PDA

View Full Version : Integrating FSX Into Real Flight Training: Good Idea?

Procedures
26th Feb 2013, 03:02
Hello guys!

At the end of 2013, I'll begin initial pilot training. The plan is going to be very comprehensive and will include training from private, to instrument, commercial, multi-engine, one or more jet type ratings, VLJ single pilot certification and RVSM single pilot certification. The goal is to get ready for single pilot operation of a twin engine VLJ.

The training will be broken down into three (3) major categories and will cover two (2) years in total:

1) Pilot Certifications & Ratings
2) Turbine Skills Development (time building)
3) General Aviation & Business Aviation Education (past/present/future)

At the end of two (2) years, the expected Total PIC time is projected at between 1,100 to 1,500 hours with greater than 60% ME Turbo-Prop Cross Country in mostly Class B/C/D airspace. The list of scheduled aircraft for the training and time building program are as follows:

- Private Pilots License
- Instrument Rating

Cessna T182T
Cessna T210M
Bonanza A36

- Multi-Engine Rating
- Commercial Rating

Beechcraft Baron 58
Cessna 340

- Turbine Time Building

King Air C90B
King Air B200

- VLJ
* Embraer Phenom 300
* Citation CJ4
* Citation M2

[which VLJ is not yet known]
--------------------------------------

The training plan is pretty much in place and on standby until the end of this year. In the meantime, I stumbled upon the world of Flight Simulation. I eessentially have nine more months before the real flight training begins and I wanted to know what real pilots and real CFIs think about the idea of using a desktop flight simulator to begin the process of developing good mental habit with respect to Procedures?

I've done the homework on the available flight simulators and I've come to the conclusion that X-Plane would offer the better simulation in terms of Flight Dynamics, but FSX offers the better selection of Aircraft Models to use within the simulator itself (P3D is probably better than both, but suffers from the same lack of Aircraft Model Developer support that X-Plane does). I've installed all the software including all of the Aircraft Models listed above. I took several flights in the pattern at the airport out where I live. The first thing I learned, was that I have a lot to learn.
Ok, so I have a ton of questions, but before I ask them, I'll give you some background on where I am in aviation, so you will know better how to answer. Aviation is not new to me. In my late teens, I took three (3) lessons in my way to a private pilot license that never happened. I quickly ran out of money and school (college) became all absorbing of everything, including my limited money at the time. I spend the next 20 years developing a career outside of aviation, while at the same time, constantly telling myself that "one day" I'd return home to aviation where I belonged. The career kept getting more involved and more time consuming, and I kept moving further away from my goal of flying.

Over the years, whenever I got the chance I would go out and buy a book about flying and/or flight training. I now have a sizable (mostly unread) library at home on a wide range of General Aviation topics related to flying and/or flight training. I figured that one day, I'd get back to all those books and finally make good use of them.

I have watched the King Schools Private Pilots Training Program several times over the years, including the Sporty's Instrument Pilot Training Course and the Jeppesen Private Pilot program as well. I used to watch them like one watching their old favorite reruns of sitcoms they used to like years ago. I still have my copy of the FAA published Practical Test Standards for the Private Pilot, my old headset, flight bag, E6B and even my old logbook showing three (3) CFI signatures.

Now, I'm coming back home! Finally! Only this time, I'm coming back and a future aircraft owner/operator.

So, let me start by asking some basic questions, if you don't mind helping me out:

1) Do you think it is a worthwhile idea to start working on some fundamental procedures using FSX?

By procedures, I mean the real basics: PITCH/POWER/TRIM. I remember my old flight instructor beginning to teach me how to physically get the aircraft to do what I wanted it to do, using specific Pitch, Power and Trim settings that would afford me time to shift my brain into learning other topics at the same time, without always falling behind the aircraft.

When you combine FSX with something like PilotEdge, you get really good approximation of what the Radio work is like in real world flying. PilotEdge, connects my flight simulator to its server and provides live, real-time ATC coverage. So, you get to talk to a real Controller during your simulated flight.

2) Aside from simulating the aircraft pre-flight, engine start-up/shut-down procedures and studying the aircraft systems using the simulator, what other kinds of things do you think I should be doing with the simulator, that will help me hit the ground running when the real flight training begins?

I have found that using the simulator has forced me to recognize and better appreciate why having fundamental baseline level of airmen knowledge, skill and expertise through comprehensive training is so important. I found that simple things such as knowing when to initiate the descent for landing become extremely relevant when you don't know when you are supposed to descent and at what rate and airspeed you should maintain your descent.
Failing to make Radio calls when given instructions from fromgifrmATC, essentially ignoring them, is an absolutely non-starter, yet I routinely failed to make timely replies in some of my flights because I was so far behind the aircraft tryinyining to get caught-up with a heading change, or an altitude change. I found with the simulator that there were tons of little things to keep track of - not one of which enough to keep me from hurting myself - but when all of those tasks start to pile-up in the "un-done" co-doneall columnlumn, they combine andd conspire to gang-up on you and together they represent a real threat to safety of flight.

I foul
I found that I was twice as slow to respond to things when flying in IMC - in and out of the clouds and without a constant a physical horizon to juxjuxtaposextapose off the nose of the aircraft. In the clouds when making heading changes, I found that I consistently rolled out of turns too late, overshooting the heading- chasing the needle. However, the VSI was very intuitive to me in the clouds and I was able to use it to control/hold altitude very well even when the aircraft was being tossed around inside the simulated dynamic weather model.

The
The bottom line is that I am excited about what sits in front of me over the next two (2) years, but the simulator makes it abundantly clear to me that I havethe s a lot to learn.I.tt.

I have some specific questions to ask, but I just wanted to introduce myself, tell you what I have to look forward to and then ask your opinion about using such tools (flight simulator and live ATC simulation) as a preemptive tool to get up to speed on the mental work that I will be expected to learn during the Private and Instrument phases. The Aircraft Models are not perfect and I know I cannot reproduce the kinesthetic feel of flying real aircraft with a desktop model. But, that's not really my question. My question is about whether or not using such a tool for Procedure Work makes any sense and how do I go about not developing any bad Mental Habits while using such a tool?

So
Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

Regards!

zondaracer
26th Feb 2013, 17:13
Hello procedures, welcome to the forum.

It appears that you have done a lot of research but I recommend you talk with a CFI to get a realistic perspective on your plans. There are quite a few holes that I can point out right away.

1) Pilot Certifications & Ratings
2) Turbine Skills Development (time building)
3) General Aviation & Business Aviation Education (past/present/future)You should add CFI, CFI-I and MEI right after step 1. Before you get close to a turbine, you probably will have to instruct for at least a couple hundred hours.

1,100 to 1,500 hours with greater than 60% ME Turbo-Prop Cross Country in mostly Class B/C/D airspaceIn the US, the majority of your flying will be in Class E airspace, and once you move up to turbines, a lot of the flying will be in class A airspace. Class B, C, and D are primarily used when you are getting in and out of airports, but when you are out in cruise and in practice areas, your flying will be in class E. Additionally, 60% ME turboprop time at that stage is quite optimistic in the US.

The reason being that in the US, there are very very few jobs accessible to a newly minted commercial pilot, and the first jobs for most is flight instructing. Some guys might get into banner towing, but those jobs are definitely not turbine. At 500 hours, you might qualify for a skydive pilot job (in a C182) or aerial mapping or pipeline patrol job. Most of the time, these jobs are not in turbine aircraft. Skydive jobs in turbine aircraft start opening up beyond 1000 hours typically. Once you get to 1200 hours, then you might be able to get into part 135 work, but a lot of those jobs start you out in twin piston aircraft or single turboprop. Having said that, there are some guys who get copilot jobs in multiengine turbines at part 135 ops with less hours, but that is usually the exception and not the rule.

For insurance reasons alone, you would be hard pressed to find anyone willing to let you fly a turbine as PIC in the US with not a lot of total flying time.

Cessna T182T
Cessna T210M
Bonanza A36Typically not your PPL level aircraft. Having said that, I do know some rich guys with only PPLs who own Bonanzas and Cessna 210s, but you typically won't find these aircraft as your training aircraft at schools until you reach the final stages of commercial level training. This is mainly due to cost. Most PPL training is done on less expensive aircraft such as Cessna 172, Cessna 152/150, Diamond DA-20s, etc...

Then you mention turbine time building. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure who is going to let you time build in a King Air unless you are really rich. Before you get near a King Air, the most logical step for most people in the US is to work as an instructor. A lot of guys I know instructed until reaching about 1000 hours of total time. Afterwards, some got hired as copilots on King Airs, Learjets, Citations, etc... Before they ever moved into the left seat, they had a couple of years flying as copilot. There are some people who are getting PIC time in King Airs much earlier, but it is the exception and not the rule.

Now, about Flight Simulator...

I personally have been playing flight simulator since I was 10, so I understand how you feel, but now that I am an instructor, one thing I can tell you is that it is really easy to tell when a student plays flight simulator... the reason being that we have to make them unlearn a lot of habits before they learn the correct way. As someone who played a lot of flight simulator since I was a kid, I also had to unlearn some bad habits (mainly looking at the instruments too much). Flight simulator is a good tool to use once you are well into your training, especially at the instrument rating phase, but I would recommend that you spend more of your free time reading your books cover to cover before you start playing flight simulator.

Some books I would definitely read are:
Student Pilot Guide http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.pdf

Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook

The Complete Private Pilot ASA: The Complete Private Pilot (http://www.asa2fly.com/The-Complete-Private-Pilot-P1518_product1.aspx)

Stick and Rudder Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying: Wolfgang Langewiesche: 9780070362406: Amazon.com: Books

Airplane Flying Handbook Airplane Flying Handbook: FAA-H-8083-3A (FAA Handbooks series)(2nd Edition): Federal Aviation Administration: 9781560275572: Amazon.com: Books

Airman Information Manual http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATPubs/AIM/aim.pdf

I read through all of these books, cover to cover before I finished my private pilot. There are many more books out there but these will get you started

Check out the other FAA handbooks available for free online Aviation Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/)

Procedures
26th Feb 2013, 23:05
Hello Zondaracer, and thanks for the reply. Quickly:

You should add CFI, CFI-I and MEI right after step 1. Before you get close to a turbine, you probably will have to instruct for at least a couple hundred hours.

The VLJ will be my own. Therefore, I won't have the need for CFI/CFII ratings. However, I may seriously consider earning at least a CFI and taking on the challenge of instructing students for a brief period of time, as a way to enhance and solidify my own piloting skill, knowledge and awareness. There is an old saying that you really don't know a subject deeply unless you've taught it to someone else.

In the US, the majority of your flying will be in Class E airspace, and once you move up to turbines, a lot of the flying will be in class A airspace. Class B, C, and D are primarily used when you are getting in and out of airports, but when you are out in cruise and in practice areas, your flying will be in class E. Additionally, 60% ME turboprop time at that stage is quite optimistic in the US.

Even without a pilots license, I can already see that using FSX and PilotEdge (as just one example) reveals that the highest workloads occur during transitions into, through and out of class B/C/D airspace, while some of the easiest workloads seem to occur in all other airspace classifications. So, the highest procedural output requirements have always been in B/C/D for me on PilotEdge and FSX. PilotEdge replicates the Los Angeles ARTCC for Departure/Approach/Tower/Ground.

PilotEdge Live ATC (http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/operating-hours-and-service-area)

So, while most of the "actual" flying time will be spent outside the of upper limits of B/C/D is a true statement, the vast majority of procedural work seems to happen within those environments where the air traffic seems to be more dense.

This is the beauty (I hope) of using FSX in conjunction with PilotEdge. I'm already getting a better understanding of where some of the challenges will be in relation to procedural work and radio comms. I just need to know what I should be working on right now, before my actual training begins.

Typically not your PPL level aircraft.

Exactly, yes. That's actually part of the plan. They are slightly higher performing than the traditional Cessna 172, a bit less forgiving than the traditional 172 or 152, and they each have retractable landing gear with a constant speed propeller. The thinking here, was to gear-up for high-performance flying sooner rather than later, but not go so far over the top that learning in a civilian environment becomes too difficult and too distant. Those three (3) aircraft were selected very carefully based on their real world Flight Dynamics as initial trainers.

The other thing to remember here, is the ultimate goal will be operating a twin-engine VLJ single pilot, often times within the altitude range of RVSM, including a fair amount of transatlantic flights with a dry footprint and an equally fair amount of non-US airspace flights. So, I wanted to make sure that I was mentally prepared with enough "high-perf maturity" under my belt, such that I would not be fearful of the high-performance flight regimes in more capable aircraft. It was a mental/attitudinal thing for me.

If my target goal was an RV-10, then I could scale my training to match that performance requirement. But, I thought that single pilot in a VLJ over the Atlantic ocean might require a slightly different set of skills and experiences. I just want to be prepared to become the safest and the most competent pilot that I can be, personally. I feel that I have a personal responsibility to myself and others to do that.

Then you mention turbine time building. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure who is going to let you time build in a King Air unless you are really rich. Before you get near a King Air, the most logical step for most people in the US is to work as an instructor.

The MEL Turbo-Prop time building phases will be done with leased or owned C90B and B200 aircraft. I prefer the leasing option. Although, I have heard of pilots who start flying the King Air, believing that they will move on to something else and then falling madly in love with the aircraft.

I have no idea how I am going to "feel" about the King Air, or whether or not I'll develop a love affair with the airframe and its performance. But, I do know that it is a good platform for preparing myself for the eventual VLJ.

Both the CJI and CJII are Single Pilot Certified airframes. If I could get the same amount of lease time with either aircraft, I would replace the C90B and B200 with either one. That would then make the transition to the purchased VLJ far more horizontal and a lot less vertical. But, I believe I would have to spend more time at the MEL normally aspirated phase before I had the hours necessary for someone to lease the CJ1/CJII to me (I'll have to look into that question). But, certainly without question, the CJI/CJII route would be better than the C90B/B200 route for "turbine" time development, no doubt.

I personally have been playing flight simulator since I was 10, so I understand how you feel, but now that I am an instructor, one thing I can tell you is that it is really easy to tell when a student plays flight simulator... the reason being that we have to make them unlearn a lot of habits before they learn the correct way.

That's why I'm here!

The point is to not learn bad habits and only focus on those mental routines that allow for the development of good procedural practices in the cockpit. That last thing I want to challenge myself with is having to unlearn bad habits while at the very same time trying to develop good replacement habits. This is why I have a boat load of questions about what I can start working on using FSX and PilotEdge, from those who are actually CFI/CFII.

Flight simulator is a good tool to use once you are well into your training, especially at the instrument rating phase, but I would recommend that you spend more of your free time reading your books cover to cover before you start playing flight simulator.

I heard once before that FSX might be a good tool to use after one has a pilots license. I'm making a distinction between the Kinesthetic and the Procedural/Mental parts of flying and learning to fly. One of the greatest examples that I can give is my experience with Radio Comms. and ATC.

For the new student pilot, it is difficult to figure how radios comms. should work, when you are still trying to fully understand the pitch, power and trim settings for the aircraft you fly, what all the instruments mean and why they are important to any phase of flight, how to operate the radios, transponder, VOR, ADF and the basic HSI, all while attempting to unconsciously hold altitude, hold heading, or worse, hold and maintain a specific rate of descent at a specific airspeed. Geepers! All that gets dumped into the lap of the student, almost right off the bat and the vast majority of it is procedures related.

I'm not trying to cut corners. In the U.S. it still takes 40 hours total before one can legally be licensed as a private pilot. The national average is still upwards of 60 hours total. What I'm trying to do is make room inside my brain during training for the real cognitive work that every pilot has to do, especially when transitioning through dense/thick/heavy controlled airspace on departure and arrival in a so-called complex aircraft.

If I'm still stuck on trying to figure out what ATC just blurted at me on the Radio, and I'm seeing my airspeed drop-off as my altitude increases and my heading changes from where I should be, and I forgot the last four words that ATC shot my way- then what does my brain spend the most time trying to catch up on. They say the Number #1 Rule is to "First Fly The Airplane." Ok, but now I feel extra stupid because not only am I extra late on the reply to ATC, but I forgot their instructions.

So, now, I've got the airplane under the control but I'm wearing a propeller hat in the corner of the room, because I have to call ATC back and ask them to "Say Again," all because my brain was preoccupied with basic procedures that I could have already worked out on the ground in a simulator that offers high enough fidelity to reproduce such environments. LOL, and this was on a clear, sunny, sky blue day - supposed it was MVFR. The brain is now completely unfocused because there is no real understanding of where the procedures fit into the overall equation and my learning curve is now flattened by at least X%.

I'm trying to figure out some basic/fundamental things that I can work on that will help to free up some brain cycles during real flight training. I don't want to be swamped with learning procedural stuff that does not have to be initially learned in the cockpit and stuff that can easily be moved into the Review column once the real flight training begins - as opposed to having exposed to me for the very first time. That's the type of stuff I want to nail to the wall right now.

Let me give you a little example of what I'm talking about:

Yesterday, I took stock C-172N from CYJQ in Canada on a northwesterly heading using a cloud set from Orbx/FTX that would give me IMC conditions throughout the flight, just to see how I would handle it. I had no idea where I was going or what my destination airport would be - I just wanted to experience trying to figure out how to navigate without visual reference. Visibility was down to under 1.5 miles the entire time and I was constantly in and out of the clouds at all altitudes, while climbing up to 10,100ft.

I basically tried to remain on the runway heading until reaching cruising altitude and that's when I realized how difficult doing just that would be. Having a stiff X-wind from the West, there were also some pretty big up/down drafts as well. The VSI kept plunging 500fpm and the airspeed was all over the place as the little C-172N "that could" began to feel really small inside a somewhat hostile environment. It was at this point that I remember an old training flight I had in a C-172 many years ago, during stiff X-winds coming through the opening at the Golden Gate Bridge on day. The aircraft was being tossed around exactly like I remember it. I also remembered that making huge control inputs as corrections during thee turbulent times, was futile from the real aircraft. So, I stopped making huge control corrections and that's when my simulated C-172 started climbing better and maintaining heading significantly better. Lesson #1 Re-Learned.

I had no idea how to use the VOR. I turned to a Southern heading and just flew at 10,100ft while figuring out how to maintain heading and altitude under those turbulent conditions without the benefit of a horizon. I was in the clouds, mostly blind, precious few looks at the ground below and now on a Southern heading. That's when I decided to call ATC and ask for directions to an airport.

I noticed that Boeing Field came up on the ATC info screen in FSX. I tuned to Boeing Field ATIS and made some notes. The aircraft kept drifting off course, so I constantly had to make subtle adjustments to keep the heading and altitude stable - it was really hard work just keeping the aircraft flying a prescribed heading at a prescribed altitude in those conditions. ATC indicated that Boeing was at my 9 O'clock - so I initiated a level turn to a heading 90-degrees left, still unable to see the ground or the horizon. Of course, I had already trimmed out for cruise, and set both cruise power and cruise mixture, so the engine was being managed the best I knew how.

All of sudden I see mountain peaks to my right about 10 miles. Now, I'm thinking to myself: Gee, this was dumb. Now, I'm going to slam into mountains that I cannot see. What a lesson that will be. After asking for directions to the airport, ATC indicates that the airport was something like 19 miles from my position. (thank goodness for ATC!)

I increased the mixture full rich, pulled the power to 1900rpm and set the pitch to capture 500ft/min on the VSI and then trimmed the elevator to hold that attitude. It was tough. The winds were bouncing the aircraft all over the place, but the 500ft/min pretty much held and the airspeed remained fairly stable. I had no idea whether or not that was the correct Pitch/Power setting for this aircraft coming from 10,100ft to a target 31 miles away. I asked ATC again for direction and they told me that the airport was at my 12O'clock, but I could not see it, of course.

Eventually, around 4,500ft most of the thick cloud layer broke and I could see just across the southern end of Puget Sound. Still unable to see the airport, I asked ATC for directions a couple more times and they kept coming back with the airport at my 12 O'Clock, each time with a shorter distance between the airport and my aircraft's position. So, I knew I was at least heading in the right direction. As the clouds cleared out below me, I saw the airport light signal used that as my target without being able to fully make out the runway.

I then set a rate of descent that put the intermittent light beam from the airport in the same spot on my windshield and that gave me a consistent 100mph airspeed (again, not knowing whether or not this airspeed was correct for this aircraft). ATC then cleared me for straight in to runway 13, but I looked at my altitude and did not feel comfortable that I could make 13 straight in, feeling that I would be too high for the approach. So, I asked for a runway change to 31R. ATC cleared me to a right hand base to 31R. This gave me more time to get down and shed altitude.

I got to about 1,200ft just abeam the end of runway 13, and decided to throw out 10-dgrees of flaps at about 90kts which was 3kts over Vfe, but the winds were strong and caused the airspeed indicator to fluctuate within a 10kt range and I needed to get down to 750ft pattern altitude not knowing if that was the correct TPA, but recalling that number from a flight training day some 20 years ago.

The aircraft finally settled down and I was able to stabilize it at roughly 700ft and 90kts. Because of the winds, I wanted to carry a little extra airspeed into my base leg turn which I eventually made off an extended downwind. I dropped 10 more degrees of flaps on base, but needed to bump-up the throttle slightly to hold the airspeed.

Turing to an extended final, I dropped the last 10-degrees of flaps and pushed the nose over in an attempt to hold about 85kts. Coming over the threshold, there was a strong gust pushing the aircraft to the left, so I applied right rudder and slightly dipped the right wing to re-intercept the center-line - this seemed to work. Over the numbers I cut the power to just above idle and began looking up at the end of the runway as Gregory M. Penglis, in his book "The Complete Guide to Flight Instruction," instructs that on landing, the end of the runway should come into alignment with site-picture and a fixed point on the windshield, causing a natural flare to take place routinely. He was right - it worked. The right mains touched first followed by the left and then the nose.

It was fairly obvious to me that I had no idea whatsoever, what I was doing, but it was hugely informative and instructional about the things that I need to learn and the procedures that I need to nail down to make such flights far more common an whole lot less stressful.

This is what I mean about using a simulator. Not as a Game, but as a Tool for learning about what not to do, and about which procedures, actions, decisions and thoughts are necessary for safely operating the aircraft being modeled.

1) Not knowing how to use the VOR made this a lot more difficult than it had to be.

2) Not knowing the pitch and power settings for the aircraft made controlling it more difficult than it had to be.

3) Not knowing what ATC communication would come next down the pipe-line created more stress for having to solve more problems related to getting set-up for the right runway.

4) Not knowing how to flight plan around Mountains in IMC conditions almost bought me a first class ticket to a serious CFIT situation (definitely not good).

Ok, so it was just a sim. But, did my brain know the difference, or did it book the experience as something to draw upon later?

That's the real question here - can I use this stuff to build real recall capability inside my own brain, sufficient to help me with improving the learning curve during the actual flight training phases. I don't consider this a game - I think it really all depends on how you approach it.

Some books I would definitely read are:

Thank you. I already have each book on your list in my library. I just need to get through them all. Stick and Rudder was the first book on aviation I bought many years ago. I believe the book knowledge is great and absolutely necessary. But, how much more effective can my learning be, if I married the book knowledge with some practical procedural experience with a flight sim environment like FSX and PilotEdge and what areas do I start working on right now?

I have eight months before my flight training begins. I want to preempt some of the learning curve and boost memory recall before the real things starts with good habits, not bad ones. Any good idea for helping me do that is a good idea.

Thanks!

Canute
27th Feb 2013, 10:42
Proceedures

You sound quite interesting.

You are obviously extremely thorough and methodical, which may pay off well when it comes to actual training, but I fear you are over-thinking things and trying to run before you can walk.

Your little sim flight yesterday was never going to go well.

The very worst thing you can do in flying training is progress to the next stage before you have mastered the last. You attempted to do everything at once, and even the best can't do that.

I would echo what the previous poster said. Don't try to learn in the sim by yourself. It will just teach you bad habits. Even military/commercial full motion sims are "ok" at best despite what the manufacturers say, and pc based once are a laugh but essentially dross with a few uses in practising for your IR perhaps.

You are in a rare position by the sound of it in that you have the money to do this properly.

My advice.

1. Find out if you have what it takes to be a pilot before you embark on a very very expensive journey.

This is not as easy as it sounds, because a school just wants your money. A bad pilot will make them more money in training than a good one. My suggestion would be to research a good flight instructor that is an inconvenient distance from where you live. Ideally somebody in a different state. Offer him a good lump of cash to give you an honest assessment of your flying aptitude.
Explain to him that whatever his answer you will only ever have two 2 hour lessons from him and that you want him to spend the 4 hours working out whether you have what it takes to be a competent single pilot IFR jet pilot. This way he has nothing to gain from blowing smoke up your arse about you being the next Chuck Yeager.

2. Assuming the answer is positive, find another good instructor who is local and convenient. When I say a good instructor, I mean someone that instructors think is good rather than students. My suggestion for both would be ex military flying instructors. I say this not because there are not fantastic civilian instructors out there, but because the quality is more variable, plus military guys are more likely to be teaching out of choice rather than as a stepping stone to gain hours and are used to telling people when they are below standard, which is a difficult skill.
Explain to this instructor that you are not interested in the quickest/cheapest route to your PPL/CPL/ATP etp, but the best. I would emphasise this is not because I think you should waste money on training, but because I think it could actually save you money in the long run. Getting the basics absolutely nailed at the beginning whilst flying a relatively cheap cessna for an extra couple of hours to really put the polish on your skills at a tenth of the cost of your kingair time will pay for itself many times over. Pay that little extra to have some basic aeros training. Really explore spins and fully developed stalls etc. Get it all out of your system in a cheap and cheerful light aircraft with an instructor who is comfortable near aircraft limits. You are not looking for the cheapest route to an airliner cockpit where you will be a systems manager for the rest of your career and basic skill are seen as generally unimportant. You actually want to be a pilot, which is laudable, and with that you need good skills.

3. Job permitting, give yourself over to this full time.
Flying training is exhausting.
You need to try to fly 5 days a week. You wont always acheive this, but if you maintain that level of currency you don't waste money relearning stuff.
You need weekends off. Performance and morale will suffer if you burn out.
You must not fly more than 2 hrs a day, less in the early days. If you can maintain concentration for more than 2 hrs, then you are not concentrating hard enough. This does not mean there is not a lot of studying/planning/briefing/debriefing to be done as well. I have spent a lot of time involved in the military flying training system, and it is incredibly apparent when a student is given too much in one day. The performance falls off a cliff. It is a waste of time and money and very demoralising.

4. Do become an instructor. Not for the money but for the learning experience

5. Don't self educate any more. The aim is laudable, but the effect is punitive.

Now some questions.

Why a VLJ?
Learning to fly a KingAir to prepare you for a VLJ is a bit the wrong way round. Little jets up to and including straight winged citations etc are a lot easier to fly than a KingAir, and less capable in almost every way. Don't get me wrong, I think a KingAir is a brilliant aircraft in many ways, I just think it may be a mistake to move past it onto something else. The KingAir is almost purpose built for your circumstances. Bulletproof engines.Range of sizes. Range of range/endurance options(350ER is continent crossing). Excellent single pilot cockpit -proline21. Viceless handling. Good top speed, but slows down nicely if it has all got a bit frantic.

AviatorTB
4th Mar 2013, 14:50
Procedures,

I received my PPL in early 2010. My instructor at the time split his time between me and another gent who went on immediately to get his IR, the MEIR, and then his type-rating for the Phenom 100 that he bought (yeah, lucky guy). If I remember correctly, he did this all in about a year; no CPL, no CFI, no ATP. I have no idea what his insurance costs were or what they are now given that he is always flying. So, a) this can be done quicker, and; b) the additional ratings may not affect your insurance costs given that your lack of Total Time will dominate the calculation.

My aviation goals are nothing like yours, in terms of aircraft. However, I believe that I approached getting my license and then my IR with a rather enthusiastic attitude somewhat like yours. I rapidly discovered that the flight sims were useless because I lacked the experience necessary to properly use them. Primacy (that learned first is remembered best) is pernicious when you're "learning" the wrong things. The sims for avionics, OTOH, are extremely useful once you are in the midst of your training and have some idea of what you're trying to accomplish. So c) skip the xplane or whatever until you have started your training; d) even then, it might be only somewhat useful for those cold IMC days when you can't fly with your CFI in a 152, and e); playing with Garmin's 430 simulator is a heck of a lot cheaper than knob-fiddling in the plane (pun intended).

Good luck!

thedude1
5th Mar 2013, 09:21
This thread is eerily familiar to another poster at another web site.
The poster had lofty goals and supposedly had already picked out an aircraft he/she was trying to work into in about a two year time frame.
Said poster had a few post in a months time frame and never returned.
Strange.