PDA

View Full Version : CPL or ATPL ???

Trislander
23rd Apr 2002, 08:49
Hi Guys,

I am confused as to which licence I should be working towards.
My Situation: PPL, heading for pilot career in airlines or Executive air travel. These questions are regarding the ground theory exams only, not flight training.
->If you do ATPL ground exams, does that mean that you are exempt from doing the CPL ground exams?
->If you have to have an ATPL to work in the airlines anyway, why do so many pilots heading towards career in the airlines go for the CPL?
->Isn't the CPL just for pilots who wish to earn a living from flight instruction, Air taxi, etc?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards Tri

Dutchie
23rd Apr 2002, 08:54
When gaining the ATPL theory but having insufficient hours (<1500) you will get a CPL with a frozen ATPL. This allows yoy to fly Right Hand Seat in commercial aircraft. After gaining sufficient hours your ATPL will be unfrozen and allows you to be Captain on a multi crew aircraft.

The CPL theory is slightly lighter than the ATPL theory but it would be a waste to go for the CPL theory and then the ATPL theory. So the answer is simple: get 100 hours and go for the ATPL written!

Good luck

captainbirdseye
23rd Apr 2002, 16:47
Dutchie

Why "get 100 hours and go for the ATPL written!" ?

All you need is an ICAO PPL, not necessarily with 100 hours.

But yes I agree no point in CPL exams do the ATPL's.

CBE

OneMileHigh
24th Apr 2002, 00:02
Dutchie,

I think you forgot to mention something about an IR for the frozen ATPL, which is not required by pilots going for the CPL

wysiwyg
24th Apr 2002, 08:14
No but if you want to fly for the airlines you have to accompany the CPL with an IR to be able to call it a frozen ATPL (assuming all ground exams are passed).