PDA

View Full Version : A mini-survey of respected professions - or not

toffeez
25th Feb 2013, 19:20
Please rank these professions by giving their names in best-to-worst order of the respect you give them:

Car salesman
Surgeon
Lawyer
Real estate agent
Teacher

Please keep to the list or we'll get overloaded and have to close down. Thanks.

Tableview
25th Feb 2013, 19:28
Surgeon
Teacher
Car salesman
Lawyer

(sharkshit level)

Real estate agent

Lonewolf_50
25th Feb 2013, 19:37
Surgeon
Teacher
Lawyer
Car salesman
Real estate agent

If this is the limit, then that is my rack and stack.

You can teach your kids, you can't replace their kidney. Only a surgeon can.
Lawyers hurt as much as they heal, or they'd be higher up.
Car salesmen are in a tough biz, and very few maintain their integrity. The really good ones do, though.
Real estate agents: have no incentive to not contribute to house price inflation. :mad:

Neptunus Rex
25th Feb 2013, 19:43
Surely Car Salesman and Estate Agent are not professions - they are trades.

thing
25th Feb 2013, 19:47
You can teach your kids, you can't replace their kidney. Only a surgeon can. And surgeons have to be taught how to do it....

Teachers
Surgeons

Wouldn't p*** on the rest if they were on fire.

Loose rivets
25th Feb 2013, 20:56
So what is a profession?

I was once told by a barrister pal, Barristers and doctors were considered to be at the top of such a list. Solicitors it seems, rank second, along with airline pilots. So not too bad then?

Yeh, right!:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
25th Feb 2013, 21:00
A paid occupation, esp. one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

radeng
25th Feb 2013, 23:20
What about engineers?

Not the jerks who fix photocopiers, washing machines, central heating boilers and so on, but ones with professional (degree level) qualifications?

yer, so yer washing machine fixer is an 'inguneer'. Would he know where to start DESIGNING the control board?

thing
25th Feb 2013, 23:23
Bit patronising Rad, the guy who fixes our washing machines et al has a masters in Electrical Engineering. He can make more money running his own domestic repair company.

radeng
25th Feb 2013, 23:28
There are a large minority of those. The average is as thick as pig sh*t.

Like the electrician I had who didn't understand that a lot of mains filters on bits of kit would trip an RCD because of the unbalanced load offered by mains filter. Those mains filters from 4 computers and three printers and a scanner on one ring main.

Um... lifting...
25th Feb 2013, 23:40
G-CPTN has a lot of it.

Additionally, it is usual that a 'profession' has its own regulatory bodies and disciplinary procedures as well as some degree of monopoly rights.

Prior to that point it is typically considered to be a 'trade' or 'occupation'.

If radeng's recourse for a poor repair is the company or the individual and not a regulatory body, he's dealing with a tradesman, regardless of what the fellow may choose to call himself.

Slasher
25th Feb 2013, 23:58
Surgeon
Teacher
Car salesman
Real estate agent
Lawyer (blood sucking parasite!)

Low Flier
26th Feb 2013, 00:19
Teacher
Surgeon
Real estate agent
Car salesman
Lawyer (blood sucking parasite!)

Slasher
26th Feb 2013, 00:40
Been screwed over by 'em too LF? :ouch:

In my list above I should qualify that only half a bee's dick separates
the car saleman from an estate agent with regards to respectmanship.

Metro man
26th Feb 2013, 01:59
A profession generally involves an exam on the legal aspect of the work. A pilot has to pass Air Law for example.

A professional qualification often allows the holder to certify something as correct e.g. company accounts or that a building meets construction standards.

Of course you could have a very professional butcher whose shop was immaculate, sold quality meat and gave excellent service to his customers. Just as you could find an unprofessional doctor who had a poor bedside manner, didn't keep up with the latest treatments and over prescribed drugs.

KAG
26th Feb 2013, 02:09
The profession that gives the best reputation in Rome and in Greece (2-3000 years ago) is paysan (farmer). That was one of the few jobs an honest citizen could have without being considered a "client" (second class of citizen, dependant from a boss).

This is still the case today, more than ever.

Paysans are the bravest, the most important to humanity. Real paysans (farmers) have no boss, they master their product from the beginning to the end, they use time and earth, honesty in front of nature, they are not slave like most of us.

http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Gladiator-wheat-field.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6066/6059143846_ecaa856647_z.jpg

Now dare to compare that to car saleman as a profession.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Feb 2013, 02:13
I would question whether teaching is a profession by most of the definitions given here.
The PGCE involves no exam (certainly not on teaching law). The General Teaching Council has recently been abolished, and was pretty ineffectual whilst in existence. Quite a number of teachers in the Independent sector have no PGCE (myself included).

However... I think a profession involves high standards, continual development and a belief that the profession, and its beneficiaries, are more important than the professional's personal inclinations.
By this definition, the vast majority of teachers are professionals and rightly respected.
By contrast, I don't think the bottom 3 'professions' on everyone's lists generally give a stuff about their 'professional' codes of conduct, or their customers.

I presume 'journalists' are too far off the bottom of your list to fit on the page?
And that to reach the level of 'politicians' would require a remake of 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'?

obgraham
26th Feb 2013, 02:19
Plumbers. Top of the list, then the others.

sisemen
26th Feb 2013, 03:02
Top of the list? - Hooker.

You never come away from a hooker feeling that you've been screwed :E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Feb 2013, 03:19
and the customer always comes first,

by giving him the impression he's come last!

Slasher
26th Feb 2013, 04:07
...And unlike lawyers Sise a hooker will tell you she loves you while you're being
screwed (you may have to pay her a little bit more though!). On the other hand
lawyers just shove you over and screw you like a poofter chook - and you cop a
financial backhander if you don't enjoy it.

Female lawyers are the same - except they use strap-ons.

Takan Inchovit
26th Feb 2013, 04:29
Never trusted anyone who wields a knife either.

Mac the Knife
26th Feb 2013, 06:49
You called?

:}

Mac

Takan Inchovit
26th Feb 2013, 09:05
Especially the ones behind masks. :}

Blacksheep
26th Feb 2013, 10:02
The only ones on the list who have saved my life are surgeons. Teachers have taught me pretty much all I know. Two daughters are lawyers, so they are Ok by me. I'm very satisfied with my car. For me, I guess its the estate agents who sit at the bottom.

toffeez
26th Feb 2013, 10:17
http://media.skynews.com/media/images/generated/2013/2/26/223461/default/v2/berlusconi-votes-1-522x293.jpg

dead_pan
26th Feb 2013, 10:22
I wouldn't really count Estate Agency as a profession. I mean, anyone with a pulse and basic ability to communicate can do it. They're more like door-to-door salesman, selling the door and everything connected to it.

I've some respect certain species of lawyer, not generally those high street types involved in humdrum family law, conveyancing etc. They're only in it for the money. I've alot of respect for anyone in medical profession, especially those at the coal face. More circumspect about the teaching profession - some are very good and have chosen the career for worthy reasons, others less so, having fallen into teaching because they couldn't get employment elsewhere.

So, my list:

Surgeon
Teacher/lawyer - tied
Pondlife
Estate agent/car salesman - tied

Slasher
26th Feb 2013, 10:27
I'd avoid the surgeon who did this face job ..

And this one too!

http://www.celebrityplasticsurgery.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/plastic-surgery-gone-bad-21.jpg

Um, on second thoughts....

cattletruck
26th Feb 2013, 10:48
I can't be a generalist here as there is good and bad in all professions, and even the term "good and bad" is a subjective one.

I know of one Surgeons' Society that get out the knives and cut other surgeons to pieces for not towing the line. There is more gore than a show at the Roman Colosseum.

Teachers both good and bad often have their arms twisted by the government of the day.

Lawyers are a mixed bag or lucky dip....and if you're friends with the police commissioner or some other senior government official then they don't matter.

Car/real-estate salesman? As they say knowledge is power, so why do so many people dis-empower themselves when they deal with them? It's their job to put the upsell on you, it's a game to them, most will waste your time, but you don't have to sign that cheque.

Slasher
26th Feb 2013, 11:00
If you have to buy a car from a dealership salesman - walk into the office 5 mins
before knockoff on a Friday arvo, preferably on a stinking hot day. He'll've had a
gutful of the whole week and give in to your requests which he'll probably regret
come Monday morning.

Take all the time in the world while negotiating - which will wear him down even
further. Be sure to flash the cash though so he'll know you're legit.

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Feb 2013, 11:58
None. All are equally dodgy IMO.

Bah! Humbug!

tony draper
26th Feb 2013, 12:28
Come the revolution the howling crowd wont mind in which order they climb the scaffold.:E

The SSK
26th Feb 2013, 12:45
Had more bad experience of surgeons than the rest put together.
My one experience of a used-car salesman was +ve
My one experience with a lawyer, he saved me a big bunch of money and worry. I thought the fee was moderately inflated but not excessive.
My one experience of an estate agent - definitely negative.

Maybe I just don't have enough experience to judge.

G-CPTN
26th Feb 2013, 14:34
In defence of (some) estate agents, there are qualifications (Chartered Surveyors) that estate agents (rather than house salespeople) can obtain. Dealing with the management of a estate (buildings and land rather than miscellaneous possessions) can indicate a different creature than the simple property salesman (or woman) who just has the gift of the gab and could equally be at home selling double-glazing, photocopiers or, even, secondhand cars (or new ones).

Slasher
26th Feb 2013, 14:47
Come the revolution the howling crowd wont mind in which order they climb the scaffold.

..I beg to differ Drapes - ol' Billy Shakespeare would cry havoc from the Beyond if all the
lawyers weren't first off the tumbril. He knew how dangerous lawyers all were who might
stand in the way of a contemplated revolution. :suspect:

The SSK
26th Feb 2013, 15:03
Lawyers only have their clients' best interests at heart

Kim De Gelder, the man charged with stabbing to death two babies at a nursery told a court yesterday that it had been his lawyer’s idea to tell investigators he had been driven by voices in his head, reports Reuters’ Robert-Jan Bartunek. De Gelder, 24, who is also accused of killing a nursery worker and, a week before the crèche attack, an elderly woman, admits the acts, leaving his trial to decide whether he is sane. “My lawyer wanted to get me committed. That’s why I kept saying that,”