PDA

View Full Version : Odd VDU problem

None of the above
2nd Mar 2013, 13:04
I have a Dell 2408WFP screen that, with the exception of slight fringing at times, is pretty good. However, text has recently become often indistinct, with characters appearing 'broken' for want of a better term.
If it is a link that is indistinct, hovering the cursor over it renders the text perfectly legible. Equally puzzling is that highlighting text has the same improving result. I have the most recent drivers for both the screen and the graphics card and I've been through the Cleartype process, but the problem persists. It isn't restricted to a particular area of the display as scrolling up or down does not make any difference.

I realise that my sight is perhaps not as good as it once was, but it seems to be a tech problem rather than the Mk 1 eyeball or the products of a well known chain of opticians.

Any thoughts, Gentlemen please? Ta:ok:

N o t a

le Pingouin
2nd Mar 2013, 13:55
What resolution are you running it at? 1920x1600 or something less?

None of the above
2nd Mar 2013, 14:00
What resolution are you running it at? 1920 x1600 or something less? 1920 x 1200

Will have a quick delve in the innards to see if any improvement possible.
Off the top of my head, I think that 1920 x 1200 is the highest.

N o t a

ETA Just had a delve and find that 1920 x 1200 is the max resolution.

green granite
2nd Mar 2013, 14:05
Native resolution is 1920*1200 for that monitor.

Check your brightness and contrast, I run my 2408WFP with it's brightness at 18 and it's contrast at 50.

None of the above
2nd Mar 2013, 14:15
GG your post and my edit crossed.

I was running brightness at twenty and contrast at fifty and have just altered my settings to match yours. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

green granite
2nd Mar 2013, 14:22
You obviously had already reduced it from the default factory setting which is around 40 for the brightness, thought I'd check just in case. :ok:

Do you run you text at 125%? I find it does make it much more legible.

None of the above
2nd Mar 2013, 17:57
Gentlemen,

Having had a flash of inspiration (mock ye not) I tried using Internet Explorer instead of my usual browser, Firefox 19.0. It seems, unless the law of sod has struck, that the problem is something to do with the browser as IE renders text perfectly legible. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert in these matters so I might well be wrong. However, I can only speak as I find, and conclude that it is a problem with Firefox.

I composed the first part of this post on FF which was difficult to read, then did a copy and paste having logged in to the site on IE. Result: text perfectly legible.

Possibly one for the 'Strange but True' column.

Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to respond.

N o t a:ok:

green granite
2nd Mar 2013, 18:01
Thanks for the update

I given up on FF and switched to pale moon.

None of the above
3rd Mar 2013, 05:35
Just to tie up the loose ends, I found this:

Some folks are experiencing blurry font with the new FX 17. Basically, FX 17 isn't recognizing their "Clear Type" setting. https://bugzilla.moz...g.cgi?id=814101

Mozilla fixed it right away so that future versions will be fine. But in the meantime, you can use this manual fix:

Enter about:config into a Firefox address bar.
As always, click through the warning message.
Type gfx.content.azure.enabled into the search box at the top of the page.
Double-click the entry to change it from True to False.
Restart Firefox

Update: 17.0.1 released today (November 30th) to address this bug. Seems to work in FF 19.0 as well.

Topic here: Firefox 17 Blurry Font Bug - 17.0.1 Released - PC & Technology Help - Community-Feedback (http://www.community-feedback.com/topic/27686-firefox-17-blurry-font-bug-1701-released/)

le Pingouin
3rd Mar 2013, 12:22
Oops, 1920x1200 was what it was meant to be. That's what I get from typing not pasting :( Nice that you've worked it out.