PDA

View Full Version : Hip Replacement Question

Wyler
4th Mar 2013, 11:05
I have just had a full right hip replacement and am back to work very shortly. To speed up the process I have been cleared to go back into the pool. Now, before and after swimming I like to go into the steam room. Can I still do that with a hip full of metal? The nurses/ physios I asked were unable to tell me and I don't see my surgeon for another 3 weeks.

Takeoff53
4th Mar 2013, 15:54
When I got mine (both replaced within 6 days) as soon I could go into the pool, I was allowed to go into the steam. The surgical staples may get a bit warm;)
To get a letter from the doctor will not help at all. Today I leave my implant pass (looks like a credit card) at home when I go for work or traveling. You will be searched anyway:ok:

homonculus
4th Mar 2013, 17:58
The steam room is fine once the scar has healed. Heat and moisture have no effect

I presume your prosthesis is made of non ferrous metal and so may not even worry a metal detector. If it does, threatening to show them your scar in public will normally suffice.

Millions of people have these prostheses - you are not alone!!!

gingernut
4th Mar 2013, 19:08
Your prosthesis is constantly surrounded by H20 so the steam room should be fine.

Exercise caution around piped music in the steam room. Boogie, swing, popular music is okay. Avoid hip hop.

Wyler
5th Mar 2013, 07:38
Many thanks. Getting my swimming trunks out today!!!!