PDA

View Full Version : Watered down Budweiser. How would you know?

cargosales
28th Feb 2013, 19:46
Watered down Budweiser. How would you even know?

This has been in the press a lot over the last few days but I loved this headline and haven't seen it mentioned here so here goes ....

Watered-down Budweiser? Pick up a real beer instead | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/27/anheuser-busch-beer-watered-down-shocking)

Over the years, certain beers have acquired different nicknames/descriptions, with some more deserved, and more accurately descriptive, than others. Round here Stella is colloquially known as 'wifebeater' and Budweiser as 'near frozen gnat's pee'. [That's the American Budweiser, not the completely different Budwar product of course]. I have no idea of course why either of these two very fine beers have such nicknames :}

If they can do it with horsemeat posing as beef, are we surprised that large multinationals would try to pass off water as beer? Or that they'd even think about doing it, let alone try put the idea into practice? And yes, it's a valid question: would we even notice?

Lonewolf_50
28th Feb 2013, 20:49
This is right up there with "Oh, dear, football players get concussions!"

Well, DUH!

Turbine D
28th Feb 2013, 21:03
Well, nothing would surprise me about Budweiser. At least Maker's Mark announced ahead of time they were going to dilute the bourbon! ;)

Maker's Mark to restore alcohol content of whiskey (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/17/makers-mark-restore-proof/1926081/)

RJM
28th Feb 2013, 21:10
It would taste like water.

SASless
28th Feb 2013, 21:27
Drinking Buddygetwiser is like making Love in a Canoe.....fecking near water! Now Guinness, Theakston's, Newkey Brown, now we are talking!

BenThere
28th Feb 2013, 21:47
But Budweiser is produced and sold at very low cost, delivers the alcohol, and can be consumed at little to great quantities with no gastric effect. It is a quality product, consistent, safe, widely available, reliable.

I don't drink it much, as I am an IPA draft aficianado, but I appreciate that it's there, and know what I'm going to get on those occasions when I find buying it is the best choice.

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Feb 2013, 21:53
With Ben on this one, dont drink it here but when in the US I certainly do, no frills, always available and very refreshing :ok:

Matari
1st Mar 2013, 02:28
Never forget my old pop standing in the icehouse, sawdust on the floor, bucket of ice-cold beer bottles on the bar, talking with his buddies. Sweltering heat outside, cool shade and cold beer inside.

Different countries, different traditions. But here's the thing: whatever you want, you can get here. Expensive, exquisite world-class micro-brews, or cheap, mass produced thirst quencher 'lager'. One can be a beer snob or a beer slob. Makes no difference. Just enjoy.

West Coast
1st Mar 2013, 05:24
SAS

With you on drinking Bud, kinda like riding a moped, fun till...

Lon More
1st Mar 2013, 05:40
http://www.porcelainpoetry.faketrix.com/content/pics/page-3/large/butt-wiper.jpg

radeng
1st Mar 2013, 08:26
A US colleague always refers to it as 'Buttwiper'.............

Nopax,thanx
1st Mar 2013, 12:04
We stocked up on beers for our hospitality fridge for the July airshow here at Duxford, including a box of C**rs Light as we had some guests from the USA....the box is still unopened, they prefer real ale when they come to the UK.

Personally I would rather have one 330ml bottle of something interesting than three or four fizzy lagers, why have three pints of a brew that you don't actually like the taste of when for half the price you would get twice the enjoyment? Quality, not quantity.

I reckon half the problem with the binge drinking culture in the UK is the desire to neck as much cheap beer as possible in as short a time, it just leads to trouble. Far better to enjoy one or two strong, slow beers in conversation with some good friends. I'm being taken out to a Belgian pub in Twickenham tomorrow night by my family for my birthday, and I know it's going to be boozy but civilised.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, anyone? :ok:

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 12:40
Drinking Buttwiper is akin to riding a moped? Now there's a stretch of the imagination.

I liken drinking Budweiser to being water-boarded for a week, non-stop of course, in some third-world shit hole. To me, Budweiser is not beer/lager. And there is nothing quality about it. They use more adjuncts when brewing that camel piss than you can shake a stick at.

Slasher: drinking Budweiser is not really like making love in a canoe. I think drinking Budweiser is more like making love with a bathing suit on in the Arctic with 33 extremely hungry and irate Polar bears bearing down on you.

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 12:42
Nopax wrote:

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel

:eek::eek::eek:

That is the Devil's Brew. Take it easy with that stuff. Drink enough of it and you will easily speak Mandarin Chinese.

wings folded
1st Mar 2013, 13:00
I did venture the view recently that Budweiser was not so much brewed as passed, and got a fairly snotty reaction from west of 30 degrees.

With so many excellent locally brewed beers, in America, I cannot imagine why anybody would want to drink Budweiser at all.

But each to his own taste, what?

rgbrock1
1st Mar 2013, 13:04
You're right about that wings: why would anyone want to drink Anheuser-Busch's bottled Camel Piss when there are so many good micro/craft brews around? My guess is: it's cheap. Cheaply made and, thus, cheap in price. And, yes, Buttwiper is indeed passed. Either in the form of continuous pee-pee or a huge liquefied fart.

Now having said all that, one must drawn attention to a "brew" which is as equally bad as, if not much worse than, Budweiser which is commonly known as Miller beer. Miller beer is truly the antithesis of real beer/lager/ale. As a matter of fact anyone can easily "brew" Miller beer on their own. All you have to do is find a few empty bottles with the Miller label still stuck on them and piss in the bottles. Cap them and then, voila, Miller beer.

They call Miller: Miller high life. I call it Miller for low lifes. They even have the audacity to label one of their products as Miller Genuine Draft. WTF? Genuine draft? (Or draught for YOU PEOPLE who enslaved us for many years here in the colonies. Until we kicked your butts out. <snicker-snicker>) Should be more like Miller for the Genuinely Daft.

rotornut
1st Mar 2013, 13:13
Watered down? Not really:

Budweiser May Seem Watery, But It Tests At Full Strength, Lab Says : The Salt : NPR (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/02/28/173076501/budweiser-may-seem-watery-but-it-tests-at-full-strength-lab-says?ft=1&f=1001)