PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on non-smoking flights

quilfaitbeau
23rd Apr 2002, 00:46
What do the flight attendants do when they find pax smoking on board a non-smoking flight? Any ideas?

There was a flight where one of the crew actually scared the living hell out of a pax by opening the toilet door and nearly extinguish him with a fire extinguisher. Well, the smoke alarm went off....but it was quite entertaining to watch the reaction of the pax.:p

Shadowpurser
23rd Apr 2002, 06:45
Now that sounds like a good solution!!!!!

However unfortunately the alarm generally doesn't go off as people blow the smoke drown the vaccum plug holes on the sinks, and we don't know someone has been smoking until their out and in their seats and another passenger has alerted us. By then unless someone has seen the culprit, it's tough to get someone to own up.:mad:

However I normally do a P.A. then try do do a bit of detective work asking PAX what or who they saw and trying to get a whiff of the suspects breath (someone who has been smoking once you've found them is fairly easy to spot as they reek of smoke -because they did it in the confined space of the toilet and it's infected their clothes). Sometimes they come clean, sometimes not.

You can give them a strong reprimand, or a warning card (like in soccer) warning any more trouble and they're prossecuted (which incidently they could be anyway!!!). Or you can get the authorities to meet you at your destination and they will ask you what you want them to do - i.e. reprimand or arrest.

That's about it really - Unfortunately in a lot of the destinations I go to (Eastern europe or Italy) the police don't give a monkeys as their all smoking on the apron as you taxing in anyway!!!:eek:

Hope that answers your question.;)

flyblue
23rd Apr 2002, 06:57
I hope it was not an halon extinguisher or sure enough the pax has now his head sticking out of an iron lung.

Some time ago we found a pax smoking in toilet during boarding operations. Reported to the Capt, he was offloaded on the spot for safety reasons.

quilfaitbeau
23rd Apr 2002, 10:46
Well, no, the halon was not actually extinguished. It was just used to scare him by showing it right in the face. It was hilarious and the other pax had a good laugh. It surely stopped him for even thinking about smoking on the rest of the flight.:D