PDA

View Full Version : Txtng WHY?

chiglet
21st Feb 2013, 21:42
I have a mobile 'phone, along with 99% of the UK population, BUT I do NOT txt
a, When Shopping, and bumping into other shoppers.
b, Whilst pushing a loaded kiddie trolley [plus assorted other little'uns] across a busy main road, and narrowly avoiding being an accident statistic....mainly due to the alertness of car drivers
c, whilst driving... see above
d, in the doctor/dentist/hospital waiting room..
Do these people REALLY need to be in contact 100% of the time....or am I just a Boring Old Fart?

Tableview
21st Feb 2013, 21:46
or am I just a Boring Old Fart?

You probably are. So am I ... and proud to be. There are more important things in life than a sodding text message, mostly they're irrelevant crap anyway.

G-CPTN
21st Feb 2013, 21:54
I use texts when I am unable to contact the recipient or when the message isn't urgent, but might be important that the information is delivered.

I also use texts when the recipient might be in a meeting (so a voice-call would be inconsiderate), but I want to communicate something urgent.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
21st Feb 2013, 22:04
Having spent a fair bit of time with schoolkids (who then get older)....

Texting, Facebooking, etc continuously is driven by the fear of being left out of the group. Because they all do it (there are people who act as bridges between cliques), if you are not doing it there is the fear of going from everyone is your mate to no one is. The fact that much of the chat is inconsequential and banal actually makes the situation worse. Everyone is capable of communicating at that level, except you if you're 'off-line'

There was a marvelous example during the Arab Spring, when a reporter was speaking to a 19 year old woman in Cairo by phone.
"Hasn't the Government shut down the network? How come you can speak to me?"
"Oh, I have SIM cards from two other countries. All my friends have too"
"Can you describe what's been happening?"
"There was some shooting outside my flat a few hours ago, but it went away. Going to the square I saw a couple of bodies in the street. I think they were dead. AND FACEBOOK WAS DOWN FOR A WHOLE HOUR!!!!!!"

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 22:11
Check out any waiting room - rather than read mags, scratching their balls/tits
or staring into space, everybody thumps on their iPads or iPhones, esp anyone
under 30. I think they'd rather text out crap than endure uncomfortable silence.

gingernut
21st Feb 2013, 22:19
I've just texted Question Time and guess what...they put it on ! (It was the one about Mr Heseltine)

I'm all for it, I think it's a great medium to keep in touch with people.Yes, it's annoying when people come into my consulting room and their phone rings/beeps/sms's...but mostly patient's apologise and turn the bloody thing off, and to be fair, they are as much disturbed when my own "device" goes off..

If I need to get in touch with my kid's, I "facebook" them, rightly or wrongly, but the response is usually instant.

Sometimes it's just a good idea to just go with the flow. People like David Bowie had that insight years ago. :)

racedo
21st Feb 2013, 22:20
I think they'd rather text out crap than endure uncomfortable silence.

Soo true

Remember sitting outside with littlie one day on a holiday and was perfect silence with no articial noise pollution.

I just said listen and he puzzled as no sound and said I can't hear anything. I said yup so lets listen to it, took him a minute or two to realise the joy of it and he then demanded we did it every evening.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
21st Feb 2013, 22:24
We enforced phone-off rules (and access to Facebook) at an all-girls' school I worked at for 5 years. Many's the time I've been quietly told by a girl they were bloody grateful for that.

500N
21st Feb 2013, 22:25
racedo

Exactly why I like to get away "bush" over Xmas, hardly turn the phone on,
no TV, very little other noise pollution.

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Feb 2013, 23:15
55 and love the fact that 'connection' is in my pocket at all times.

Just spent 7 weeks travelling in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia. Faced timed the kids as often as we could, Facebooked pictures etc for family and friends to see.

Online check for flights and email to hotel receptions for boarding pass printing, contacting hotels etc for directions, the list is endless.

Would not leave home without my phone , IPad Lap Top etc :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Feb 2013, 06:46
If used as a tool, the mobile phone's possibilities are amazing, but as the OP lamented, the vast majority of users are like mindless nodes of a massive system. Every day I witness the engrossed causing (or nearly) accidents and inconvenience to others whilst having their face firmly fixed to their smart phone, they navigate through pavements, cross roads and operate vehicles. A friend narrowly missed a grown woman so engrossed a few weeks ago as she simply walked out across a busy road. He slammed on the brakes and then screamed at her for her actions. The response was a plethora of swear words and no acknowledgement of her actions. Next time he he said "I'll just drive through and *ollocks to the idiot"

SHJ

Alloa Akbar
22nd Feb 2013, 07:11
Oh no.. not another "Texting and facebook is so lower class and socially identifies you as stupid / ill-educated" thread..

Pprune snobbery and grumpy old man syndrome at its best.. I could name several well known and respected ppruners who are also regular users of FB.. so what?? Doesn't make them Jeremy Kyle contestants as seems to be insinuated above.

Whats the difference between Facebook and Jetblast?? Really?? :ugh:

dead_pan
22nd Feb 2013, 08:30
Whats the difference between Facebook and Jetblast?Generally you know who you're talking to on the former, and may well meet with them at some point in the not-to-distant future.

Personally I loathe Facebook - I think it is a scourge on our youth. My two eldest are addicted and have both suffered at its hands. As someone pointed out above people post things about other people which they wouldn't dare say to them face-to-face. I've discovered I can now block it on my wireless hub - within minutes of doing so my kids magically appear from their bedrooms.

I'm semi-OK with the likes of Tw1tter but do find it pretty dull and mindless.

Alloa Akbar
22nd Feb 2013, 08:42
Dead Pan - I note your use of "Generally".. Otherwise I have met and made several very good real life friends through Pprune..

mike-wsm
22nd Feb 2013, 09:34
Texting is very useful for leaving messages, no need to answer in real time, no need to clog up voicemail with humanspeak garbage, and above all costs next to nothing.

Trouble is, the nuisance slowchatters and longvoicemail people all use landlines so can't text.

I use my phone for voice perhaps once a year.

dead_pan
22nd Feb 2013, 09:53
Otherwise I have met and made several very good real life friends through PPRuNe

I'm not sure I'd be up for going that far - my kids would have a field day if they found out, after everything I've been telling them not to do. Anyway, I'd only be a disappointment to those I met ;)

radeng
22nd Feb 2013, 11:27
Never sent a text in my life. Haven't bothered reading the necessary part of the instruction manual. Ditto taking pictures. Mobile telephone is mostly switched off, too.

Yes, in many ways, I'm a Luddite!

McGoonagall
22nd Feb 2013, 11:37
Walking down the platform a King's Cross recently to get in the cab and drive the train I was behind a girl that was engrossed in replying on Facebook. She walked too close to the edge and slipped between the train and platform. I got her up and she immediately started shouting that she tripped on a raised flagstone. Saying nothing I handed her over to the platform staff, wrote a report out and handed it in later.

Sure enough she decided to take action. Yet to hear of the outcome but there were no raised flagstones. Might get a day off in court. :E

The SSK
22nd Feb 2013, 11:37
As a matter of interest, if I type out 'see you later' (which I do), how much more do I actually pay than I would for 'C U l8r'?

vulcanised
22nd Feb 2013, 11:45
I have never booked my face, twitted, or even sent a text.

It's staying that way.

radeng
22nd Feb 2013, 11:48
SSK

In Morse, we just send 'CUL'.......

What the Fug
22nd Feb 2013, 12:14
Text from my computer to let people stuff is ready to collect, thats it, people walking and texting is bringing my walking rage to a whole new level

Burnt Fishtrousers
22nd Feb 2013, 12:14
Tell me about it

If Im out with she who must be obeyed and we have arranged to meet up with someone but are running late or want to know where they are there are 2 scenarios

The Male perspective

Ring up, ask where they are find out with the minmal of conversation and go locate your friend

Female perspective

Rummange around in the handbag for 10 mins, type out a text message to her respective friend whose phone will go "beep beep", invaribly once at the bottom of her handbag, very quietly... and the text wont be picked up.

The who process is repeated 3 or 4 times at 5 minute intervals whilst you piss about waiting outside in the cold.

If you ring them , it wil ring and ring and ring until someone hears it and picks up the phone and communication is made.

Windy Militant
22nd Feb 2013, 12:15
Saw the writing on the wall so to speak a few years ago delivering kit to a University. When I arrived and started setting up the kit the Supervisor said Have a cup tea while I text the students, It's the only way to get hold them!

Have gone through various phases since I started this job. First Phone and Fax, Then E-mail, onto SMS and now with the advent of smart phones, tweeting (Twating?) and Faceplant is becoming more wide spread. At least they accept e-mail so hopefully I won't have to resort to social media!

I'm glad I can link my phone to my work PC so I can type texts on a proper keyboard!

An annoyance I now have is my old Sony Ericsson works phone takes exception to smart phones it locks up and won't disconnect on receiving a call from one and when calling out, the call often goes straight to voice mail without the receiving phone showing any indication that a call had come in.
This is annoying when you're trying to tell someone you've arrived on site.
I've tried calling while the other phone was right next to me, and then had the voice mail service call come through to the recipient after I've left them.
It is also wise to be a bit wary of texts as I'm still waiting for a text reply that a colleague sent last year from Newcastle on Tyne so I've started using the delivery report function to make sure I have got through and not take on trust.

treadigraph
22nd Feb 2013, 12:35
people walking and texting is bringing my walking rage to a whole new level

Knocked the phone out of a young City-type's hand late one evening last year on Bishopsgate as he steamed along the pavement texting or twattering - gosh, he got jolly annoyed! :ok:

Lightning Mate
22nd Feb 2013, 13:04
What does Txtng mean please?

funfly
22nd Feb 2013, 13:30
I hate to see people doing nothing but waggling their thumbs against a mobile keyboard but, hey, live and let live.

What I wish young people would realise is the mis-use their facebook and 't w i t t e r' ramblings are used for. However 'private' you set the controls and however frequently you delete stuff, whatever you put on the internet is Public Domain and will remain there for years and years. Television advert showing some silly girl taking a photo of her dad in a compromising position then placing it on facebook. Firstly you need someones permission to publish pictures secondly that stuff can be seen by millions not by the few friends you think are there.

Worse still is the commercial exploitation of facebook and 't w i t t e r' stuff including pictures as well as text. If you read the "Terms" that most click without reading, you will be amazed by the freedom you have given away which can include your email content if you use yahoo or gmail etc. No-one should be naive about this, you get the service free, they make millions, doesn't that tell us something?

As long ago as when Woolworths were still in business they had a firm in the US reporting back to them information relative to their business said by young people on ' t w i t t e r '. Blimey, that's years ago, think how things have moved on since then.

FACT; anything posted on 't w i t t e r' or Facebook is in the public domain, cannot be removed (because of the back-up servers all round the world) and will remain accessible for ever. Anything posted on Facebook or ' t w i t t e r ' can be used by them for their own financial gain and is used as indicated by the high profits that they generate.

I know that I am probably speaking to the converted on Jet Blast but spread the word. Consider the worst scenario that could happen to your tweeted thoughts and be assured that reality is worse than that.

Note; reason that ' t w i t t e r ' is done like this is because if you spell it normally the system changes it and you see pPruNe - funny innit?

Halfbaked_Boy
22nd Feb 2013, 14:16
The SSK,

Nothing :)

It's classed as 'SMS blocks', or 'pay scales' if you will, each consisting of approximately 150 characters, which is considered '1 text'.

edited to say - So the only saving you would make by typing out 'c u l8r' is chronological, not financial ;)

MadsDad
22nd Feb 2013, 15:44
Shouldn't the thread title be 'Txtng Y?'?

axefurabz
22nd Feb 2013, 17:43
Shouldn't the thread title be 'Txtng Y?'? :ok:

:D:D:D:D

rans6andrew
22nd Feb 2013, 22:01
I doubt that anyone would ring you up and tell you a joke, but there is some excellent humour circulating by text message.

Oh yes, and my car will send me a text if it exceeds a preset speed, or the battery gets a bit low, or the alarm gets triggered or if I interrogate it by text message. The message tells me where the car is, how fast it is going, what the battery voltage is and what the alarm status is. Neat.

I never used to send text messages when I had my old phone, pressing keys up to 4 presses to get each letter was just too much like hard work but since I got a smart phone with a big touch keyboard on the screen I have sent a few. But not while flying, or driving, or walking, or doing anything except sitting in my armchair.

Rans6.....

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 22:36
Why do you need to know where your car is? :confused: Mine is usually beneath my bum and my car tells me what state it's in by flashing stuff up on the computer thingy it has.

As for texting, it's OK for sending important details to someone who is out of contact for the moment but to me it's a lot quicker just to ring someone and say 'See you at six at the Vic.' But then being a bloke that's all I have to say before I ring off and I don't have to spend an hour talking about shoes.

I get 300 texts a month on my contract and probably send four or five.

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2013, 22:44
it's a lot quicker just to ring someone and say 'See you at six at the Vic.'A voice call can be intrusive, demanding attention from the recipient who might be involved in an activity (such as a conversation or a meeting) that is more 'important'' than your simple message (which can more sensibly be 'posted' as a text).

Slasher
22nd Feb 2013, 22:49
...The missus and me send little rudie texts to each other
now and then when I'm away at work for a length of time.

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 23:01
A voice call can be intrusive, demanding attention from the recipient who might be involved in an activity (such as a conversation or a meeting) that is more 'important'' than your simple message (which can more sensibly be 'posted' as a text).

But my friends aren't involved in any activities apart from flying and drinking. Good Lord, you don't think I associate with people that work do you?

Wholigan
22nd Feb 2013, 23:03
The odd text has its place in the sphere of usefulness.

For example, wife returning from London on bus. Me watching some TV programme.

Bus due at local stop at 2110. Obviously traffic between Londinium and Wessex makes large difference in actual time of arrival.

Sitting in TV chair, receive text ---- "Yeovil".

This means I have exactly enough time to press record on TV jobbie, have a pee, put the kettle on, get into car and drive to local stop in time to carry her bag from bus to car.

Result --- everyone happy as kettle boiled not long before arrival back from local stop with minimal effort (well on her part anyway!!!).

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Feb 2013, 23:26

We send rude txts to each other whilst at home :E

racedo
22nd Feb 2013, 23:56

Bit of a bitch if you end up sending it to the boss who pays wages............

Cacophonix
23rd Feb 2013, 00:06
.-- . / .- .-. . / .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- . -..

Caco

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Feb 2013, 06:37
Oh yes, and my car will send me a text if it exceeds a preset speed, or the battery gets a bit low, or the alarm gets triggered or if I interrogate it by text message. The message tells me where the car is, how fast it is going, what the battery voltage is and what the alarm status is. Neat.

Why do you need to know all that anyway ? Keep putting petrol in tank, oil in sump, air in tyres -get in, turn starter, select 'D' on that stick thing that is usually between the seats, ( assuming one is not facing a wall, or if so select 'R',) apply foot to 'go' pedal - that's all. Oh yes, throw mobile phone into passing bush as you go down your driveway.

KISS.

Pilots have been using textspeak for years, only we called them teletexts, and they came put of a machine chattering in the corner of Ops. offices around the world, via some outfit called SITA, or Western Union, or Reuters, and they were charged by the character, so truncated language was the norm, to save money. ( at least, Management sent them in textspeak, we replied in longhand - wasn't our money )

-. --- / --- -... ... -.-. . -. . / .-.. .- -. --. ..- .- --. . / --- -. /
.--. .--. .-. ..- -. . / .--. .-.. - .- ... -

Tableview
23rd Feb 2013, 08:00
1 in 7 people have sent a sexually explicit text to the wrong person | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2282730/1-7-people-sent-sexually-explicit-text-wrong-person.html)

As for texting,...... ............it's a lot quicker just to ring someone and say 'See you at six at the Vic.' But then being a bloke that's all I have to say before I ring off and I don't have to spend an hour talking about shoes.

I get 300 texts a month on my contract and probably send four or five.
Exactly! One of my contracts has unlimited texts, I didn't want it, just part of the package, window dressing. I asked the girl in the shop what the point of it was and she said she and her friends sometimes send 200 texts A DAY! Assuming you're awake for 18 hours, that's one every five minutes.

Just had a text from friends with the good news that their baby was born last night, that's a fair use, they probably sent it to everyone on the list, although I'd have used email.

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Feb 2013, 08:05
When I read threads lie this I do wonder how much wailing and wringing of hands must have gone on with some of you old folk in here with the demise of the dial and the introduction of those new fangled glass screen things :p

Cacophonix
23rd Feb 2013, 08:21
Speedbird

-.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . / --.- ..- .. - . / .-. .. --. .... - / ... .--. . . -.. -... .. .-. -.. .-.-.- / ... .... .- -- . / --- -. / -- .

Caco

Cacophonix
23rd Feb 2013, 08:58
Older folks make great use of technology like the i-Pad as this German gentleman demonstrates...

So papa, how do you like the iPad we got you? - Snotr (http://www.snotr.com/video/8965/)

Caco

Blacksheep
23rd Feb 2013, 10:23
Check out any waiting room - rather than read mags, scratching their balls/tits or staring into space, everybody thumps on their iPads or iPhones, esp anyoneunder 30. I think they'd rather text out crap than endure uncomfortable silence.We're not texting, we're playing "Angry Birds", silly.

I text my information when the person I call is unavailable. It saves them paying to listen to a recorded message.

mike-wsm
23rd Feb 2013, 13:10
Not me, I'm reading a nice relaxing book set in the 1850s....

....on my Kobo. :p

Wholigan
23rd Feb 2013, 13:13
Forgot to mention in my post on use of texts above, my wife is deaf and has difficulty with some telephone conversations, so a text tends to avoid all out world war three developing due to misinderstandings. :E

Hussar 54
23rd Feb 2013, 15:40
One of my favourite ' hate-them ' things....And a seemingly unavoidable curse of modern living....

I'm now far too old to understand the reasons for and how to use Facebook and T w i t t e r....So I still have an old call / sms only phone although I sms maybe just a couple of times per month when someone specifically tells me to send them one....

However....Just read the other thread about the UK joining us here in France in having its debt rating downgraded, and wonder why the two governments, or any other government for that matter, don't use mobile phones as a good tax raising tool - would be easy with, say, an additional 5% simply added on to each user's bill....Cost to government for collections probably minimal, but income enormous if you think about how much 5% of the major network providors' revenues would add up to....

Stupid idea ??

Well, to me it would be no more unethical / unpleasant than the massive taxes all governements levy on petrocarbons, tobacco, alcohol, television licences, air travel, etc....In fact, come to think of it, if you can afford a machine that costs several hundred pounds / euros / dollars and use it frequently ( especially the unemployed and unemployable who ALL seem to have one of these bloody machines glued to their hand or ear, but still receive food stamps, benefit hand-outs, unemployment subsidies, even free social housing in some cases ) then it could be argued that it is an entirely optional, user-based tax which would be entirely avoidable if you don't actually have a mobile phone or use it only by necessity and not just for amusement....

I saw a graphic recently, Number of Mobile Subscribers by Country, Per 100 People (http://chartsbin.com/view/1881), which shows quite clearly that in some parts of the world, the number of mobile phone subscriptions actually exceeds the population, while even the so called third world countries have a huge percentage of their population using mobile phones....

But then again, I suppose I'm just a boring old fart who hasn't adapted to a newer world....

Tableview
23rd Feb 2013, 16:25
which shows quite clearly that in some parts of the world, the number of mobile phone subscriptions actually exceeds the population,

Thinking about that, I have 5 subscriptions in 4 countries which I use regularly, and 4 or 5 prepaid cards in other countries which I use sporadically when travelling to those countries.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Feb 2013, 18:04
......wailing and wringing of hands must have gone on with some of you old folk......

and still is - turn the hour hand of your watch to the sun, and bisect the angle between it and the minute hand to get South, climb until the cows look the right height, fly fast enough to keep above the stall, and if the natives don't understand - shout louder.

Who needs technology ?

Caco. -. --- / .--. .=. --- -... -.-- . -- / .-- --- .-. .-.. -.. ... / --. --- -. . / -- .- -.. !!

mike-wsm
23rd Feb 2013, 20:45
Urgh - just had a terrible thought - a forum like this is sooo like an exchange of text messages - so the logical step for textophobes is to post audio messages - or ouch video messages - just to use up all that 5G bandwidth.

ehwatezedoing
23rd Feb 2013, 21:02
Yes, why !?

Pilot Taxiing at JFK Strikes Lights While on Cell Phone (http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/02/pilot-taxiing-aircraft-at-jfk-strikes-lights-while-on-cell-phone/#.USk8iR2zc3X)

While taxiing across the active Runway 31R on taxiway Echo, the Swearingen SA226-AT Merlin IVís propellers struck runway edge lighting.

The pilot is reported to have been operating his cell phone at the same time, leading to a loss of situational awareness. The FAA is investigating the incident

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Feb 2013, 23:10
Urgh - just had a terrible thought - a forum like this is sooo like an exchange of text messages - so the logical step for textophobes is to post audio messages - or ouch video messages - just to use up all that 5G bandwidth.

The subtlety of the above will be lost on the old folk :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
24th Feb 2013, 07:03
The subtlety of the above will be lost on the old folk

Who're you calling old ?

PENKO
24th Feb 2013, 07:35
I text my girlfriend far more than I call her on the phone. It saves me a lot of useless bla bla from her side. Not only that, when she's busy at work she can just answer my requests later. Same goes for me.

How do you know I'm texting and not reading a book?
This topic shows how out of touch some of you are with modern times. 9 out of 10 times I'm fingering my phone I am not texting but checking stock prices, traffic information, news, yes facebook and PPRuNe, email, work mail, weather radar, reading a magazine, reading a BOOK, you name it. Welcome to the information era. :ok:

thing
24th Feb 2013, 10:34
9 out of 10 times I'm fingering my phone

She'll be looking elsewhere soon mate.

Slasher
24th Feb 2013, 10:41
9 out of 10 times I'm fingering my phone

Lemme guess - you've got a naked Sasha Grey as a screensaver? http://serve.mysmiley.net/tongue/tongue0005.gif

1DC
24th Feb 2013, 13:02
I have never seen this t- witte-r thing so am not sure what it is. I sometimes see facebook when i look at herself's i pad, seems like lots of people post pictures of themselves when they have had a few. I was coerced into having a smart phone, the kids seemed to think that i was deprived of summat because i was happy with a 15 year old mobile. I have unlimited text use and send less than five a month, 100 free minutes of talking but rarely use any, i find it very useful for e mails and use it every day for that.
My pc is getting to the end of it's useful life so i am now being told by the kids that i need to get an i mac, then i can get an i phone and with Mrs 1DC's i pad everything will talk to each other. Apparantly as i am now getting old this will be a lot easier for me. Under normal circumstances i would just have told them the **** off but seeing as they are my kids standards need to be maintained so i limted my comment to Sod off..

Edited to try and write t-witte-r instead of Pprune..

ExSp33db1rd
25th Feb 2013, 04:57
The subtlety of the above will be lost on the old folk

5G ?? I dream of 3G - don't even have that where I live, time to renew the two coconut halves and piece of string.

What is 5G anyway ?

Blacksheep
25th Feb 2013, 06:54
But then again, I suppose I'm just a boring old fart who hasn't adapted to a newer world.... Well, you said it. :)

The pilot is reported to have been operating his cell phone at the same time, leading to a loss of situational awareness. According to the CAA initial report, the pilot of the helicopter that hit a crane beside the Thames had sent a number of texts on his cellphone, the last one just a minute or so prior to the accident.

radeng
25th Feb 2013, 08:58
3G was originally called FPLMTS - 'fuppalumts' - Future Public Land Mobile Telephone Service. The first generation was the analogue stuff - TACS, AMPS, NMT. Second Generation (2G) was GSM in Europe and CDMA in the US, while 3G changed to another system. According to a guy from one of mobile operators, 4G is required to fix all the co*k ups in 3G!