PDA

View Full Version : Flight off runway in slick Cleveland weather

alph2z
22nd Feb 2013, 20:12
Flight off runway in slick Cleveland weather

CNN

append:

...all the landing gear wound up on a grassy area as the plane ran off the runway while approaching a taxiway....

Flight off runway in slick Cleveland weather :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/flight-off-runway-in-slick-cleveland-weather/12139676/)

alph2z
22nd Feb 2013, 22:17
http://imageshack.us/a/img17/2935/unitedflight640x4802013.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/3998/plane4web20130222125811.jpg

Akali Dal
23rd Feb 2013, 08:38
What is wrong with these pictures? United involved in this?

If it is KAL, AI or Garuda it is understandable but............:hmm:

JammedStab
23rd Feb 2013, 09:15
If you take the time to understandaviation safety a bit more......

then you will understand that these things(incidents) do happen on occasion to airlines around the world. However, for some airlines, it happens at a much higher rate. You certainly bring up names of carriers where incidents happen at a higher rate.

A recent safety study put two of the three carriers you mention as among the worst fatal accident rate among 60 major airlines studied. Garuda wasn't one of the 60 so could not make into the worst category.

con-pilot
23rd Feb 2013, 16:44
First off, it did not slide off the runway on landing.

It had landed and was taxing in when it slid off the taxiway.

galaxy flyer
23rd Feb 2013, 16:55
As a friend of mine reported on landing an A-10, when asked by the tower about braking action,

"Poor on the runway, fair to good on the grass". Luckily, just one main slide off and was quickly brought back to pavement. Still, muddied.

jackstraw
1st Mar 2013, 06:11
Akili,

I hope that you can find a cure for your short man's complex. Your obvious pleasure at the misfortune of a fellow aviator is fairly disgusting.
Have you had the pleasure of taxiing a jet in these weather conditions?

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
1st Mar 2013, 18:20
.....Serious question:

Why would taxiing a 'Jet' on a taxiway.....contaminated or not.....be any more of a risk than a non jet aircraft of a similar weight and size?

Just curious, that's all......

jackharr
1st Mar 2013, 19:44
I always used to say that there are those pilots who HAVE ALREADY been off the runwy/taxiway and those who HAVEN'T YET.

I retired before my luck ran out:D

Rick777
2nd Mar 2013, 03:57
Since United got rid of all their 737s this must be a Continental plane and crew. Their reservations etc have been combined but not flight operations.

pattern_is_full
3rd Mar 2013, 07:04
.....Serious question:

Why would taxiing a 'Jet' on a taxiway.....contaminated or not.....be any more of a risk than a non jet aircraft of a similar weight and size?

Slower engine thrust response (spool up/spool down) than piston-props. It can take a deft hand, patience and experience to realize that you may have to throttle up, and then throttle back again before the aircraft even begins to move, (since the thrust will lag the throttle lever setting by several seconds) to avoid getting too fast for the braking/steering conditions.