PDA

View Full Version : SAR winch line cut, climber dies in scotland

jayteeto
27th Feb 2013, 11:34
Daily Mail reporting a Lossiemouth Sea King has cut the winchline, resulting in the death of a climber. Apparently some 'tense radio exchanges' just before accident.

cokecan
27th Feb 2013, 12:49
the Article is in the Mails' usual incomprehensible drivel style, but reading it through - or, to be more accurate, looking at the mish-mash of words repeatedly and pulling a random theme out of my arse in frustration - i don't think that it says the helicopters' winch cable was cut, but that the rope securing the injured climber to whatever protection his partner had been able to ram in was cut, presumably before the injured climber had been placed in the strop/stretcher.

i think, again, based on the Mails' incomprehensible jibberish.

RIP, and thoughts with the winchman, and the climbers family, who the Mail have so thoughtfully fully identified.

cnuts.

jayteeto
27th Feb 2013, 14:21
The BBC have changed their original story that mentioned a cable cut and now are just giving known facts. The mail mention cable and rope. Cokecan may be correct. Tragic anyway.

Tankertrashnav
27th Feb 2013, 16:41
As someone whose experience of SAR is confined to watching "Highland Rescue" from the comfort of my sofa I would not dare offer any comment on this story. All I would say is that watching some of the horrendous situations these guys have to deal with, accidents like this must be inevitable from time to time. Let's hope the guys get a fair shake from the BOI - something that is unfortunately not a given, looking at the events of the recent past.

cokecan
27th Feb 2013, 17:12
TTN, pretty much agree - having seen some of the flying thats done on such jobs its a miracle that a cab's not been lost recently.

probably the only form of sausage jockey that i don't ridicule. mucho, mucho respect to all involved - balls like fcuking church bells.

Courtney Mil
27th Feb 2013, 17:40
Sausage jockey?

hot_spud
27th Feb 2013, 18:45
Thoughts go out to the family, friends and crew.