PDA

View Full Version : Tough Justice in Oz :NOT !

TWT
26th Feb 2013, 21:25
Teen criminals laugh at court ruling after eight-month crime spree | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/national/teen-criminals-laugh-at-court-ruling-after-eight-month-crime-spree/story-fndo4ckr-1226586344837)

When the criminals are wondering why they aren't banged up,it's a worry.

Doors to Automatic
26th Feb 2013, 21:53
It seems that the UK is not the only place to have a ridiculous pro-criminal justice system run by left-wing idiots.

Never quite understood why when 99% of the population want an absolute purge on crime, 99% of the population get ignored.

500N
26th Feb 2013, 21:58
What's new.

So many "he' a good boy / girl" stories that get them off
it's not funny anymore.

And a copper can't give them a clip over the ear
like in the past.

Worrals in the wilds
26th Feb 2013, 22:23
Why aren't they tried as adults, or were they? Seventeen is classed as an adult in Queensland.

Anyway, I agree with you TWT. I'm all for rehab when people need a bit of a leg up and a shove in the right direction (and some people grow up in shocking families so no wonder they don't know right from wrong) but these two are indicative of a lot of cocky teen crims who know the law won't touch them. :*

I also think that winding back the Police response to high speed road chases has been an open invitation to pinch cars and hoon around like a maniac.

Fliegenmong
26th Feb 2013, 22:56
I believe the Chinese have in place a system to ensure no repeat offenders :E

TWT
26th Feb 2013, 23:22
Singapore justice is quite effective too.

Worrals in the wilds
26th Feb 2013, 23:36
I think that's a little more hard core than the average Aussie would want, but twelve months of forced labour would do them both the world of good, and give everyone around them a bit of peace and quiet.

500N
26th Feb 2013, 23:44
"I think that's a little more hard core than the average Aussie would want,"

Only because we have bred and are run by a bunch of namby pamby lefties.

As you said or a few good lashings would wake them up to reality.

TWT
27th Feb 2013, 00:08
Clearly,their parents haven't taught them that actions have consequences.The courts haven't taught them that actions have consequences either.So they'll keep on thieving from shops and stealing cars for a 'laugh'

It would be demoralising for the average cop who continually drags these repeat offenders before the courts only to see their hard work go to waste when the courts mete out nothing more than a rap on the knuckles,for the umpteenth time.

Cacophonix
27th Feb 2013, 00:14
Australia seems to have lost her sense of humour...

Aussie Gangs - Outlaw Bikers 1 (3 of 3) - YouTube

Sounds like any government...

Caco

TWT
27th Feb 2013, 00:55
But the guy speaking at 1.16 into the video hasn't lost his sense of humour.His pronunciation of 'facade' is novel :p

MG23
27th Feb 2013, 01:37
Never quite understood why when 99% of the population want an absolute purge on crime, 99% of the population get ignored.

Just imagine how many people would lose their jobs if there was no more crime...

MTOW
27th Feb 2013, 04:34
I think that's a little more hard core than the average Aussie would want, but twelve months of forced labour would do them both the world of good, and give everyone around them a bit of peace and quiet.Worrals, they'd both "hurt" their backs in the first 24 hours and sue the bejuzus out of the taxpayer for hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruel and unusual punishment - AND demand life long "compenshayshun" and medical care - and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know which way that court case would go. Ca'ching!

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Feb 2013, 05:50
Just as well Oz justice is lenient. Otherwise, they'd be reversing the trend of a few decades ago by shipping all the convicts to some remote, vermin-ridden, misgoverned cesspit of an island with unbearable weather.

...and the UK is already too full as it is.

Worrals in the wilds
27th Feb 2013, 06:02
Worrals, they'd both "hurt" their backs in the first 24 hours and sue the bejuzus out of the taxpayer for hundreds of thousands of dollars for cruel and unusual punishment
True, or just fall down dead from the unaccustomed exercise. One of the (many) problems with Boot Camps is that a lot of modern kids aren't capable of running up their street and back.

Have their unspeakable parents been seen in public?

ExXB
27th Feb 2013, 06:04
OK, what is the purpose of the penal system? Is it revenge or rehabilitation?

If it's the first are you surprised crime appears to be getting worse?

The whole idea of 'lock them up', 'lock them up', 'lock them up' just means more cost to me, without actually solving the problem.

No, I'm not soft on black-hats, but I would like to see something for my franc.

Worrals in the wilds
27th Feb 2013, 06:18
OK, what is the purpose of the penal system? Is it revenge or rehabilitation?Bit of both.
If it's the first are you surprised crime appears to be getting worse?Many stats show that violent crime is decreasing in most parts of Australia, but the problem appears to be geting worse due to increased and sensationalist media coverage (including this article, in fairness).

Nevertheless, since the previous state government wound back the police's ability to high speed chase and neither they nor the current government will pay for a police helicopter in Brisbane (the Gold Coast City Council got fed up and bought their own) there have been too many hoons stealing other people's fast cars and joyriding all over town in them. People are very sick of it, particularly when there's frequently no custodial sentence for repeat offenders.

From what I hear, the average person expects that if you get convicted of the same crime twice (and these weren't petty crimes) then you should get locked up for a while.

Anthill
27th Feb 2013, 09:46
Funny about this..

My next door neighbour (70 years old) was assaulted by a guy armed with a hunk of wood late last year. He had answered the door bell and a man in his mid 30s asked for his name and when he gave it the guy said " you CNUT!" and proceeded to bash him with this weapon.

My neighbour is pretty fit for age an although was hit on the head and also suffered repeated bows to his arms and shoulder disarmed his assailant and pushed him down his garden stairs. His wife came out and noted the reg. of the attacker's car as he sped away. His assailant was yelling "i'm gunna kill you!" during all this.

It transpired that they had both been is a car accident some 15 years earlier and the assailant had suffered a broken leg when he staggered drunkenly out into the road from between 2 parked cars. He had recieved an accident victim's payout but this had been reduced as there had been contributory negligence (ie: drunk & stupid).

Injuries to my 70 yo neighbour after being bashed with a length of wood included contusions and lacerations to the head and face. Massive bruising to his lft shoulder and arm. He was in hospital overnight and had his arm and head in a sling. He had 8 stiches to head. He needs ongoing physiothreapy and can't lift his left arm above horizontal.

When 'asswipe' got to court, he made a plea bargain and pleaded guilty to assault. He could have faced attempted murder, but the prosecution had initially gone for assault with a weapon. His silk (legal aid) argued that he was an alcoholic, his wife had left him and that he was remorseful.

No conviction was recorded and he has a Bond to be of Good Behaviour for 12 months.:cool:

Gossip over the back fences of our small cul-de-sack note that the world is a dangerous place and that karma could dictate that 'asswipefeatures' could be involved in a hit/run...ot encounter a masked mugger...a falling safe...random crocodile attack...exploding bomb....perhaps all at once :p

UniFoxOs
27th Feb 2013, 10:21

NO NO NO - primarily it's PREVENTION.

And that's why lenient sentences are totally farking useless.

UFO

Doors to Automatic
27th Feb 2013, 10:27

Punishment, deterrence followed by rehabilitation - or at least that is what it should be.

What it actually is, is a repeated lesson that criminal actions have no consequences.

Slasher
27th Feb 2013, 11:03
It seems that the UK is not the only place to have a ridiculous pro-criminal justice system run by
left-wing idiots.

Too bloody right - and the great Unwashed keep votin' 'em in election after election after election. :rolleyes:

Singapore justice is quite effective too.

That's because the punishment exceeds the crime. A bloody good 8 lashes of the cane across each
arse of those two morons would certainly shut 'em up.

Anthill
27th Feb 2013, 12:09
From Dylan McDonald:

Quote:

"I stole like 15 cars and I'm not even in jail," Dylan told the program said.

"That's pretty weird."

I think that's [email protected]#$%^ pretty weird too :=
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/misc/progress.gif

radeng
27th Feb 2013, 19:41
The Singapore and Malaysian canings are reputedly pretty brutal. Are there any statistics (or are they kept very quiet if even collected?) on any permanent damage, since such canings could damage the sciatic nerve. This could lead to severe problems at a later time - such as being crippled and confined to a wheelchair? Or, for that matter, infections?

1DC
27th Feb 2013, 20:31
The punishment for a crime should only be sufficient for you to never to want to commit that crime again. I doubt if we will ever get it right..

Slasher
27th Feb 2013, 21:53
Worrals I deleted the last 2 sentences of my post to which you quote. :\

maehhh
27th Feb 2013, 22:23
Yeah make them bleed, get the cane, corporal punishment hip hip hooray!!!! I love how the same guys complain about stoning and chopping hands off in other threads... oh wait?

Welcome to the 21st century gentlemen... :ugh:

Worrals in the wilds
27th Feb 2013, 23:44
Fair enough Slasher. I punted mine too.

MTOW
28th Feb 2013, 00:26
We all wait with bated breath to see what sentences (not) will be meted out to those involved in the stealing of the Boulder/Kalgoorlie miners' widows' funds AND the whole AWU 'shush fund' scam. I strongly suspect they'll be on par with the "sentences" meted out to these two cretinous teenagers. limp, wet lettuce slapped (very softly) across the wrist comes to mind.

I wonder if the law books contain a sentence for witnessing a document from 1800 miles away and two weeks before it was signed? Probably not, for not even the most anal lawmaker would have thought he needed to cover something as outrageous as that.

Metro man
28th Feb 2013, 01:32
Singapore justice includes "Reformative Training", army style discipline.

Home Team News (http://m.hometeam.sg/article.aspx?news_sid=20120716Oic2TgQZlz0O)

They are not playing video games and watching cable TV like they would be in an Australian prison.

Hydromet
28th Feb 2013, 05:22
Heard an academic talking yesterday about handling juvenile crime. His idea, which seemed to make a lot of sense, was that instead of first (2nd, 3rd etc) offenders being given non-custodial sentences until they finally overstep the mark, by which time they are happily settled into a life of crime, they should be given a short, sharp shock with a custodial sentence first up. He reckons that while they're still relatively 'innocent', a short custodial sentence might wake them up, whereas later, they are so habituated to crime that it's hard to change their ways.
He also made the point that it's not the length of the sentence that deters, as much as the knowledge that they will probably get caught.

Metro man
28th Feb 2013, 10:34
There is a TV series on the Crime and Investigation channel called "Beyond Scared Straight" where "misunderstood" teenagers are taken into an adult prison and shown where they are going to end up if they don't change their ways.

The dykes in the women's unit would have most men cowering in fear. One boy was given a packet of KOOL AID powder and told to rub it on his lips. When the prisoner who gave it to him told the teen that it was to make him nice to kiss, the look on his young face was priceless.:E