PDA

View Full Version : The final bullet

Stick35
27th Feb 2013, 16:26
Ok, here i go. Got today the news on my work i will be on the dole the 15 of april . Gosh, only 2500h on a small learjet 31, i feel really :mad:,!!

Think i can forget it now in the flying business with my 37 years. I think i have to find a job outside aviation, no chance to get back in.

victorc10
27th Feb 2013, 16:32
If you give up you will never know...

Iver
27th Feb 2013, 16:37
Consider flight instructing as a way to build your network. I would also offer your services at Flight Safety/CAE as a substitute pilot to build your contact base. You might have to find some other work on the side to support your "aviation habbit" until a full-time gig arrives. Time to get creative! Have you looked at the Middle East as an option - lots of growth there....

exeng
27th Feb 2013, 16:41
Twice in my career I have thought the same as you - more because of my age (getting a bit long in the tooth!)

You have to look at all opportunities and probably be prepared to move overseas. I am in a place I never imagined I would ever be. I came over here some 4 years ago absolutely dreading it to be honest - I've never enjoyed my flying as much and now spend more time with my family than I ever did before.

Best wishes for the future, and remember that most opportunities come to those who actively seek them.

Stick35
27th Feb 2013, 16:48
Hi guys,

I have no probs to look overseas, since i have no commitments. But the last year i had the feeling i was the one to go and already applied. And yes, also in Middle east, asia, africa but no result since they ask always the required typeratings. This is the first time i will get unemployed in aviation-land.

And do you guys think i should now pay my own recurrent to stay current? Or what shall i do?
Tx for the advice.

Duffb
28th Feb 2013, 14:24
Google Pilot Career Centre. Some ayrlines might take you on as an FO or SO.
Heard Qatar Airways takes low hour pilots, also look at Cathay Pacific or ANA.

Good Luck :ok:

mutt
28th Feb 2013, 19:07
If you trained at flight safety, they will grant you a free recurrent once you are unemployed, check out their website for details.

Downside of this is that your present company must give permission, so hope you left on good terms.

Centreline747
28th Feb 2013, 19:44
Good luck, Matey! I've had my ups and downs in aviation and felt like giving it all in and changing careers, but I stuck to it and now happy once again. Do what you have to do but never give in, hopefully it will work out in the end. All the best whatever you choose!

root
2nd Mar 2013, 15:01
Good luck brother. I think these threads serve us well because they make us remember that across continents and companies we are all airmen and each of us can fall on hard times.

flite idol
2nd Mar 2013, 15:28
Sad reflection on the current state of the industry. 10-15 years ago you would have a very good chance of securing airline employment with that experience. Now you need 200tt and fifty grand and to be willing to sign up for indentured servitude into airlines where recruitment is now a profit unit of the business.:ugh: