View Full Version : What was that word again? In meteorology?

23rd Feb 2013, 21:27
I added the second part to the title question just to dampen any wild speculation.

A little while ago there was discusson, here I think, on a type of funnel or deep hole from high altitiude to low through cloud. I was familiar with the phenomenon but not its name. Can any with better memory help at all?

tony draper
23rd Feb 2013, 21:56
Microburst Mr Davaar? this seems to fit your pistol.:)
Microburst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst)
This might interest you Mr Davaar,the names of all those that signed the Ragman Rolls
My lot are on there.:(
Longshanks must have promised them a few bob.
ragman Rolls - Index (http://www.rampantscotland.com/ragman/blragman_index.htm)

uffington sb
23rd Feb 2013, 22:06
I believe you mean a 'Fallstreak hole' Mr Davaar.

Sorry I can't post the link for some reason.

uffington sb
23rd Feb 2013, 22:10
Fallstreak hole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallstreak_hole)

That's better!

23rd Feb 2013, 22:11

uffington sb
23rd Feb 2013, 22:19
Er what happened to mike-wsm's post with the video?

Thanks Mr C P, it's just come back again.

23rd Feb 2013, 22:44
Er what happened to mike-wsm's post with the video?

Still there for me, just watched it.

24th Feb 2013, 00:28
Thanks to all.

Just reading a book of B.17 memoirs from WW2 ("The Wrong Stuff", by Truman Smith), in which the author recalls a "sucker hole", that tempts you down in a spiral from 22,000' ASL to 0'6" BSL. The measure "BSL" ("Below Sea Level") more accurately "BGL" ("Below Ground Level") not a common reference in aviation, connotes the last six inches that matter more than all the air ASL or AGL.

24th Feb 2013, 01:32
the author recalls a "sucker hole", that tempts you down in a spiral from 22,000' ASL to 0'6" BSL.

Add that to the list of useless things: sky above you, runway behind you, fuel on the ground...

Why is it a "sucker hole"? Is there a strong downdraft? Can't you pull out? Do the supercooled drops freeze on your wings, etc.? (With no benefit from adjacent droplets evaporating.)

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Feb 2013, 04:51
As used by suckers, Vis3miles.

Lon More
24th Feb 2013, 11:12
Often used by suckers with minimal experience trying to get from VMC on top to VMC below cloud. Can lead to encounters with Cumulo Granite or the similar Cumulo Concrete

24th Feb 2013, 13:37
I agree with the others, Visibility. It means the American slang "sucker" as in "very gullible". Sometimes, when combined with another word, it has a coarse connotation.

In the early part of the last century the University of St Andrews, now the alma mater of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, was very small and hard-up. It received very generous funding from the American Railroad millionaire Harkness.

Duly grateful, the University awarded an LLD, honoris causa, to its great benefactor.

Ar the graduation ceremony the then Principal, Sir James Colquhoun Irvine (not universally popular, known among disrespectful undergraduates and perhaps others as "Jimmy the Pig") "capped" the philanthropist with the degree. In his oration, Sir James expressed his and the University's undying gratitude for "this succour from America".

"Succour" and "sucker" have the identical pronunciation.

The vocabulary of Generosity did include "sucker" but not "succour". I suppose that's how it was in the American railroad business in those days. Scratch a Railroad Tycoon and you drew blood from a Good Soul with Limited Vocabulary.

In any event Mr Harkness was not at all pleased, as he allowed it to be known. Sir James's flight of poetry had to be explained as a compliment before the donor was placated.