PDA

View Full Version : Swiss tragedy

brickhistory
27th Feb 2013, 12:47
BBC News - 'Three dead' in Swiss shooting (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21601323)

Three people have been killed and seven injured during a shooting at a factory near the Swiss city of Lucerne, local media quote officials as saying.

My condolences to the victims' families.

I hope the shooter enjoys an eternal roasting.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Feb 2013, 13:08
Switzerland has perhaps the highest gun ownership per capita in the world, though problems are very rare. It sounds like someone with a grudge and a gun and......What happened to good old fisticuffs ?

SHJ

ExXB
27th Feb 2013, 13:29
Regretfully: However, there are more domestic homicides and suicides with a firearm in Switzerland than virtually anywhere else in Europe except Finland, she says.

More guns, more shootings.

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2013, 13:39
What "zero defect" world do some people think we are living in? Man's inhumanity to man is one constant.

Sad, and not the norm.

Dushan
27th Feb 2013, 14:45
Stand by for outrage and calls to ban/control/centrally-store the tool used in this incident.

Oh, Switzerland. That's in Europe right? Never mind.

Tableview
27th Feb 2013, 14:54
According to Wikipedia - which I do not place too much credence in, but it gave a quick and easy result, Switzerland has the 3rd highest rate of gun ownership per capita in the world, but falls 20th in terms of firearm related deaths.

There will of course be more accurate statistics available, but I don't think they will disprove the contention that Switzerland is very, very safe, and that most gun related deaths there are either accidental or inter-family. The incidence of random shootings such as today's is very low.

That said, the incidence of gun related deaths in CH is significantly higher (again, Wikipedia figures) than most other European countries.

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 14:57
Here we go again. A thread started to express condolences to those effected by the shooting now is slowly but surely making its way to a thread about firearms. Who would've thought?

Give it a break guys. It's getting, shall we say, tedious.

Dushan
27th Feb 2013, 14:59
Don't mention firearms, RGB. TB mentioned them once, but I think he got away with it.

Gordy
27th Feb 2013, 15:02
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/General%20Other/Shark_zps7bdb3f60.jpg

500N
27th Feb 2013, 15:04
"By it's side a Great White shark swims peacefully" ..............

until a New Zealand Police officer pumps it full of 20 lead projectiles !!!
(in reference to what happened today in NZ),

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 15:06
Hey Gordy? That great white doesn't look too peaceful to me.
Matter of fact, he looks like he just might have the diver for a snack in short order. :eek:

Wholigan
27th Feb 2013, 15:10
................. 10 .................

Gordy
27th Feb 2013, 15:10
Hey Gordy? That great white doesn't look too peaceful to me.
Matter of fact, he looks like he just might have the diver for a snack in short order.

But he did not. Kind of my point really, everyone has pre-conceived ideas that may or may not reflect reality.

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 15:17
I agree, Gordy. Fully.

Uh-oh. The countdown is on. We're at T-minus 10 and counting.

Let's talk about Great White sharks instead, eh? From a Swiss tragedy to the Great White shark. That'll do.

Dushan
27th Feb 2013, 15:45
Are there fresh water sharks? I don't think Switzerland has an ocean.

Ozzy
27th Feb 2013, 15:50
I like the Swiss, they put up a statue to Freddie Mercury so they are good people. And are not part of the EU....

Ozzy

Lon More
27th Feb 2013, 15:50
he looks like he just might have the diver for a snack in short order. although the airbottles might make it fart.

G&T ice n slice
27th Feb 2013, 16:00
Do the Swiss part-time-army chaps still commute to/from home with their gear?

They used to have ALL their gear at home, including light arms & accompanying ammo.

Wierd getting on a train & finding 20 guys in full combat dress and all toting the 7.62 FN plus a couple of guys with GPMGs (or the Swiss equivalent).

Stll, they were hugely amused by my very obvious momentary panic and proceeded to share their MRM & show me how stuff works.

I think stuff like mortars & grenades they had locked up somewhere safe...

Dushan
27th Feb 2013, 16:24
I think stuff like mortars & grenades they had locked up somewhere safe...

Are you suggesting that the 7.62 FNs and GPMGs were not "safe". Were you prepared to take them away from them?

500N
27th Feb 2013, 16:36
Dushan

Aaaarrrrhhhhh, but you see you don't need to take them away from them,
you only need to take one small part from each - which can be done in
very short order - and both weapons become totally useless.

Why carry 5kgs around when you can carry 500gms and achieve
the same objective :O

Tankertrashnav
27th Feb 2013, 16:51
but I don't think they will disprove the contention that Switzerland is very, very safe, and that most gun related deaths there are either accidental or inter-family.

"I'm sorry to have to inform you that your Aunty Heidi has been shot dead"

"Oh my God, that's terrible"

"Yes, it would appear that your Uncle Willi shot her"

"Oh, that's ok then"

brickhistory
27th Feb 2013, 17:07

If I may, why this?

There recently was a many-paged thread on roughly the same subject but set in a different locale.

The setting of this does seem to make a difference.

Why, please?

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 17:10
brick:

I'd imagine the countdown timer was a warning as to not diverge from the subject of the thread, which you of course authored, and descend, once again, into the pros and cons of gun ownership/gun control.

So, in essence, I guess the .....10.... was a frag order!!!!!

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Feb 2013, 17:29

Hey, we scored a 10 !!!

They do appreciate us after all. :)

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2013, 17:40
rg, it's bad enough someone got shot, let's not start ordering people to be fragged, eh? :p

Wholigan
27th Feb 2013, 17:42
Quite right rgb. :ok:

No worries right now though.

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Feb 2013, 17:55
This an article I read a week or so ago, for those who don't fully understand the Swiss version of gun ownership I would recommend reading it in full.

BBC News - Switzerland guns: Living with firearms the Swiss way (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21379912)

Its not, as it first appears, an attack on guns but does flesh out some of the Swiss myths by the end of the article, especially storage.

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 18:21
Uh, Lonewolf? I believe you were a Naval officer? As such, I'm fairly confident that you are well aware of what a 'frag order' is!!!!! (Which has nothing at all to do with tossing a fragmentation grenade at an, hopefully, unsuspecting object!!!)

AlpineSkier
27th Feb 2013, 19:00
20 guys in full combat dress and all toting the 7.62 FN

Repeat after me: SIG makes weapons in Switzerland, SIG.......

When I lived there, it was fairly usual to read of shooting deaths in Monday's paper: the common factors tended to be that there were always in isolated villages, involved family members, strife (and usually alcohol ) and mostly the militia assault-rifle but sometimes hunting-rifles.

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2013, 19:04
I certainly know what a frag order is, and IRL I both responded to and drafted any number of them.

I was making with the joke, my "Hooah" shouting comrade in arms. :}

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2013, 19:19
Lonewolf:

I was joking about your joking about the frag order joke!!!!

Oh, and btw:

Hooo-ahhhh. (Shouted with much gusto and aggression: the Ranger way. Not, hooah, as stated by the lowly mud-dwelling Infantryman of lore!!!!)

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2013, 19:24
Well, I heard about seventten different pronunciations of the term from various Army folks, so I spell it in the conventional sense.

An Air Force friend of mine used to pronounce it 'hooey' but then, their PRT was an exercise bike. :mad:

Wholigan
27th Feb 2013, 19:30
You sure that wasn't "huey" as in the porcelain telephone? ;)

brickhistory
27th Feb 2013, 20:25
USAF battle cry is "Fore!"

We all had our choices at the recruiters'.

Some of us just chose more carefully.

Lonewolf_50
27th Feb 2013, 20:45
Wholigan, a Huey is a fine helicopter.

If you are referring to calling ralph, buying a buick, shouting groceries, chundering, or executing the technicolor yawn, I'll chalk it up to idiomatic differences. :cool:

G&T ice n slice
27th Feb 2013, 21:07
Sig makes weapons in Switzerland
(lash)
(lash)
(lash)
(lash)

brickhistory
27th Feb 2013, 21:31
And in the U.S.

Pappa Smurf
27th Feb 2013, 23:23
Might be wrong but Switzeland has a national service scheme where everyone has to do time in the army.It maybe on going every few years for a certain time period--not sure.They are taught to defend their country,not shoot a hole in the door when they hear a noise

As for sharks--------------they dont attack for the hell of it ,only when hungry.
So all these aquariums with species of fish ,go for a swim when they havent been fed and see what happens.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2013, 23:33
I presume that all Swiss military conscripts are issued with an Army Knife?
(along with appropriate training as to the use and function of the multitude of features thereof)

ROSUN
28th Feb 2013, 00:05
No, that was Fulham and Michael Jackson.

It doesn't matter.

pigboat
28th Feb 2013, 02:55
I presume that all Swiss military conscripts are issued with an Army Knife?

As well as a watch and an array of toiletries in attractive packaging.

http://www.savvysassymoms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Screen-Shot-2012-06-09-at-3.29.01-PM-294x300.png

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/7466822/91bf3127-1b91-485f-bff3-7570e1ac5f69_320.jpg

parabellum
28th Feb 2013, 03:05
Did Michael Jackson play for Fulham then? never heard that before :confused: