PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners working in Philippines?

tu144
22nd Feb 2013, 19:43
Are there any foreign pilots or expats whatever you wanna call it working in the country or do they only hire locals? If yes what licenses FAA or European or something else? Thanks

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Flying Mechanic
22nd Feb 2013, 23:59
Yes there are expats with Cebu pacific and Zest Air, think most icao licenses can be converted to the local one. Nice country to live and work.

tu144
23rd Feb 2013, 01:04
Yes there are expats with Cebu pacific and Zest Air, think most icao licenses can be converted to the local one. Nice country to live and work.

Thank you. Anyone knows of pay and all that other good stuff?

tu144
23rd Feb 2013, 01:06
Is it through a contract agency?

Flying Mechanic
23rd Feb 2013, 09:57
Theres also Air Asia and Sea air/tiger, not sure if Air Philipines hires expats.

Intruder One
23rd Feb 2013, 11:57
not any more.............

bananaman2
23rd Feb 2013, 14:16
tu144... CebuPac is the only airline in the Philippines that i am aware of that definitely hires expats (at the moment). Last I heard Air Asia and Seair were open to the 'possibility' of hiring expats in future but as the two best paid airlines in the Phils they have no shortage of locals hoping to join.

I'm a dual national flying in the Philippines and know pilots flying for most of the airlines. Whilst it may seem some of the airlines (other than Cebupac) hire expats normally the person has a connection to the Philippines e.g as far as I'm aware the only 'expats' that fly for Zest are a German-Filipino (with dual nationality), an Indian married to a Filipina and a Qatari (who's lived in Philippines most or all his life and may as well be Filipino... speaks Tagalog etc). Same with Seair. I converted my licence from JAA/EASA and I know of others converting from Canadian, FAA and Australian licences.

That said, I know of plenty of expats working in General Aviation as instructors, flying cargo etc.

I understand there are no contract agencies anymore, any expats or 'expats' hired on local terms.

tu144
23rd Feb 2013, 23:07
Great info I appreciate this thank you

Intruder One
24th Feb 2013, 06:51
all the expats were ask to leave cebu the end of last year. there are no expats at cebu unless they have some kind of dual citizenship.

I'm sure allot of the past expats would like to return if possible........unless something has changed very recently

Fubaliera
24th Feb 2013, 15:50
All of you are wrong. At Zest there are 3 mexican, 3 romanians and and a few americans. As far as cebu is concerned, there are lots of expats, but they have to agree to local terms.

IsawBiTuka
24th Feb 2013, 21:50
How about pilots at PAL? How come we haven't heard much/ complains from pal pilots. Maybe its a good place to work for now? Any info about pal would be greatly appreciated.

isawbituka