PDA

View Full Version : C130J Bleed Air

eddiethegent
22nd Feb 2013, 16:51
Anyone with a C130J Aircrew Manual to hand?

I'm after some information on the anti-ice bleed air system on the Herc, specifically the J model.

I've found some Lockheed schematics on the web which suggest the older C130 models took all the anti-ice bleed air solely from the No1 engine. Doesn't sound too good to me - if you loose No1 you also loose ice protection. Was this system revised for the J model with the new RR engines? Also, what other aircraft systems use bleed air on the J? Fuel tank pressurisation, ECS, any OBOGS?

TheChitterneFlyer
22nd Feb 2013, 17:20
You infer that the older C130 models took bleed air from No 1 engine only... not so. The tail, or empenage, de-ice air was taken from the centre manifold duct. Any engine could supply air to the centre manifold. I've no reason to believe that the J was any different.

The left and right wing de-ice was taken from each respective wing duct. Providing that the wing isolation valves wern't closed, any engine could supply left and right wing anti-ice systems. However, bleed air management must be carefully monitored with one or more engine bleed valves closed.

If a wing isolation valve has been closed (for whatever reason), then the adjacent engine bleed valves would also be closed (maybe to isolate a leak). In this instance, the adjacent wing anti-ice air would not be available to the adjacent wing. With one wing air system shut down, it wouldn't be appropriate to attempt to de-ice the other wing on its own!

Tea White Zero
22nd Feb 2013, 17:45
Eddie,

You need to get out more!

can't think of any large 4 eng ac that is combat wired that takes all deice bleed air from No1! hell of a drain.

J similar to K/H etc but has deicing boots on lower fin in front of HFs. System also works on timeshare as engines although producing a lot more power has less bleed air available.

But seriously - you need to get out more

eddiethegent
22nd Feb 2013, 17:59
That's what I thought initially. Obviously the schematic I have has been over-simplified to the point of being wrong!

In my defence I'm used to faster, smaller a/c. And ones with systems that weren't designed in the 50's!

Equilibrium
22nd Feb 2013, 18:04
Only 'hot Air' I ever felt was from the 'J' crews post shut down was how their 'J' was such a magnificent/superior platform to the trusted 'K'!! :D :eek:

Standing by for incoming :rolleyes:

smujsmith
22nd Feb 2013, 19:45
Oooo, Equillibrium, hardly fair. I suspect most of the C130K naysayers on the J fleet have no serious experience of the 'mighty beast' that was the K! From my own, poor lack of knowledge ( I only spent 6 years as a GE and about 3 on the line) oh (and 3 on base 3 at Colerne), there was no way that anything on Albert relied on No 1 engine to bleed air for anything. Unless, for some unknown reason, a 'kinky' Captain, decided to start 1, shut down the GTC and then proceed to start the other 3 from No1. Perhaps there could be a scenario but I can't think of one offhand.

Usquequaque fides vestri engineerum

Smudge

Old Fella
23rd Feb 2013, 09:52
I operated C130A-E & H models and I can assure Eddietheagent that all or any engine could provide bleed air for the Leading Edge Anti-Ice system. The C130A did not have the luxury of wing isolation valves. Six pneumatically actuated, solenoid controlled Anti-Ice Valves were used. Two in each Wing and two in the Vertical Stabilizer, Horizontal Stabilizer sections. Bleed air, for either Wing Anti-ice or Vertical Stabilizer/Horizontal Stabilizer Anti-ice was taken from the Cross Wing Bleed Air Manifold which could be supplied by any engine. Later aircraft were fitted with the Wing Isolation Vales as mentioned by Chiltern Flyer. Like CF I can see no reason why the J model would be any different to the earlier models in basic design. It costs big dollars to re-design systems and if it had worked well up until the J, why change it?

TheChitterneFlyer
23rd Feb 2013, 09:57
Hi Old Fella - long time no see. Good to see that us old 'uns can still provide some answers!

Ken Scott
23rd Feb 2013, 12:01
their 'J' was such a magnificent/superior platform to the trusted 'K'

Which it indisputably is. The idea that the 1960s variant was 'definitive' & no amount of technological progress could improve it is rather ridiculous although that was precisely what was spoken by many on the 'K', mostly navigators it must be said. The 'hot air' from the J crews was just to try & rebuff those ridiculous notions!

Anyway, such juvenile wranglings are very much a thing of the past & I haven't heard any such conversations for many years. The J has been in service for long enough & been the backbone of Tac AT for long enough for anyone to seriously challenge its credibility.

Just in case, I'm speaking as one with quite a few hours on both types over rather more years than I care to recall these days.

billynospares
23rd Feb 2013, 13:19
The j anti ice systems are fed from all 4 engines and the j also has augmentor valves on all 4 to supplement air supply from extra bleed valves at low power settings. That said you can occasionally get low on air on icy power off approaches.

Old Fella
27th Feb 2013, 11:36
Hello CF, yes I have been fairly quite of late. I am away from home presently. Will get a message off when I get home. Hope all is well with you. Cheers OF.