PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical Questions?

jd3005
22nd Feb 2013, 09:40
Hello. I've lurked the forums for a while, and since my everything for flight training seems to be coming together right now I'd figure I would clarify a few things with you.

Well I went to an AME to complete a class 1 medical in order to proceed with flight training.

Prior to visiting the AME I had to complete an Audiogram and a ECG which both seemed to go smoothly. However during my Audiogram I was told I have mild hearing loss in my left ear probably due to ear infections as a child. (Said it was not true hearing loss and only at one frequency) She also told me that she doesn't think it would be something that would prevent me from flying.

Unfortunately I am still unsure of whether I passed my medical, my AME didn't inform me that anything was wrong, but I'm not sure I would have been informed seeing as all the paper work is faxed to transport Canada for approval.

My main question is, should I be worried?

Nick Lee
22nd Feb 2013, 11:34
It's a pity that she didn't tell you how many decibels you are down in that one frequency, or which was the frequency under consideration, mainly because you are allowed 35dB loss at 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz. but 50dB at 3000. However, that aside, if it is only affecting one frequency, I doubt that it is anything to worry about if she described it as mild. There are two kinds of deafness; conductive deafness, in which the transmission of sound through the middle ear is affected, and sensorineural deafness which means that either the cochlea (organ of hearing) is affected, or there is some blockage in the nerves or nerve centres associated with hearing. It sounds as though yours might be the first variety which is usually less of problem in the long run. However, if you are still worried, you could always go to your friendly neighbourhood hearing aid shop and ask them to do an audiogram and explain the result to you, having explained that you are not in the market for a hearing aid!. In the meantime, get your ears looked at regularly (particularly before medicals) to ensure that you are not building up wax in your ears which can also affect your hearing.

jd3005
22nd Feb 2013, 12:26
Nick!

I guess you're familiar with audiograms a bit more than myself. I could tell you which frequency I had hearing loss at if I knew which way the hearing loss was tested. Because it seemed like connect the dots on paper... :)

If it was measured 500Hz - 1000Hz - 2000Hz -3000Hz

Then it looked like a loss in the 1000Hz range, because the line dipped in that area.

Unfortunately I have no idea if it was organized in such a manner, or if it was random.

Nick Lee
23rd Feb 2013, 13:07
OK. In the 1000Hz. slot, as I mentioned, you are allowed a 35dB loss. If it is more than 35dB, I would surmise that the worst that could happen would be a speech audiometry test with or without an actual test in the cockpit or on the flight deck. from what you have told me though, it doesn't sound like a serious problem. By the way, just in case you didn't know, I am a DAME and a former professional pilot which might reassure you a bit more (On the other hand, it might not!).

custardpsc
23rd Feb 2013, 18:25
Jd, how far did the line dip down? This was a canadian class one judging by your location, I had a similar comment on my canadian class one medical, just on one ear. I was asked if I had a driving job where I left the window open a lot which would have been a good piece of deduction except for the fact that I am english and that ear was on the inside of any vehicle I drove....

You could always call TC on monday, they are usually pretty quick. I was in a tearing hurry and took my hearing test and completed paperwork round to TC medical section right after my medical and the ame faxed the medical assessment and I had a sitdown with the TC certification guy and got it all done in a day. The ear dip wasnt a problem, The only downside of the visit to TC was being grilled about my drinking by the TC guy, had I done it by the normal route I might have avoided that!