Funding will not be provided for "modern" styles as these can only be considered degenerate.

Paintings and sculptures should conform to a traditional manner and should exalt the the values of the link between the British race and its country and history, expecially raising awareness of military history. Should emphasise traditional British virtues of love of the homeland, the manly virtues of physical work, and the lauding of the female activities of child bearing and raising.

Music should be tonal; degenerate, lewd or primitive types of music are to be suppressed.

Film, theatre and similar arts should accurately reflect the triumphs of the British people and of the will of the leaders.

We are still working on this section, but have already identified a large number of degenerate works that will removed from general availability.

Slasher
5th Mar 2013, 09:31
I'm into The Arts - but not the kind of artsy-fartsy poofy arts that get a swag of
government funding. :E

If it did I'd give up my day job and and change my name to Slasher B. DeMille.

MagnusP
5th Mar 2013, 09:39
NONONONO, Slash. It has to be b. De Slasher Mille, or BDSM for short.

Slasher
5th Mar 2013, 09:45
Magnus - ;) :D

Mac the Knife
5th Mar 2013, 10:29
Nice one G&T!

Mac

:E

DoobyDoo
5th Mar 2013, 11:15
It can get me upset, too, but I believe we should remember (or even learn in the first place) that "useless" stuff like art funding or even social security are not the real heavy spendings. Some will even return to local economy almost instantly.

The tax income of European states has risen significantly over the past 20 years, and none of the "love to hate them" easy targets has been expanded nearly as much, in fact rather shortened. I think the real bad figures are gurgling down completely different pipes.

AlpineSkier
5th Mar 2013, 11:45
useless" stuff like art funding or even social security are not the real heavy spendings. Some will even return to local economy almost instantly.

I don't know if you were referring to the UK or not, but you really must be joking or terribly mis-informed when you say that about social security.

Social welfare ( (income support, unemployment benefits) is budgeted at £117bn for 2013 out of a total of £683bn which is approx 17% of total.

You obviously think bigger than me : please tell us what you think is [B]real heavy spending[/B

What does the Government Spend its Money on? - Economics Blog (http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/142/economics/what-does-the-government-spend-its-money-on/)

Impress to inflate
5th Mar 2013, 12:06
I'm with you drapes, make it pay for it's self.

The gov can lend the arts some cash to get a project off the ground BUT it then it has to pay it back in an agreed time frame. If it fails to pay it back then the organisation borrowing the funds is black listed for LIFE, seems fair. That way it puts an onus on the organisation to make sure it's a winner and not some ultra minority sort of sh&t like underwater basket weaving set in an Eastern European ghetto in 1903 to the theme of Columbian throat warbling

ITI

Lukeafb1
5th Mar 2013, 12:21
I know she isn't British, but I listened to a programme on Radio 4 yesterday afternoon about Gertrude Stein (someone who purported to be a 'poet' and 'author' or something). Parts of a few of her poems were read out. I have never in my entire life heard such complete and utter crap masquerading as 'Art'. And as for the pillock who narrated the programme.....a straight jacket and pre-frontal Lobotomy seems the best course of action for him! Not one of his drivelling guests admitted that they understood a word which she had written. I looked 'her' up on the web, when I got home. Er....I think that she/he/it must have been one of Drapes 'don't know yet' brigade. :mad::mad::mad:

DX Wombat
5th Mar 2013, 14:10
This is one piece of modern art which I quite like:

http://www.posterspoint.com/laminas/pg/p/PP-684.jpg

This leaves me wondering what the artist had been consuming prior to executing the work:

http://blindgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/woman-face-picasso.jpg

Some popular modern art which sells well:

http://www.whorange.net/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/24/maesa_elephant_art_2.jpg

One of the artists at work:

http://hipsterjew.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/elephant-painting-550.jpeg

vulcanised
5th Mar 2013, 14:16
Who can forget the arts programme with a kick in it?

A Kick in the Arts.

Coat, easel, pallette...........

G&T ice n slice
5th Mar 2013, 14:23
Sorry, I missed out in the National Social & Democratic Action Party "arts funding" in the subheading "Music"

Should also show:

Contemporary composers shall be encouraged to produce works which can be played using simple portable musical instruments, having a good firm metronome time of 120 to the minute, having a memorable tune.

Where possible an appropriate libretto should be provided. Appropriate in this instance indicates that the libretto should highlight a positive and memorable British achievement and should incorporate a rousing chorus.

DX Wombat
5th Mar 2013, 14:47
Appropriate in this instance indicates that the libretto should highlight a positive and memorable British achievement and should incorporate a rousing chorusLike this? :E

Irish Rovers-Drunken Sailor - YouTube

Mr Chips
5th Mar 2013, 15:09
G&T I was with you until you banned degenerate stuff. Lost my vote. probably Slasher's too.

Naked ladies is art.

:E

tony draper
5th Mar 2013, 15:09
We had a teacher(Mr Masterman of fond memory) who was keen on folk music sea shanties and such who would have the whole class bellowing out this song but with the proper lyrics,the opening line was not (A big Black Sailor With the Sea Boots On)
Oft imagine what today's school inspectorate would make of the words (A Big Buck Nigger with the sea boots) on,voiced by forty ragged trousered urchins echoing along the corridor.
Kimber's Men - Johnny come down to Hilo - YouTube

G&T ice n slice
5th Mar 2013, 15:55
G&T I was with you until you banned degenerate stuff. Lost my vote. probably Slasher's too.

Naked ladies is art.

Oh, Naked ladies are permitted.

Obviously we at the NS & DAP will have to refine our definitions a little.

regarding the "Drunken Sailor" .... this is possibly suitable for the "below decks" chaps.

Mac the Knife
5th Mar 2013, 18:23
Alas G&T, I fear your little sally seems to have gone over the heads of matelot Draper and his chums. Too bad.

Mind you, Tracey Emin's "My Bed" does make you wonder...

"A Boston newspaper reporter went and took a look at the Slave Ship floundering about in that fierce conflagration of reds and yellows, and said it reminded him of a tortoise-shell cat having a fit in a platter of tomatoes. In my then uneducated state, that went home to my non-cultivation, and I thought here is a man with an unobstructed eye."

Mark Twain on Turner's "Slave Ship" formally "Slavers Throwing overboard the Dead and Dying—Typhoon coming on"

Just goes to show how wrong one can be, but what do you expect from a Missouri mule...?

Mac

:cool:

tony draper
5th Mar 2013, 19:20
It did not go over the heads of we oinks,:= one can agree with Adolf's opinion on modern art without adopting the rest of his philosophy.:rolleyes:
PS,in the proper Navy we did not live below decks we lived forard int focsul head.

G&T ice n slice
5th Mar 2013, 20:49
Forgive me Lord High Admiral, as you have guessed I am just being a tad naughty..

It's amazing just how sensible it all sounds when you dress it up in rather dull language. Hence the reason I've had to develop the "National Social & Democratic Action Party" catch-all to give people a clue ... (indeed, rather more people than you could imagine on this and various other forums)

Hydromet
5th Mar 2013, 21:16
I'm into The Arts - but not the kind of artsy-fartsy poofy arts that get a swag of
government funding.
Slasher, I thought you were into ballerinas?

Mac the Knife
6th Mar 2013, 03:38
Tony, if you really want the clumsy, vapid, leering, third rate Romantic realism stuff that the NSDAP approved of then you're welcome.

Perhaps you'd like to start a Reichskulturkammer of your own?

Give me the "entartete Kunst" anyday.

Mac

:suspect:

PLovett
6th Mar 2013, 05:06
G&T ice n slice

Do I detect a faint whiff of the germanic 1930s' there? :hmm:

Damn......beaten to it. Must read page 2 before posting. :ugh:

Slasher
6th Mar 2013, 05:47
Slasher, I thought you were into ballerinas?

Nope. None of 'em have large breasts Hydro.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4gNvWGaty0-OR9JEasAfrsFaZuszqWFoi421BBbVkb_-KXsHJ

But If it ever becomes fashionable for ballerinas to look like this...

http://www.feministezine.com/feminist/fashion/images/Large-Round-Breasts.jpg

...I'll then go to every Swan Lake, Nutcracker Suite and Coppelia
concert on the planet! :E

G&T ice n slice
6th Mar 2013, 07:52
hmmmm...

methinks there could be an ergonomics issue if balerinas had well developed upper body parts, centripetal forces and all that...

tony draper
6th Mar 2013, 07:56
One suspects the chaps she dances with are more into bums.:rolleyes:

stuckgear
6th Mar 2013, 09:23
http://s3.amazonaws.com/wbstaticfiles/users/2645/113718_folkestone-young-british-artists-private-eye.jpg

Tankertrashnav
6th Mar 2013, 10:05
Just been listening to Germaine Greer talking about this whole subject on Radio 3 this morning where she is guest of the week. She wouldnt agree with many of the views on here, describes Tracey Emin as a great artist and admired her "bed" creation. On the other hand she picked out a piece from Tristan and Isolde as one of her music choices, so her taste can't be all bad!

And as for the pillock who narrated the programme.....a straight jacket and pre-frontal Lobotomy seems the best course of action for him!

By the way Lukeafb1 the presenter on the programme about Gertrude Stein was Ian MacMillan, a very down to earth chap who writes straightforward accessible poetry, including stuff for children.
Ian McMillan (poet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McMillan_(poet))
I can't make head nor tail of Gertrude Stein either, but the same applies to my understanding of most areas of advanced maths and physics but I see no reason to disparage those who do.

Slasher
6th Mar 2013, 15:20
methinks there could be an ergonomics issue

Its the pervonomics consideration I had in mind.....

...Think about it - ballerina blokes tossing and throwing large-breasted
ballerinas with all them boobs bouncing and flopping all over the stage.

Who wouldn't want to go to one of those concerts? :}

Mac the Knife
6th Mar 2013, 15:39
"But If it ever becomes fashionable for ballerinas to look like this..."

Then I'll fix it for 'em!

One way or another........................

Mac

:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Mar 2013, 19:00
Hope you know how to do surgery on yourself then, Mr Mac. You'll need to change how you look and go into hiding. Thousands of angry men will be hunting for you with murder in their hearts, should you tamper with such a thing of beauty.:}

Lonewolf_50
6th Mar 2013, 20:59
Any maritime nation (Canada, Britain, US of A, etc) that does not promote maritime music are shooting themselves in the cultural foot.

Sea Shanties are a glorious art form. The dancing during the "Drunken Sailor" performance was not artsy so much as fartsy.

Johnny come down the Hilo is fun to sing when working in the back yard.

Her dress was red
Her shoes the same
But she always fell asleep
Before I came
When Johnny comes down the Hilo
Poor Old Man!

Slasher's got the right idea about ballet.

MagnusP
7th Mar 2013, 07:22
I haven't looked (honest!) but there's probably a naked ballet website somewhere, in the same vein as naked tennis, naked gymnasts &c.

11Fan
7th Mar 2013, 15:33
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm107/APC11Fan/Scan-1.jpg