PDA

View Full Version : Three More -8F's

I'mbatman
1st Mar 2013, 19:23
Although a net reduction in eventual airframes for now.

Cx'd 8xB777-200F's
Trading in 4xBCF's
Getting 3x-8F's
Options on 5xB777-200F's

I guess a good way to help capacity for now whilst getting Boeing to take our old clunkers.

Hopefully things pick up and we can begin expanding the fleet again.

buggaluggs
2nd Mar 2013, 00:26
Hmmm, looks like rumors were true.....

The Transaction and the related transactions described in the previous paragraph are part of a package of transactions between Boeing Company and:
(a) Air China Cargo (in which the Company owns a 25% equity interest and a 24% economic interest aggregating 49%), under which Air China Cargo will purchase 8 Boeing 777-200F Freighters and will sell 7 Boeing 747-400 converted freighters; and
(b) Air China (in which the Company owns a 19.28% equity interest), under which Air China will purchase certain other aircraft.

So, we get 3 -8F's, and Air China Cargo takes our 777F's ( because they can fly them cheaper than we can )and " certain other aircraft " , and everyone gets rid of their BCF's.

Doe's make me wonder if these 3 new -8's are really a new deal, or just firming up some of the options we already had? I read there are a few 'white tails' on the production line now, and given the short delivery time I'd wager we picked up a good deal on a couple of these!

Bring on the -8I !!

etopsmonkey
2nd Mar 2013, 03:02
777-200F were originally planned for Europe use, while 747-8F were for N.America use. Does this mean, in the future, Europe freighter routes will be handled by ACC, and CX will handle N.America?

SMOC
2nd Mar 2013, 04:13
Doe's make me wonder if these 3 new -8's are really a new deal or just firming up some of the options we already had? I read there are a few 'white tails' on the production line now, and given the short delivery time I'd wager we picked up a good deal on a couple of these!

The three birds were Air China Cargo's and were in the Boeing delivery schedule coming down the line, their customer code was changed to CX a month or so ago, certainly not white tails and should be the latest spec when they are delivered.

L/N 1483 - 747-867F, RC561 (former RC631), Cathay Pacific #11
L/N 1484 - 747-867F, RC562 (former RC632), Cathay Pacific #12
L/N 1486 - 747-867F, RC563 (former RC633), Cathay Pacific #13

cxorcist
2nd Mar 2013, 07:09
Few thoughts...

Yes, the rumors were true, much like most you hear in CX over and over that seem to make sense.

It makes sense because the cargo market has been down for some time now and the last thing CX needs is a huge investment in 8 777Fs.

ACC does need them because the -400BCFs are killing the JV during this prolonged, down cargo market. Their loads factors have been quite weak. Therefore, the 777F's smaller size makes sense for them.

Despite the weakness, CX has been able to keep load factors to NAM quite high by canceling and consolidating flights. The -8F is great for this because it can carry 130T across the pond if required.

This buy takes the -8 fleet to 13. Clearly, CX likes the performance. Accordingly, I think this brings us one step closer to a -8I order. There is confirmation that the airplane is appreciated, perhaps even more so than the 777F would be.

The fact that CX can get -8Is by next year, or even the end of this year, makes it attractive vs the A380 with longer wait times. This could help CX get more aggressive retiring -400s, which they seem keen to do.

spannersatcx
2nd Mar 2013, 08:11
777-200F were originally planned for Europe use, while 747-8F were for N.America use. Does this mean, in the future, Europe freighter routes will be handled by ACC, and CX will handle N.America?

first part correct, second part no, -8F are planned to Europe in March!

SMOC
2nd Mar 2013, 08:29
They are dumping the RR 400s quicker than I thought, to take 3 out of service over 2 days is a decent effort, perhaps they will be dumped as quick as the pax classics left the fleet.

BusyB
2nd Mar 2013, 18:44
Strangely enough one US carrier had a brand new BCF conversion delivered in the second half of last year.:confused:

cxorcist
2nd Mar 2013, 19:09
BB,

Cheap BCF purchase price makes sense for a charter (ACMI) operator that will have a low utilization rate. For scheduled carriers like CX with high utilization, the fuel and maintenance costs become a driving factor behind purchases, therefore newer aircraft make more sense.

BusyB
3rd Mar 2013, 11:29
cxorcist,

Thanks for the explanation. It just seemed odd as it was an expensive one done in SIN:O