PDA

View Full Version : Is it still plastic cutlery on UK routes or is it just EK???

quilfaitbeau
22nd Apr 2002, 21:10
Just out of curiousity.:o Is it just EK, or the plastic cutlery thingie on UK routes still on? I mean, on other airlines too.:eek:

It's just hedious. I mean, there's still the wine opener and the cake lifter:p

Edited by bad cop Xenia for common sense :rolleyes:

For security reasons I believe such a piece of information should not be divulged in a public forum ;)

flyblue
22nd Apr 2002, 21:22
I will try :D
It is the natural death of any moronic rule: "adjustment".
Still I don't think it is sensible to write about it in a public forum.
Where are the cops when you need 'em??? :rolleyes:

Galley Creeper
22nd Apr 2002, 21:23
Well plastic cutlery is still mandatory on all UK airlines, but not entirely sure about foreign ones flying into the UK. Heard Qantas were putting metal back on but I've no idea if its true.

mainfrog2
22nd Apr 2002, 21:36
As I understand it, it is a DETR rule that all UK registered aircraft have to use plastic cutlery.

Shadowpurser
22nd Apr 2002, 22:07
Yep - still plastic cutlery here at B.A.

And yes!!! It's sharper than the metal stuff!!! DOH!!!!!:eek:

quilfaitbeau
22nd Apr 2002, 22:55
Sorry flyblue....

I know I sounded really stupid asking about such a thing, but just curious, that is all. Wondering for how long will this go on for and stuff.

Anyway, another question, did anyone ever faced a pax getting really upset becoz he paid for a First or Business Class seat and found it beneath him/her to use plastic cutleries?

Tried to explain once and he didn't seem to care. Ah well....:confused:

flyblue
23rd Apr 2002, 07:07
I didn't think asking was stupid, just that that thing you wrote after, I wouldn't have made it public.

We are still using plastic, and on all flights now (before it was only on certain routes).

Never had a pax complaining. Just happens sometimes that someone expresses frustration on how hard it is to eat filet mignon with a plstic thingie, but everybody knows it is for security reasons so we say something to express empathy and they are happy enough with that.

christep
23rd Apr 2002, 07:14
I agree with Shadowpurser - the plastic ones are sharper, but in a different way - the trick to eating filet mignon with one is to use it mush more like a saw than you would with a metal knife, and they work a treat. (Though they're not as much use as a weapon as a broken wine bottle.)

However, I still get pretty p'ed off in business or first when I get the picnic set. I'm glad to hear that some airlines are seieng sense now - I hope it won't be long before normal service is resumed.

Taildragger67
23rd Apr 2002, 11:49
I had metal in Finnair business the other day. Frankly as a regular biz traveller I have bigger things to worry about than the material of the cutlery and if it is one less thing some nutter can use to bring my plane down, then I'm happy. I still cannot understand why glass bottles (and drinking glasses) are used - I've seen the effects of a broken bottle against human skin & the bottle won. Even in P or J, if having plastic tools, plastic drinkware & screw-top (plastic) bottles makes it harder for some joker to hurt me, then I'm all for it.

quilfaitbeau
23rd Apr 2002, 18:24
Nice to hear all the comments...thanks all!!

The greatest part about the picnic set is that, we needn't place the used ones somewhere to be returned to catering for washing....just dump them all....kewl!:p

christep
23rd Apr 2002, 23:49
And that raises another point - what is all this doing for the environment? How many millions of picnic sets are being used every day? Do they all just get landfilled, or do any of the airlines reuse or recycle them?

AdamUK
27th Apr 2002, 18:25
Metal Cutlery on BHX >> CDG

I recently flew British European to Paris, had metal cutlery.

DX Wombat
1st May 2002, 20:40
On the return trip from Oz: Peasant class = metal cutlery, Posher lot = plastic cutlery (but nice plastic)! I think I had metal all the way out and was in with the posher lot.:confused: I can't remember exactly as I'm still half asleep.:eek: :) :confused:

Silkman
1st May 2002, 22:56
As from 1st May the UK DTLR (dep of transport) have made it mandatory that all aircraft in and out of the UK use plastic cutlery,
to be shortly followed by plastic glasses and wine bottles.
Also no resteraunts, crew rooms, ground crew rooms etc. airside,
are allowed metal cutlery and security have been told to take any such items off staff as they pass through security.:rolleyes:

christep
2nd May 2002, 00:08
Can someone please confirm that Silkman's post is a windup? This is patently ridiculous if true, but it should ease some of the congestion at LHR as the long-haul First & Business customers move to other European hubs.

Silkman
5th May 2002, 07:50
I thought it was a wind up as well my freind. I have a copy of the memo from the DTLR in my office if you would like one !
Security at MAN are now into a 'foot fetish' also now, checking shoes and one of my colleagues was also asked to take his shoes off and put them through the x-ray machine !
Ground crews are getting increasingly reliant on cabin crew giving them cutlery packs so they can eat ! (have you ever seen a baggage handler make sandwiches ? it's not a pretty sight !)

christep
13th May 2002, 06:43
I thought it was a wind up as well my freind. I have a copy of the memo from the DTLR in my office if you would like one !
Well all I can find on the DTLR website is this from 27 March

http://www.aviation.dtlr.gov.uk/transec/02.htm

Where the last FAQ implies that they will NOT be banning glass bottles on UK flights.

So please do send me a copy of the memo that says otherwise:

home fax: +852 2147 2687

Thanks