PDA

View Full Version : What goes in a herb faggot?

radeng
24th Feb 2013, 17:23
Reading Mrs Beeton, in a number of places, she calls for a 'faggot of herbs'. As far as I can make out, this is what is usually called a 'bouquet garni', but the actual herbs used are dependent on what is being cooked. Has anyone any idea of which herbs she was using for a beef dish?

I presume it's called a faggot because the herbs are tied together in a manner similar to faggots for riparian use - and laying railway lines across bogs. As opposed to a faggot of minced belly pork, pig's liver, bacon, herbs, seasonings and breadcrumbs.

Dushan
24th Feb 2013, 17:39
I am thinking lavender.

Maxbert
24th Feb 2013, 17:39
What goes in a herb faggot?

Gay vegetarians :E

But seriously, for a pot-au-feu, you're looking at bay leaves, sorrell (sp?), rosemary, thyme, basil if you want. For soups, a combination of corriander, tarragon, aniseed, parsley, and chervil, but I find a combination of almost any aromatic herbs works well. It's a matter of taste :ok:

Maxbert

Edited to add that you can probably find teabag-like concoctions for meat dishes, soups and fish containing all the herbs which work brilliantly, with the added bebefit that you don't have to fish out assorted leaves after cooking, either from the pot or from between your teeth... Hereabouts, Ducros make such things...

M.

radeng
24th Feb 2013, 17:50
Thanks Maxbert. It would help if she had been more specific....

But where does one get sorel?

Maxbert
24th Feb 2013, 18:10
radeng, haven't a clue- Personally, I get mine from teabag-like concoctions for meat dishes, soups and fish containing all the herbs which work brilliantly, with the added bebefit that you don't have to fish out assorted leaves after cooking, either from the pot or from between your teeth... Hereabouts, Ducros make such things...

Never mind, Checkers may be along shortly to enlighten us both... :O

foresight
24th Feb 2013, 18:27
Thanks Maxbert. It would help if she had been more specific....

But where does one get sorel?

Never seen it for sale in the UK but dead easy and quick to grow. The seeds are easily to find.
Sorrel soup is delicious and it's great for omelettes and to add to salads.

Mine still has leaves in this weather, though not as tasty as in summer/autumn.

vulcanised
24th Feb 2013, 20:02
I bet even Mrs Beeton doesn't have a suggestion for the herbs to be used with horsemeat.

gunbus
24th Feb 2013, 20:07
I think perhaps the venerable Mrs B would faint at the very thought of herbing a faggot:E

radeng
24th Feb 2013, 20:13
She wasn't that venerable - she died from puerperal fever at age 29.

toffeez
24th Feb 2013, 20:15
This thread makes me feel a little queer.

gunbus
24th Feb 2013, 20:19
Oh dear,thanks for that Radeng,er venereal perhaps?

green granite
24th Feb 2013, 20:35
A Faggot of herbs...a term referring to an herbal combination thrown on fires when grilling meat.

Union Jack
24th Feb 2013, 20:42
Presumably they come in pears, sorry, pairs?

Jack

DX Wombat
24th Feb 2013, 21:51
What goes in a herb faggot? The Herbs of course. :rolleyes:

http://www.davethewave.co.uk/theherbs/sugarlump-studio-pics/The%20Herbs%20-%20complete%20collection%20-%20small.jpg

gunbus
24th Feb 2013, 22:45
So many faggots,so little time

Milo Minderbinder
24th Feb 2013, 23:09
you don't want to overdo the sorrel - it contains oxalic acid
A bad way to die if you overdose

Slasher
25th Feb 2013, 00:49
What goes in a herb faggot?

Haven't a clue - you'd have to ask Herb. Probably another faggot's penis.

This thread makes me feel a little queer.

Just don't be overly rough with him!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlGnBo-cxR870yAyvipY88z1IxJgvnCmmW78vMag9-l1Aofft3

Erwin Schroedinger
25th Feb 2013, 06:02
Presumably they come in pears...

Jees, they'll use anything!

SOPS
25th Feb 2013, 08:48
Dear Slasher, please find enclosed account for 1 new computer keyboard.
Regards
SOPS

radeng
25th Feb 2013, 08:52
Gunbus

Puerperal fever is a streptococcus infection affecting women who have just given birth. It was a major killer in the 1800s before doctors started washing their hands before handling the patients during birth.

You did ask!