PDA

View Full Version : Catching up...

airship
1st Mar 2013, 16:18
Over the past 2-3 years, I've found myself trying to "catch-up" with former colleagues, friends etc. This usually happens on a Friday afternoon. Using the www almost exclusively.

I almost completely gave up about 2 1/2 years ago. Having spoken directly with the widow of a much-respected (ex. RAF) work colleague in civvies. And the sister of another. Admittedly, they were between 15-20 years older than I, but even so.

I renewed my efforts about 6 months ago. Ended up on the phone to a very charming grandma (who missed her children / grand-children) but who shared the same surname and lived in the same locality as the person I was looking for. After almost an hour talking to this charming, cheerful (if a little lonely) lady in Chichester, I was none the wiser.

However, this very afternoon, I was able to speak with one of my ex. drinking buddies at some length after 28 years. Back when we were both in our early miserable 20s in search of pussy at the Nag's Head, we would encourage and support each other to maintain hope of eventual succour. Today, I learned that he has a 21 year old daughter (but now divorced). Upgraded his 14ft speedboat which sank prematurely and very early on (most fortunetly) during the intended channel-crossing in the Solent 30 years or so ago, for a 25ft. Sunseeker today. And no longer sells 2nd hand cars for a livelihood...?! :ok:

We did exchange phone numbers, promising to call if ever one was in the other's neighbourhoods as it were. But we probably won't: I was twenty-one years when I wrote this song
I’m twenty-two now, but I won’t be for long
Time hurries on
And the leaves that are green turn to brown
And they whither with the wind
And they crumble in your hand :{

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 16:28
airship wrote:

Today, I learned that he has a 21 year old daughter (but now divorced)And therein lies your reason for visiting your long-lost mate!!!!

pussy of the Nagging Head

how dare you speak of my wife like that. Shame on you. :}:}:}

airship
1st Mar 2013, 17:41
Don't have the foggiest notion of what rgbrock1 is rattling on about...

But have since found the song pertaining to the lyrics I wrote about:

Leaves That Are Green - Simon and Garfunkel - YouTube

1967?! I was 7 years old. I don't recall ever wondering about leaves. Climbing up into the rambutan trees and gorging myself on their fruits, yes. With nary a thought of what might pass over the forthcoming decades.

RJM
1st Mar 2013, 17:50
With nary a thought of what might pass over the forthcoming decades.

Those fruits have been known to cause quite serious constipation... :uhoh:

Slasher
1st Mar 2013, 17:52
Head of the Nagging pussy

That's who I have to deal with rgb! ;)

RJM
1st Mar 2013, 17:55
Nagging of the Head Pussy

which ladies working in brothels put up with...

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 18:00
Yes but there are those of us - men - who are lucky and have to deal with:

pussy nagging of the head

airship
1st Mar 2013, 18:31
We're soon to witness someone being a man apparently: Yes but there are those of us - men...

So far as I'm concerned, it's been a long week? I'm going to bed. Leaving all the real men and their appendages (real or imagined) to take over this thread...

Slasher
1st Mar 2013, 18:34
The head pussy of nagging

Well....goodnight Mr Airship! :}

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 18:35
Slasher:

:ok::ok::ok:

toffeez
1st Mar 2013, 19:10
Appreciate the past, but you've all moved on. This is not the time of life to lie.
When you see an old buddy, don't say "keep in touch, see you soon".
You didn't for 20 years, why now?

yotty
1st Mar 2013, 20:55
Peter Paul and Mary - Bob Dylan's Dream - YouTube

Hydromet
1st Mar 2013, 22:26
Seems this happens a bit more often now the interweb is everywhere.
A few years ago I was getting some info from the USGS site, and wondered if a former colleague, with whom I'd kept up for some time but lost track of about 30 years earlier, had gone back to work there - he'd come from there originally. Sent an email to the webmaster, and ex colleague contacted me a couple of hours later. Someone at USGS knew his wife, and contacted her. This time we haven't lost touch, he & his wife came to stay with us, and our careers & outside interests have been strangely parallel.

Coincidentally, I had an email last night from another colleague from nearly 40 years ago, who'd found me by accident on the web.

KAG
2nd Mar 2013, 01:26
Enjoy this pleasure Airship, it will concern only one generation (and half).

Now people are connected to FB or the like from being teenager to the end of their life, impossible to use internet to "catch up" for the new generation, as they are continuously in touch.

The charm to catch up thanks to internet will slowly dissappear...

hellsbrink
2nd Mar 2013, 05:07
Now people are connected to FB or the like from being teenager to the end of their life, impossible to use internet to "catch up" for the new generation, as they are continuously in touch.

The charm to catch up thanks to internet will slowly dissappear...

I don't know about that, people will always drift apart, even in this electronic age in which we live. People will always move elsewhere to live, start new lives without the people they once called "friends", relationships will always break up, friends will always be lost over stupid arguments..

Even without our instant communication, people will still be in the position to "catch up" with old friends....

Cacophonix
2nd Mar 2013, 07:03
Three years ago I took the opportunity of contacting an old friend from university, not seen by me for nigh on thirty years. He is now a prosperous mercantile lawyer.

Result of this contact was that he met and married a young lady friend of mine and is now expecting his second child.

One should never underestimate the power of the internet to bring people together or its ability to drive people apart.

Caco

Tableview
2nd Mar 2013, 07:26
In the 1970s, 4 guys, then in their 20s, lived next to each other in a small street in a Bohemian area of Cape Town (Tamboerskloof) and formed a good friendship.

I was one of them.

With the passage of time, we all moved on. I kept in touch with one of the guys who had moved to Wilderness on the Garden Route and saw him regularly over the years. We used to reminisce about the others and wondered what happened to them. Now we get into the power of Google.

We had heard that one of the guys was dead - this is a bit like the Rodriguez (Sugar Man) story. We later found out that he'd been hit by a savage driving an unlicensed taxi in the Transvaal and left for dead. He survived, and later took himself off to a caravan park in Noordhoek where he lived as a recluse for several years.

It took me 5 minutes to find that he was living and working in Knysna, just 20 minutes along the coast from Wilderness, so we hopped into the bakkie and went to see him at his art studio, giving him the surprise of his life.

It was a little harder to track down the fourth guy. A Google search on his name came up with a musician in New Zealand. As he was a musician, and many South Africans emigrated to NZ, I was pretty sure I'd got the right guy, so I found the number and called. A lady answered the phone and explained why I was phoning "Yes. My husband is called GC." "Is he South African?".
"No, Kiwi, born and bred." We chatted for a while, she wished me luck, and I went back to Google, and found a guy who lectured in the art of theatrical mime at a University in Madrid - and he was South African.

I contacted the University and within a week had an email from my old buddy GC, who, it turned out had met and married a Spanish girl called Anaya (and then divorced her because she wasn't ...... sorry you have to be South African to get that!) and was living in a small village in the montañas just outside Madrid, not far from where, by an amazing coincidence, I was taking my son to a summer camp a few weeks later. So we met up.

So three of us meet up regularly in SA, although sadly the guy who was hit by the taxi is very ill, but whether all 4 of us will ever get together is unlikely.

airship
2nd Mar 2013, 12:26
Thank you everyone for all your contributions (Hydromet, caco and even/or especially Tableview for relating their own experiences in some detail) and (hellsbrink and KAG for their insights) etc. :ok:

I should apologise that I all too often come across as overly morose here in JB. But I've been pleasantly surprised that many of you have also experienced similar desires to "catch up". And that there are also positive aspects in having done so...

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Mar 2013, 15:13
All I can say is that every time I've "caught up" with someone from the past, I've been sharply reminded of why I lost contact with them in the first place.
The past tends to be a strange place, full of unwelcome memories and unpleasant people: after all, thats why we move on, change jobs, move houses and exchange partners: to get away from what we have, to move to something better.
The past is a poisonous place, full of people best not remembered.

Slasher
3rd Mar 2013, 02:53

Amen to that mate. The most trouble occurs when old serious flames
suddenly decide they want to reignite the fire many years later.

KAG
3rd Mar 2013, 03:42
The past is a poisonous place, full of people best not remembered. HAHA! You have this experience too...
I sometimes receive emails from my evil ex... Sometimes even for Saint Valentine... Happily married today, I just ignore them, but it sure reminds me I had an other life before... Bloody internet! ;)
Thanks god he gives us a second chance in life despite our wrong choices!
I am so happy I found my wife.

hellsbrink
3rd Mar 2013, 05:45
All I can say is that every time I've "caught up" with someone from the past, I've been sharply reminded of why I lost contact with them in the first place.
The past tends to be a strange place, full of unwelcome memories and unpleasant people: after all, thats why we move on, change jobs, move houses and exchange partners: to get away from what we have, to move to something better.

And that is why it's always best to remember the poisons, sometimes even hold grudges until the day you die.

For if you don't remember, you're guaranteed to make the same mistakes again.....