PDA

View Full Version : When did you get your appendix out?

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 18:55
Mrs VJ had hers out last week. If you are mature and get even the least symptom don't delay. She got blood poisoning with it and has been a bear for a week!

Ozzy
21st Feb 2013, 19:00
Still got mine. Brother appendixless. When they did it they found bowel cancer. He was 13. Strapping good lad of 49 now (ex Army now a SWAT bloke) :)

Ozzy

con-pilot
21st Feb 2013, 19:28
Same here, still have mine.

AlpineSkier
21st Feb 2013, 19:33
@Chris

Sympoms being = apart from stomach=ache ?

vulcanised
21st Feb 2013, 19:35
Mine went walkies in the 70s.

Gangrenous when located.

M.Mouse
21st Feb 2013, 19:49
I am not an expert but the symptoms of a problem with the appendix are not necessarily clear cut. Mine was 'classic' starting with a general feeling of discomfort as if you have eaten too much or got a touch of wind with the discomfort migrating to the lower right side of the body. In my case the pain got progressively worse and I went from 'don't feeling like meeting the rest of the crew this evening' to 'I think I might have to see the doctor in the morning' to 'I am not sure I can last until morning' until I rang the doctor at 2 a.m. and was rushed to hospital to be operated on at 6 a.m!

I was in hospital (abroad because I was on a trip) for ten days. I met others in hospital for observation because doctors were uncertain whether they had a problem with their appendix or not.

Mine had burst and it was a seriously nasty time although I had first class care in the Joahannesburg hospital where I was treated. Interestingly from first feeling unwell to actual operation was 17 hours. Given that I was flying longhaul I could well have been incapacitated before reaching destination on a sector like LHR-SIN.

I shall never forget the date though because I woke the day after the operation to learn that the Princess of Wales had been killed in a the Paris car crash!

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 19:51
Mine's still here.

Had me tonsils out though at a young age.

michaelmedley
21st Feb 2013, 20:02
Had mine out in 2005, even had my first ever tattoo on it to celebrate. Sober!

wings folded
21st Feb 2013, 20:09
When did you get your appendix out?
That's not the organ I usually get out.

Lantern10
21st Feb 2013, 20:11
Out at 13 years old.

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 20:14
Had mine out in 2005, even had my first ever tattoo on it to celebrate.

You had your appendix removed and then had a tattoo bunged on it? :confused:

gooneydog
21st Feb 2013, 20:17
Slight pain. Drove to clinic where they said 'As you are passing hosp anyway just pop in to check' Drove self in Cat scan in 15 mins surgery within an hour Then quick overnight and walked out next day no scar no after effects at 63 yrs old

Piece of cake at $21000

OFSO
21st Feb 2013, 20:35
Still got my appendix but my gall bladder went on holiday to Barcelona several years ago and never returned.....must have sent some kind of message saying it was having fun as two years later Mrs OFSO's gallbladder went down and joined it there.....

AlpineSkier
21st Feb 2013, 20:36
gooney

That is the first time that I have been able to put a cost to an American operation and it truly leaves me open-mouthed. How much of that was covered by insurance and how much does that cost youy per year ?

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 20:39
Classic symptoms, Tummy pain, as mentioned, eventually migrates to right side, sharpens when you draw up right leg, often sharp pain inside when you scrape a pin across the area. Possible slight fever, diagnosis confirmed by low white cell count.

These days it seems doctors aren't willing to diagnose firmly until one has had a CT scan.

Associated blood poisoning causes high fever and severe shaking, almost a full on convulsion.

Local clinic wouldn't say whether bowel obstruction (Mrs VJ? Ha, she can eat a horse! Oops,) Did say it was an emergency. Trip to Squamish, 1 hour by road. Think it's appendix or cyst, haven't got a scanner we'll send you to Vancouver. Another hour in ambulance, long line up in ER, apparently not an emergency by their standards. Delay for operating room so 27 HOURS from clinic to operation.

PEOPLE were wonderful, caring, even in big hospital. Organisation, shitty, especially in big hospital. Recent $15M upgrade to ER but still lining patients, mostly very old, up in beds in corridor. Paramedics jostling to get their patients seen and then cared for. Everyone needs an advocate in that ER. This was a very 'unbusy' Thursday evening.

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 20:40
Gooney Dog

We'd have paid that for that experience.

obgraham
21st Feb 2013, 20:41
Just a word of advice, since this is a forum heavily tilted toward geezerhood:

Appendicitis in old(er) folks is much harder to diagnose. Often doesn't present in the classic manner which it does in a young(er) person.

And the consequences, i.e. rupture, are more serious. People still die of appendicitis.

So don't hesitate to go in and get checked out for persistent abdominal pain even though McBurney's Point is not involved.

OFSO
21st Feb 2013, 20:43
McBurney's Point

Used to sail off that headland. Can get choppy with wind across a falling tide.

obgraham
21st Feb 2013, 20:45
ChrisVJ:
That story of a classic appendicitis ballsup makes me ill. The fact that no one can make a decision anymore without an f'ing CT/MRI, even though the diagnosis was staring them in the face, is a sad commentary on the status of medical training these days.

obgraham
21st Feb 2013, 20:47
OFSO:
Apparently, these days McBurney's point is visualized on a video screen instead of an abdomen.

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 20:51
even though the diagnosis was staring them in the face

I remember a slight accident I had with super glue a while ago now. After poking and
prodding the doctor went and x-ray'd the bloody thing to confirm yes my foreskin was
glued to my knob.

No shit Sherlock! :ugh:

notmyC150v2
21st Feb 2013, 21:25
my foreskin was glued to my knob

Umm, I hesitate to ask, but if I don't find out how this happened it is going to haunt me for the rest of the day!

Slasher
21st Feb 2013, 21:35
Long story. Other JBers can tell you the whole saga but it involved sitting on
the living room sofa, naked, with a tube of Super glue and a broken dish.....

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 22:20
Slasher

If I'd have thought of that story I'd stick to it.

Carry0nLuggage
21st Feb 2013, 22:22
Still got mine but like many had my tonsils whipped out at the age of 6. (The did my adenoids too in a sort of BOGOF deal at the same time.)

My Grandfather didn't survive his appendicitis about 3 years later. Being wealthy and posh he went into a private hospital in London and never came out. :( Many years later another private hospital had a go at killing my mother with too much anesthetic, fortunately my father was there and spotted the error in the notes before she went to theatre. To this day I don't think I'd trust a private hospital with my life.

Back on the subject of symptoms; there was a documentary about one of those MERT Chinooks in Afghanistan which picked up a squaddie with suspected appendicitis. One of the checks the medics did en route was to sharply slap the heel of his right boot. This apparently induces a fairly localised and specific pain. :eek:

ChrisVJ
21st Feb 2013, 22:26
obgraham,

It certainly pissed me off when my son, aged eighteen needed it out.

To be fair to doctors, these days it's no longer acceptable to open someone up for appendicitis, find that it is not and go hunting for something else while you are in there when CTs are available for certainty. I wonder if TV etc play their part too. Having run out of simple stuff TV programs have introduced us to so many weird and wonderful diagnoses that doctors can't help wondering if it might be one of them.

Still I was very, very unhappy that it took 27 hours to get CDs operation under way.

Carry0nLuggage
21st Feb 2013, 22:31
Don't they whip it out as a matter of course if you join the BAS before you get sent to Antarctica?

bnt
21st Feb 2013, 22:33
Had mine out when I was 12, in a hospital in Newcastle. Not the original in England, rather the wannabe Newcastle in Natal, South Africa. I had a major fever for several days afterwards, with ice packs on me and electric fans pointed at me. I wonder whether there was a shortage of gloves, or something, because I have some lingering doubts about the sterility of the surgical facilities ... :hmm:

Gooneyone
21st Feb 2013, 23:52
2 years ago - went in to remove an infected gall bladder and they found the appendix ready to go - would have burst in a day or so. Don't know which was giving me the symptoms, but repeated severe stomach pain radiating from the right side around to the back. Only relief was to stand up as it was worse in bed. Weird stuff.
Admitted in the morning, both out in the afternoon, home next evening.

Davaar
22nd Feb 2013, 00:58
1946. Believe I got over it.

Loose rivets
22nd Feb 2013, 03:18
That is the first time that I have been able to put a cost to an American operation and it truly leaves me open-mouthed.

How about half that for being looked at for four hours?

Tylenol for $400 a pop.

Sister in law, ricked neck while gardening. Four hour procedure. $144,000

Our $100,000 buffer for emergencies is just a joke. Make that a million, or prepare to go bankrupt.

Medical bills, are the biggest cause of bankruptcy in North America. Told to me the other day by a government official.

45 million Americans have NO MEDICAL INSURANCE AT ALL. Some drive sick people to Mexico and risk being shot.

I'm likely to rant if I keep going.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Feb 2013, 05:03
Still got mine.

A mate got appendicitis halfway through an Antarctic trip and spent six months hoovering up antibiotics. When the resupply ship got there, the first chopper offloaded some beer and a chancre mechanic and returned with mate on board to have it hoicked out in the ship's surgery.

Ancient Mariner
22nd Feb 2013, 05:32
Early 70'ies, stomach pain just after ship departed Newcastle, NSW. Contacted MEDICO in Norway, was told to stay in bed, no food only 20 g boiled water/hour. Fifteen days to Cape Town, very slim AM dropped ashore, Chief Mate very happy, didn't have to perform emergency surgery. Had appendix out in Norway. Funny thing, my mother had the same happening to her mid-Atlantic in the 50'ies, was transfered from her ship to Royal Navy vessel with hospital and had her appendix out mid-ocean. Runs in the family.
Per

Vitesse
22nd Feb 2013, 06:55
Can't remember the date, but I was lying awake in bed trying to get comfortable and watching the Herald of Free Enterprise ferry disaster on TV. I'd felt unwell since the previous day. My college lecturer told me I was hungover. My mate felt poorly too, since we'd cooked up some student nosh the night before.

Anyway, over a week in hospital and signed off for three weeks more on release. I have a proper scar, not one of these modern keyhole things.

Ant T
22nd Feb 2013, 07:22
Don't they whip it out as a matter of course if you join the BAS before you get sent to Antarctica?

No - they haven't done that for at least the last 30 years. However, I did hear that they used to for those who were going to over-winter, maybe as a result of this case in the early 1960's -

Leonid Rogozov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov)

(Russian doctor who took out his own appendix after developing appendicitis mid-winter in the Antarctic - I had heard about this but never relly believed it till I read a detailed account of it in a scientific paper)

My first season down South, an American scientist arrived at Palmer Station off the ship for her first day in the Antarctic, developed symptoms of appendicitis, was flown to Rothera, where we loaded her into the back of a Twin Otter, alongside the ferry tanks, and flew her to Punta Arenas. 7 hour flight, landed at 3am in about 60 kts of wind. She survived the ordeal...!!

parabellum
22nd Feb 2013, 07:50
My Grandfather was a surgeon in the days when they might operate on the kitchen table or back at his surgery if there was time, very early 20th century, before the first world war. Grandfather maintained that the single biggest cause of appendicitis was fruit pips, particularly apple, which was the most common fruit of the day. The pip would easily drop into the appendix and then ferment. Pips don't digest easily in humans, birds or animals, which is how various types of flora get distributed!

angels
22nd Feb 2013, 08:38
parabellum - My Mum always used to say that the pips from apples would do your appendix in. I still have mine. Anyone know if the pip theory is true?

Sadly, I'm minus other bits, including the gall bladder, but at least everything vital is still working well enough for me to whinge about my health. :}

My privately done quintuple heart bypass cost in the region of 35,000 quid ($53,455), which I think compares well to what U.S. charges seem to be.

Edited to add my brain is still intact enought to recall with horror the story of Slash, his foreskin and superglue. It could only happen to him. :eek:

shalo
22nd Feb 2013, 10:23
Had mine out aged 22. Went to bed at 10 feeling fine and was awakened at 1am needing to throw up urgently. Was still vomiting at 6am when i got forcefully taken to ER by a concerned colleuge and operated at 10am.

Yet, it had burst and was poisening me, not fun but better than my wifes experience.

Mrs Shalo aged 38,started having localised pain and some vomiting too around 8pm. I found her on the stairs at 10 in too much pain to climb them. Being rather stubborn, all advice was discarded and a long uncomfortable night followed.
At 8am got her to see the doc. 30 mins later she was in theatre being cut open. The surgeon told me that an hour or so more and she would not have made it. Clean up involved removing all of her intestines etc, cleaning the whole insides and then replacing everything as before - took about 6 hours in all.

All in all I always tell people to rather check and find nothing than wait untill its too late. As has been mentioned before, this still kills people so to those of you who still own an appendix, be careful guys!

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Feb 2013, 11:15
Re the apple pips thing, one has a habit from mil days whereby the entire apple is consumed to leave no evidence behind. Even the stem goes if it's still attached.

So far, so good...:ok:

radeng
22nd Feb 2013, 11:22
I had a 'grumbling appendix' until they eventually decided to schedule surgery and found that it was inflamed and about to burst. That was in 1961and I developed an infection. Was in for 14 days, and didn't really recover will for about 3 months. The time off school was useful because it gave me every chance to study for my Radio Amateur's Examination (which, I am proud to say, I passed). Bloody big scar, though.

A colleague in Munich was being pushed in and out of hospital for ten days before his burst, so he wasn't impressed with the doctors.

Last summer, I was visiting a friend's house in France but very near Geneva. Tuesday, his 10 year old daughter felt a bit off. Wednesday she was unwell and come the middle of the night, in pain. Thursday, saw the doctor, hospitalised. Friday morning, appendix out. Saturday saw her complaining that they wouldn't let her out of hospital to go to her friends party!

It always amazes me how quickly children can recover from these things.

bluecode
22nd Feb 2013, 14:47
It was 1983, just home after a particularly strenuous weekend exercise with my reserve infantry unit. I read somewhere that heavy physical exercise can bring it on???

Symptons were pretty ambiguous, spates of vomiting, stomach pain/cramps. Easy to blame the army food. This went on all night. What didn't help was the a few weeks previously. I spent an equally uncomfortable night but it went away. So I decided to ride it out. By morning the pain had moved to my right side and the Doctor was called. Shortly thereafter I had the full on ambulance ride complete with sirens. Felt such a fake.

Found myself being examined 'down there' by a very attractive young lady Doctor but was in no mood to enjoy the moment. Then I received an injection which relieved the pain and relaxed me. I remember lying there vaguely looking forward to the operation. Then I woke up completely disoriented, surrounded by family, and promptly rewarded them with the sight of me puking. The operation was long over and I was amazed how the before and after had no transition at all. The surgeon appeared and informed me I was a lucky young man. It was close to bursting. Stopped feeling a fake at that point.

Back then of course there was no such thing as keyhole surgery so I have fine scar which has blighted my chances of being a swimwear model. Was out of action for two weeks. But it could have been worse. Later when my sister developed similar symptons. I was able to recognise them quickly and there was far less drama involved and less of a scar. I might add.

Left me with an acute ;) awareness of the risks involved with what is often considered rather routine operation.

tallaonehotel
22nd Feb 2013, 14:52
2003, and it was the worst pain I've had so far in my life.

radarman
22nd Feb 2013, 15:00
On holiday with parents in France around 1958, so would have been 13. Woke up about 7 am with very severe pain in lower right abdomen. Local doctor diagnosed appendicitis but said I would survive a flight home to UK to be operated on. Rushed journey back home (treated like VIP on BEA Viscount), and arrived home feeling fine. Own doctor said 'Seems to have settled down. Let sleeping dogs lie'. Here I am 55 years later with the thing still inside.

obgraham
22nd Feb 2013, 15:14
I get a kick out of how these stories of surgical survival often include a statement that the surgeon "told me I was lucky to survive", or "toughest case I ever had".
Seems to be part of the surgeon mentality to convince the patient of the god-like status of the sawbones. I have to admit to such behavior occasionally over the years!

Octopussy2
22nd Feb 2013, 15:31
I was 16, staying with penfriend in Germany. Had been feeling progressively worse over a number of days, but vague symptoms - nausea, pain, nothing acute. Ended up in hospital in Germany for 3 days, after which they diagnosed a "grumbling appendix" and let me go. Concerned parents insisted I fly home the next day, so my day started with getting up at 6am to go the airport. Flight home, still not feeling v clever, get home and they say, right, we're taking you to hospital for a check. Into hospital, they examine me, can't say what's wrong "but we operated because we knew we had to do something because clearly something was going on". So ended a very long day at 11pm on the operating table. Turned out to be a cyst on a ovary which had burst, (resulting in the same symptoms/ultimate outcome as a burst appendix) and "we took your appendix out while we were there"). 10-centimetre scar, 10 days in hospital, very spoilt by everyone.

To this day, 28 years later (OHMIGOD!!!), my German medical vocabulary is quite extensive.

diesel addict
22nd Feb 2013, 17:23
Lost-mine in 1956, just before my tenth birthday.

It took them a very long time to operate as diagnosis was clouded by the appendix being misplaced. Anyhow, the damned thing apparently burst at least a week before surgery and I was in hospital for nine weeks, off school for four months and the enormous aperture (I was told "the whole lot had to come out and be sorted") wrecked my abdominal muscle structure. Probably where the umbilical hernia has come from. The very frequent and very painful penicillin injections have left me with a severe needle phobia. I also halved my weight ( 8 stone down to 4 )

Extremely unpleasant ! - not only survived, but little trouble since.
Permanent gratitude to all at that time at St. John's Hospital, Chelmsford.

Davaar
22nd Feb 2013, 18:15
Sister in law, ricked neck while gardening. Four hour procedure. $144,000

I'm sure that's true.

Still, fifteen years ago I was diagnosed with severe heart trouble: "You've got to have a triple by-pass a.s.a.p", said the cardiologist.

Prevarication ensued from Canada's Gift to Society in Ontario, or "OHIP".

"Let us know when your symptoms get worse".

"Look! I do not HAVE symptoms. It is, as they say, "asymptomatic", diagnosed not by me but by angiogram ("objectively" as you would put it), and not by the more usual "uneasy feeling" or "biggie" shooting down the arm. You've known that for months!"

The better part of a year later I investigated the costs to me at a leading American teaching hospital; about $35,000.00. Now that would buy, say, a Buick, which I can do without. That is, not nothing, but not a Cadillac or a BMW 5 series or a Bentley either; but I could not live without the by-pass.

The Americans could have me in for the operation 24 hours after receipt of the report from my cardiologist in Canada.

So why not just pay in Canada? Well, in Canada people like me, or you, are NOT ALLOWED to have the job done here for money. That is not da Leeberal way. If you are a heart surgaon, you are NOT ALLOWED to opt out of OHIP and start your own clinic.

Gotta keep the bureaucrats employed and da Leeberal happy. We even have people die at local hospital Emergency rooms, as they wait the 24+ hours for attention. Might have died anyway.

Some huffing and puffing, and suggestions of retaining a QC, and of naming names to MPs and the press, eventually brought progress. OK! OK! That eventual response was just coincidence. Of course it was. So I didn't have to go to NY.

The surgeons are good, once you get to them, past the Praetorian Guard.

OFSO
22nd Feb 2013, 18:16
it was the worst pain I've had so far in my life.

Ah yes. At your age you still have the kidney stone experience to come.

(Hint: if it ever happens, an excruciatingly hot bath and two bottles of champagne usually does the trick).

toffeez
22nd Feb 2013, 19:56
My son was only four but had been feeling poorly for a year.
Our local GP, to his credit, didn't hesitate. No more tests,
straight to hospital. On the day we were moving house.
He went from old flat to hospital to new house.
Can strike at any age. Cost to me = zero.

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2013, 20:10
Early teens - I vividly remember being painted yellow beforehand around the op-site.

Iodine?

probes
22nd Feb 2013, 20:52
Is that some kind of qualification test?
Just tonsils and the gall bladder for me, is that acceptable?

vulcanised
22nd Feb 2013, 21:32
My GP applied a simple but effective test.

He gently pushed two fingers into my r/h abdomen and said, "Does that hurt?". I replied in the negative, whereupon he quickly withdrew them. That hurt like hell !

obgraham
22nd Feb 2013, 22:02
Vulcanised:
Apparently these days your GP would be disbarred for making a diagnosis by physical examination rather than involving the radiology folks.

thing
22nd Feb 2013, 22:54
Only been in hospital to have my tonsils out when I was six in '62 until two years ago when I had the camera up the wrong end for some pain I had been having. Laying in the room waiting for my sedative I noticed nurses walking past with huge patient files seeing to other people. My nurse walked in with a file with two sheets of paper in it. She couldn't believe I'd never been ill.

The results were negative by the way. Cost=0.

Anthill
23rd Feb 2013, 00:49
Had it out when I was 43. I thought I might have an annurism as the pain was up in my solar plexus; it felt like I'd swallowed a shard of glass.

A quick taxi ride to Royal Perth Hospital. They didn't muck about. I was seen by a Doctor within 2 mins of arrival at Emergency.

The pain was sudden onset, I went to bed that night feeling fine and woke 2 hours later in agony.

It hurt like hell when I came to in Recovery.I wound up back on the ward spaced out on Pethadeine for 2 days understanding why heroin addicts become so.

shalo
23rd Feb 2013, 06:28
I get a kick out of how these stories of surgical survival often include a statement that the surgeon "told me I was lucky to survive", or "toughest case I ever had".
Seems to be part of the surgeon mentality to convince the patient of the god-like status of the sawbones. I have to admit to such behavior occasionally over the years!

Not wanting to stop you getting your kicks, but maybe the surgeons (who I am far more likely to believe than you :ugh:) are simply stating a simple fact. In this day and age, with all the advances in medicine, we tend to forget that acute appendecitis still is a rather dangerous beast if not treated rather promptly.

Put it this way, if a pilot told you that his landing was really tough, he wasn't sure if he would have to go around, would you say the same thing? You were not in the cockpit and as such are unqualified to comment.

Same applies if you were not in the operating theatre - these people are qualified to state that, and In my experience, most medical personnel will actually downplay the gravity of a situation. It's when they say that it was pretty serious that you know just how close it could have been.

People (yes, even in advanced western nations like ours) die all the time from this, and I for one will trust the doc who says it was a close call.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Feb 2013, 07:20
You do realise Mr Obgraham is a chancre mechanic and pill juggler in his own right, do you not Mr Shalo?:}

arcniz
23rd Feb 2013, 11:39
Rivets says:
45 million Americans have NO MEDICAL INSURANCE AT ALL.

Do not know if this applies in TX, but in Calif, and several other States where I am a bit familiar, many or all hospitals are under legal mandate to serve people with serious immediate health issues regardless of ability to pay.

So what the hospitals do in CA (one was told) is regularly admit limited means and indigent patients who are unlikely to pay on a normal basis, but possibly filtered with a higher diagnostic threshold prior to major work, and then do what they would normally do, including working up astronomical billings, going through the motions of collection and then writing-off the noncollectable charges as cost-of-business expenses. Those amounts, probably with added fudge-factors, are added to the overhead cost basis that is applied as an add-on to all billings.

What this means, in practice, is that the institutional cost of indigent care (eagerly provided in sumptuous form when regular business is light, one imagines) is spread out and funded as a proportional increment to charges levied on the rapidly dwindling pool of still-solvent clients.

Insurance companies, of course know this, have prior arrangements and also they fight back with sticks and knives regarding billing details, so THEY typically pay 20-25% of the invoice amounts and the hospitals count that as paid-in-full. It is really a racket of a sort that mere criminals can only admire with envy. Health-care providers can scrape the streets for clients when business is light and still book significant revenue from serving the indigent. No harm in that, exactly, but sure there is in the sumptuous markups for profit that eventually arrive as ample cash in Staff and Shareholder pockets. The whole deal is in principle hard to stomach... so to speak, but folks at death's door seldom are inclined to negotiate hard for price, more'n likely. Scots may be the exception.

=====

Clearly this here is a worse-than-unscientific sample, yet one cannot help but notice the relatively high proportion of people reporting tonsils out when young and appendix still in, even when much older. . Given some similarities in the ??functionality of the two organs, one wonders: is there any acknowledged correlation between history of early tonsilectomy and long-term appendix survival??

For oneself, tonsils out at 8 or 9 as part of an effort to calm compounding allergy problems. Decades on from then I still have a very hyperactive immune system, to the point of being generally troublesome. Have not ever been shy about munching apple and grape seed, fwiw, but no tweaks noticed from the organ under discussion... not yet.

(Secretly) I figure it will be stupidity that gets me in the end... my own or someone else's. It is hard to choose which might be the one preferable, though likely that will be more clear in retrospect.

vulcanised
23rd Feb 2013, 12:14
Apparently these days your GP would be disbarred for making a diagnosis by physical examination rather than involving the radiology folks.

Why does that not surprise me?

Didn't even wash his hands either.

radeng
23rd Feb 2013, 13:37
Back in the 1960's, the standard test for appendicitis in our neck of the woods was a finger up the bum, and the question 'Where does it hurt?'

Now I am in the 60s, the medical profession still seem to want to stick something up my bum at least once a year.........colonoscopy coming up in a couple of weeks.

er340790
23rd Feb 2013, 20:20
Lost mine Age-5. By the time the GP diagnosed it, it had ruptured and become Peritonitis.

Still recall the mad race to surgery in ambulance through central Birmingham. That was in the days of real eeeeeew-awwwwww sirens too(!) They reckon I would have been dead within the hour if untreated.

Spent 2 days in ICU and 2 weeks in Gen Ward in total.

At that age, my biggest trauma was missing Bonfire Night!!!

Still have a spectacularly large scar and SHALL NEVER HEAR AN ILL WORD SAID AGAINST THE NHS!!! :D :D :D

radeng
24th Feb 2013, 11:31
>SHALL NEVER HEAR AN ILL WORD SAID AGAINST THE NHS!!!<

Well, sort of agree. But when on a Saturday morning, the night shift sister is still there at 0900 because no staff were rostered to come in to take over - and she's been there since 2000 the night before - and she's had a long telephone argument (I could hear her getting very angry!) to get management to get an agency nurse, one cannot help having a problem with the management side. The doctors and nurses are very different - only the odd one giving a problem in my experience. Which, sadly, in the last few years has involved a lot of doctors and nurses.

These days, it does seem to work on the basis that if four people are needed, they will only provide three at the most and often just two - except, I'm told, in management.

Loose rivets
25th Feb 2013, 05:20
Just read this. Did nothing to help my feeling of panic. The sickening, grotesque greed of these people is ruining the lives of millions of Americans. Very often, taking the lives of Americans.

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us | TIME.com (http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/print/)

angels
25th Feb 2013, 09:36
loose - fascinating article.

Thanks.

Flap 5
25th Feb 2013, 09:39
Is there an appendix to this? If so we should have it out.

Molemot
25th Feb 2013, 12:53
Waaaay back in the Year of the Coronation, young Moley was squirming about in his class at St. John's Primary School...somewhat Wembley, he were...when he got a desperate knifing pain in the gut, enough to propel him off the little chair and on to the floor of the classroom. He moaned a bit through his teeth and the teacher said "You seem to be a bit unwell...perhaps you should go home?" So off he toddled on his six year old little legs, finding his way back home...unescorted, as the Great H&S stuff was still decades in the future.

Reaching home he was put to bed by Mum....and some hours later he hadn't improved so the Doctor was called. Dr. Childs gave his opinion..."Stomach colic. Give him Milk of Magnesia!" so the white milky stuff was dutifully spooned into Moley's mouth...only to reappear in short order. The night's attempt at sleeping was lacking in success and the following morning he was still writhing about, so another phone call to the Doctor who arrived around 11 o'clock...took one look and phoned for the Ambulance.

This proved to be a Daimler beast, and Moley was soon being whizzed off to Kingston Hospital...noticing that the black windows in the Ambulance were one way glass, and he could see out even though one couldn't see in! As he was fading away at the time, it's surprising that there's any memory at all. At the hospital there was a rapid appraisal of the situation and he was wheeled into the Theatre where he was relieved of the remains of his burst appendix...which had given way the day before at school. Two days later he woke up, to find himself in the Men's Surgical ward where he was spoiled dreadfully by all concerned.

His Dad thought that the rigours of the family motorcycle combination woud not be a good idea for his ailing lad, so he decided the time had come to buy a car. He perused the ads in the local paper and found something suitable and went to view it; a Ford Prefect in pale green, JYT 960. Chatting to the seller, he revealed why he was buying a car....at which the seller became a bit astonished, as he was the surgeon who had performed the operation...and revealed that it was the first solo operation he had ever done, bought about by the time pressure of Moley's condition; peritonitis had set in and he reckoned they had had about 20 minutes before the lad had faded away into the pink mist that was surrounding him!

Like er340790, I too have a spectacularly large scar; also memories of three injections of streptomycin a day for several weeks. I had read books about the workings of the body and knew there were lots of tubes and pipes down there so, on awakening, I investigated and found a length of rubber tube with a tap on the end, issuing forth form one end of the incision....promptly jumping to the conclusion that they had forgotten to put a bit of me back!! This whole episode was some 61 years ago now, and I am continually grateful to the NHS and the surgeon who enabled me to enjoy the intervening years....and to Prof. Dearnaley at the Marsden who seems to have dealt with the prostate cancer that afflicted the older Moley some six years back....

modtinbasher
26th Feb 2013, 18:41
My grandad lost his when he was 13. He stayed in hospital for whenever!

My mum lost hers when she was 12. She was in hospital for 12 weeks, and should just see her scar!

My aunty lost hers when she was 12.

I lost mine when I was 12 and was in hospital for 1 week.

My brother lost his when he was in hospital for 5 days, he is 10 years my junior.

My son lost his when he was 12 in Cyprus and he is now 35 or so.

So, there is certainly a trend there! Most likely a bigger one that you could generate with Carbon Dioxide niff-naff. Maybe in the future all folks will need to get their internals removed before they are 11.