View Full Version : This evening at LHR...

dns
3rd Mar 2013, 21:58
Hi chaps,

Just wondered if anyone could shed light on what's going on at LHR tonight.

About 10 shorthaul BA flights have diverted to other London airports (LTN, STN and LGW) but I can't find any reason for it online.

The weather is fine...

SplashDown
3rd Mar 2013, 22:37
According to London control there was a police helicopter on short finals for 09. Neither runway available for landings.

4 or 5 ended up in Luton.

dns
3rd Mar 2013, 22:48
Cheers,

Just heard that it was a police incident and the helicopter was causing problems.

About 10 aircraft diverted from what I can tell, mostly BA, but also a LOT from Warsaw among others.

tommoutrie
3rd Mar 2013, 22:56
how many from Warsaw exactly... :E

SetStandard
3rd Mar 2013, 23:57
I know of 3 into LGW and a few into LTN. Not too sure what was going on in Colnbrook that the police helicopter was dealing with. Heathrow and Gatwick ATC, as always, were fantastic, thanks for your help. :)

Capn Bloggs
4th Mar 2013, 00:16
how many from Warsaw exactly...
Very good! :D

flyin_phil
4th Mar 2013, 00:37
I saw 2 BA A319's in LTN when I arrived but they were gone when I walked to crew room so the others must of already gone

Captain Windsock
4th Mar 2013, 02:39
I remember a few years ago, when I was still involved, a police helicopter wanted to operate in a similar position. Under intense interegation the police had to admit they wanted to follow a lorry which contained some stoled tractors! Needless to say they were refused clearance despite their given priority.

I guess if its a life and death matter or national security issue these flights are ok but sometimes I do wonder.

DaveReidUK
4th Mar 2013, 07:17
Thames Valley Police helicopter was assisting in the search for a missing 12-year-old Colnbrook girl, now found safe and well.

Thames Valley Police - News - Missing girl found - Colnbrook (http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/newsevents/newsevents-pressreleases/newsevents-pressreleases-item.htm?id=246963)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Mar 2013, 07:18
I can't see how a helicopter could cause such problems, unless it was flying back and forth across both thresholds....?

airsmiles
4th Mar 2013, 08:14
IMHO I think the Police over use their helicopters. I regularly see local press reports of quite minor offenses being pursued or 'assisted' by the Police Helicopter. Surely, they're there for the truly life-saving accidents, major disasters or similar and not chasing stolen cars & equipment?

10/10 to our ATC though. I did a replay on FR24 of the LHR situation last night and I'm glad we have such true professionals controlling our skies! Trying to re-direct everything from the approach into the holds must have been quite a task.

Hotel Tango
4th Mar 2013, 08:55
HD, since it was searching for a child, I imagine the helicopter wasn't just hovering in one place but needed to be able to manouvre unrestricted. Are you suggesting that your ex colleagues didn't know what they were doing?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Mar 2013, 09:29
HT.. Not at all. I guess it was a Cat A flight so there may not have been much they could do.