PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus - safety record and commitment?

AvroFlyer
3rd Mar 2013, 16:38
Can I feel safe flying with Pegasus? I have read some questionable material regarding Turkish Airways, how are things over at Pegasus?

fa2fi
3rd Mar 2013, 19:35
Very good as far as I know. They've been going for years flew them back in1997. Don't have any official facts about them but I've not heard anything bad about them.

Hotel Tango
4th Mar 2013, 09:04
They've been operating since 1990 and Aer Lingus was initially involved. From the beginning their operating standards were a great deal higher than many of the other Turkish operators around.

edi_local
4th Mar 2013, 09:26
I flew with them PRN-SAW a few months ago. An older 737-400 was used, it was a bit tired looking inside, but had comfortable seats and everything was on time. The crew were friendly and professional and the pilot even came on and gave us updates on the journey every so often. The on board cafe is reasonably priced. They are the same as most other low cost carriers, really.

Hotel Tango
4th Mar 2013, 10:30
It should be mentioned that they only have two 400s in operation now. The remainder of the fleet (39 at the last count) are 800s including a number of recent deliveries.

AvroFlyer
4th Mar 2013, 11:25
Seriosly, the cabin can be in bad shape, I don't care. I'm talking about safety. How are crew members working, do they follow SOP's? Is the captain God in the company unofficial way of working or does he/she(?) encourage CRM? Are all maintenance actions written in the tech log etc...

rutankrd
4th Mar 2013, 11:57
If they weren't they would be excluded from the EU.

Only one incident has occurred on a PC flight and that involved a Izair A319 with a hydraulic nose gear lock up 90º off line.

They operate their own fully licensed and independently audited Maintenance and training programmes.

As for flight hours as an LCC they will certainly be operating close to the margins however do many very well know EU carriers.

harriewillem
4th Mar 2013, 15:05
Hi AvroFlyer

I flew with these guys many times, lets say it was sort of shuttle.

excellent operator, only thing was... chicken or beef... :)

We had a fuel stop down the way and had the question on both sectors.... :)

Food was ok by the way... but the company joke was... who are you flying.. Chiken or beef....

I presume they operate your holiday flight, as mentioned, good operator, leg room... if you are over 1M90.. it's thight :)

AvroFlyer
4th Mar 2013, 18:19
So you believe that as long as an operator has a European AOC, then everything is in order, the SOP is always adhered to and the company culture is safe? No offense, but that is very naive.

I want to know from someone on the inside, how is the culture in the company, the reporting habits (some companys have very few reports of incidents - does it mean they have few incitents or few reports? Probably the latter one), do captains allow the FO into the "sphere" or is it a one man show, which is not very uncommon the more south you go, etc...

Do you think the accicent that happened to Turkish Airways in AMS would happen to any operator? I'm sorry to say, but I doubt it.

Hotel Tango
4th Mar 2013, 19:59
AvroFlyer, you are getting annoying now. You're obviously the type who won't be satisfied with any reply or you have some other agenda. Pegasus was set up according to Aer Lingus standards. Is that good enough for you?

de facto
5th Mar 2013, 05:25
Seriosly, the cabin can be in bad shape, I don't care. I'm talking about safety. How are crew members working, do they follow SOP's? Is the captain God in the company unofficial way of working or does he/she(?) encourage CRM? Are

Avro,
A good opening view on your CRM skills..

Phileas Fogg
5th Mar 2013, 08:52
AvroFlyer,

If, for one minute, you believe that every airline in every country operates to the letter of the law ... then you best start taking the bus ... of course ensuring that the tyres are inflated to the correct pressures, that the engine oil level is correct, that exhaust emissions are within prescribed limits and the driver is not fatigued and without an over-inflated ego etc. before you pay for your ticket.

AvroFlyer
5th Mar 2013, 14:34
Don't get me wrong, I just don't agree when I get the answer that the airline is safe since it is allowed to operate within the EU. It is just not as simple as that (not saying that it is not safe, just generally speaking).

I do know about the safety conercerns that were recently risen regarding Turkish airways by pilots and my question regarding Pegasus is mainly due to these rumours going around about Turkish and I was hoping that someone could give me some more information about operating procedures, crew composition etc, launguage skills etc, but maybe that's too much to ask in a public forum like this. I do not have a hidden agenda.

AvroFlyer
5th Mar 2013, 14:51
DeFacto, I noticed that you fly the 737. Surely you must know what I mean when I ask if the SOP is adhered to? Hopefully it serves as more than a paper product.

Also you should know what my question was referreing to regarding leadership, but you can choose to read it the way you did.