PDA

View Full Version : Expensive whisky mistake.

clicker
28th Feb 2013, 21:30
"Thousands of litres of whisky flushed down drain in Dumbarton"

Appears the whiskey did'nt get into the local river. If it did I assume they would have had some interesting favoured fish on the tables later.

BBC News - Thousands of litres of whisky flushed down drain in Dumbarton (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-21614304)

diginagain
28th Feb 2013, 21:32
It's only 'blended', so no tragic loss...

Fish? In a river in Dumbarton?

Milo Minderbinder
28th Feb 2013, 22:10
Not that expensive: it would still have been in bond, no excise duty paid yet.

clicker
28th Feb 2013, 22:11
I bow to your better knowledge there, diginagain.

Being in Sussex I'm only a visitor to Scotland, although I do love the place and try to get there at least once a year.

NutLoose
28th Feb 2013, 22:42
A friend of mine used to work at a tip down south as a contract driver. customs had seized some lorry loads of Johnny Walker black label whiskey, they had done trials I believe to see what would happen if it went up in flames, it went out. After the trial it was dumped and with Customs in attendance he had to drive back and forth over it crushing and smashing a couple of artic loads of it, he said all he could see and smell was whiskey and the ground turned into whiskey based mud... :{

I bet the Scottish incident cleaned the sewer pipes and got a few rats plastered.

Basil
28th Feb 2013, 23:05
I recollect hearing of an error in a bottling plant where a liqueur and a whisky, instead of being bottled separately, were bottled in a range of combinations.
All scrap, of course, but eminently quaffable.
I do hope the employees believed in recycling.

SASless
28th Feb 2013, 23:54
"Thousands of litres of whisky flushed down drain in Dumbarton"

Never been to Dumbarton that I know of....but I have done my bit flushing whisky effluent down more than a few drains, ditches, jeans, and beds!;)

diginagain
1st Mar 2013, 00:40
My apologies, both to clicker and any Scots I managed to offend. I have been advised that not only are there numerous fish in the Clyde, but also many other forms of life too.

orca
1st Mar 2013, 00:54
That is true. I saw a Dockyard Oyster, a Dead Admiral and a Cigar Fish once on the way out of Faslane.

sisemen
1st Mar 2013, 00:55
As a Ballantines drinker (when I can't afford a single) I can readily see why it's number 2 on the best seller list. It doesn't seem to have that harsh 'edge' that other blends have got.

oxenos
1st Mar 2013, 08:07
Just cutting out the middle man.

pohm1
1st Mar 2013, 08:55
That is true. I saw a Dockyard Oyster, a Dead Admiral and a Cigar Fish once on the way out of Faslane.

Ok Orca, I got two out of three, but even the urban dictionary doesn't know what a "Dead Admiral" is, please enlighten me!

P1

tezzer
1st Mar 2013, 09:14
And this has got what to do with Military...................Oh hang on, I've just answered my own question.

EVERYTHING !

XV277
1st Mar 2013, 09:51
The Leven is a very good salmon river.

Union Jack
1st Mar 2013, 13:13
I'm sure its been mentioned before but, not only is there no "f" in whisky, there's no "e" either in the spirit in question ....:=

Jack

sitigeltfel
1st Mar 2013, 13:36
A similar mistake occurred in the 1980s at the Diageo bottling plant at Leven in Fife, resulting in the river Leven being sloshed.
The miscreant was removed from the bottling plant and sent to work in the packaging department because he was found to be alcoholic. The condition was treated as an industrial disease!
He was eventually sacked when he was discovered smoking where all the cardboard cartons were stored.

orca
1st Mar 2013, 15:02
P1 - all refer to the same creature...

Dan Winterland
1st Mar 2013, 16:09
''Not that expensive: it would still have been in bond, no excise duty paid yet.''

Technically, as soon as it left the bonded store via the drains, the duty becomes payable. Could be expensive if HMRC want to press the point!

Easy Street
1st Mar 2013, 19:22
I'm conjuring up an image of Rab C. Nesbitt and other assorted Glaswegians running sewage through a still to recover whatever whisky they can... nice...

clicker
2nd Mar 2013, 00:47
New keyboard please, Easy

diginagain, you did'nt offend me at all, made me chuckle.